royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 95

帖子 royl » 周四 4月 21, 2011 5:26 pm

二十笔实用成语 95

01. beetle-browed, be
定义: 浓眉的, 深皱眉的, 阴沉的, 闷闷不乐的.
例句: This guy is such a beetle-browed naysayer, dispensing religious bromides in his black suits, that he comes off as ludicrous—something out of a horror movie. (这家伙真是个总是唱反调又阴沉的人, 穿着他深黑西装散播他宗教陈腔滥调, 看起来真荒谬—像个恐怖片的角色)

02. before bed
定义: 睡前.
例句: Eating too much food, or eating spicy foods, fatty foods and caffeine one to three hours before bed can reduce the quality and length of your sleep. (睡前一到三小时之内吃太多食物, 或吃辛辣物, 油腻食物和咖啡因会减少你睡眠的品质和时间长度)

03. before breakfast
定义: 在早餐前地.
例句: Exercising before breakfast can help promote weight loss and lessen the effects of a poor holiday diet. (在早餐之前运动可以帮助促进瘦身和减轻假日不健康饮食所造成的影响)

04. before I get too far into this explanation
定义: 在我深入/详加解释问题之前.
例句: Before I get too far into this explanation of how I do things, I'd like to mention that on something like this, there really is no wrong way to do it. (在我深入解释我的行事作风之前, 我想要谈一下像这样的事情, 其实你用什么方式做都可以)

05. before long
定义: 很快的, 不久就要.
例句: Isn't Doug here at the party yet? Don't worry, he's coming. He'll be here before long. (道格还没来这个派对吗? 别着急, 他会来的. 他不久就要到了. 注: 我之所以把party翻译成"派对"是因为它一字多义: 聚会, 宴会, 联欢会, 舞会, 等等; 所以我选择使用比较广义的"派对")

06. before one's eyes
定义: 近在眼前, 一览无遗, 展现在面前.
例句: The world is changing before our eyes as the veil lifts to the vista of infinite possibilities. (当面纱揭起展现出一遍无限的机会时, 这个正在蜕变的世界在我们眼前一览无遗)

07. before the flood
定义: 远古地, 很久以前地.
例句: My family lived there until I was 13 years old, I have only ever been back one time and that was before the flood. (我家住在那儿直到我十三岁, 我只回去过一次, 那是很久以前的事)

08. before the ink is dry
定义: 墨迹尚未干. (注: 常被用于有人才签署同意书或合约就很快反悔)
例句: She will be out of jail before the ink is dry on the booking slip. (在拘禁票墨迹尚未干之前她会被释放出拘留所)

09. before the night is over
定义: 在当夜结束之前地.
例句: A phone call from the murderer informs the women that he knows they're alone, and intends to pay them a visit before the night is over. (一通从凶手打来的电话告诉这些女人他知道她们单独一个人在家,他将要在当夜结束之前一一造访她们)

10. before the wind
定义: 顺风; 急促, 仓促.
例句: The bikers are moving before the wind, so it's hard to tell who will come in first. (这群骑士匆匆地赶来, 所以很难确定谁会最先到达)

11. before then
定义: 在那时之前.
例句: They spend the evening setting up the stages, so you would have to get there before 6 pm. (他们花了一个傍晚搭起舞台, 所你你要在傍晚六点前赶到那儿)

12. before things get worse
定义: 在事情恶化之前. (注: 这片语可以放在主句之前也可以放在其后)
例句: If you have an acquaintance or friend who you suspect is hurting his partner, now is the time to say something before things get worse. (如果你碰到熟人或朋友你怀疑他在伤害他的伴侣, 此正其时要出声阻止以免情况变为一发不可收拾)

13. before you can say Jack Robinson
定义: 几乎同时地, 很快地, 马上, 一眨眼工夫.
例句: They splintered all the small wood they could lay their hands by, and set fire to it, and before you could say Jack Robinson the whole place was blazing. (他们把所有的可以拿到的小木头都击碎再点燃它们, 一眨眼工夫, 这整个地方被熊熊烈火所吞噬)

14. before you go
定义: 在你走之前.
例句: But before you go, clean up the mess you made eating in the laundry room. (但是在你走之前, 把你在洗衣房吃饭留下的脏东西清理干净)

15. before you know it
定义: 很快地, 马上.
例句: Before you know it, 3D glasses will be a part of everyday life, so at least these "look goofy" glasses serve a relevant purpose. (很快地, 立体眼镜将成为日常生活的一部分, 起码这些"看起来驴驴的"眼镜确实具有实际功能)

16. before your/one's time
定义: 在你出生之前, 在你之前.
例句: That was before my time and I've never had anyone tell me a definitive answer on why he left. (这是在我之前的事, 从来没有人告诉我他真正离开的原因)

17. beg leave to + ... (verb动词), to
定义: (正式的礼貌语)恭敬地请求允许+to+动词. (注: 请参考I beg leave to differ with you, sir, 我恭敬地请求准许我与您意见不同)
例句: I beg leave to differ with you, sir. (恕难同意您, 先生)

18. beg off, to
定义: 请求免除, 不去或离去.
例句: He originally said he'd go to the party, but he later begged off (going), claiming he had to work that night. (他原先还说他要去这个派对, 但他后来请求不去, 他说他当晚必须工作)

19. beg the question, to
定义: 令人不禁要问; 逃避, 绕过问题. (注: 以问题已经解决为由去逃避一个问题)
例句: Their proposed solution begs the question of whether the changes in the town are actually a problem. (他们提出的解决方案令人不禁要问是否这些城市的变化是个真正的问题)

20. beg to differ, to
定义: [委婉语]恕我不同意.
例句: You say that the candidates are essentially the same, but I beg to differ. (你说这些候选人基本上都一样, 但恕我不同意你的说法)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 27 访客