royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 102

帖子 royl » 周二 5月 17, 2011 11:33 pm

二十笔实用成语 102

01. bet on a lame rooster, to
定义: 押错宝, 支持一个失败者, 判断错误.
例句: If you vote for that guy, you're betting on a lame rooster. (如果你投票给这个人, 你在支持一个失败者)

02. bet on the wrong horse, to
定义: 押错宝, 支持失败者, 判断错误.
例句: I think that he bets on the wrong horse by putting all of his money into that new stock. (我认为他把所有的钱买那些新股票是个错误判断)

03. bet on, to
定义: 下赌注, 指望, 有信心.
例句: Fred bet a few bucks on his favorite football team. (弗莱德下注了几块钱在他喜欢的美式足球队上)

04. bet one's ass, to
定义: 你可以绝对确定, 肯定, 当然.
例句: Do I h​​ave any complaints? You bet your ass I do. (我有任何不满吗? 我当然有)

05. bet one's boots, to
例句: You can bet your boots he'll come. (你可以绝对确定他会来的. 注: 意指他肯定会来)

06. bet one's bottom dollar, to
例句: If there's anything he can sue you for, you can bet your bottom dollar you'll be in court. (如果他能找到任何借口告你, 他肯定会告你)

07. bet the chalk, to
定义: 本意为下注赌被看好的马, 可以扩大为支持看好的人.
例句: People hate to bet the chalk and will tr​​y to find value elsewhere. (人们很不喜欢下注赌被看好的球队, 他们会想办法在别处找到价值)

08. bet the farm/ranch, to
定义: 孤注一掷.
例句: TV networks are obviously willing to bet the ranch on special sports events – they paid millions to broadcast the Olympics. (电视广播网显然愿意孤注一掷在运动比赛上– 他们付出数百万元来播放奥林匹克运动节目)

09. bet you dollars to donuts, to
例句: Ben is the fastest runner. I'll bet you dollars to donuts he'll win. (班是个飞毛腿. 我肯定它会赢)

10. bet your booty, to
例句: And, if he has to call backup, you can bet your booty you are being carted off. (所以如果他必须要呼唤后援的话, 你肯定会被带回警局. 注: 这句话是指一个警察执法行动)

11. bet/stake one's/your life on, to
例句: They're the kind of products you can literally bet your life on to nourish and sustain your family when you need them. (当你需要它们时, 它们确实是一种你肯定可以得到滋养和赖以为生的产品.注: 这句话是指一种食物产品)

12. beta test
定义: 贝塔测试, (多为软体)厂外产前测试. 由特定客户在大量生产前做的原型产品测试寻找及排除设计缺失.
例句: The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. (这个贝塔测试的重点在于减少对用户的不良影响, 也经常包含实用性的测试)

13. bete noire, a
定义: 令人憎恶或讨厌的人, 事或物.
例句: Tax shelters had long been the bête noire of reformers. (避税手段一直以来被改革者所厌恶)

14. better and better
定义: 越来越好, 颇有精进.
例句: Travel for seniors is growing in popularity because it just keeps getting better and better. Many older people today no longer opt for relaxing at home. (旅游越来越被年长者喜欢因为旅游越来越趋于完善. 今日许多老人家们已经不再选择在家里休闲)

15. better bargain, a
定义: 物美价廉, 更好的买卖或交易.
例句: The MSRP is actually significantly higher than Amazon's price so I don't see you finding a better bargain. (其实这个厂商建议的零售价比亚马逊的价格要高出很多, 所以我不认为你可以找到更好的价格)

16. better half, one's
定义: 贤内助, 妻子, 丈夫; 大量或大多数.
例句: Remember, you are not yet his better half so don't be pushy and give him the freedom that he deserves. (记住, 你现在还不是他的妻子, 所以你别干扰他, 给他该得到的自由)

17. better known as ..., be
定义: 反而更多人以...之名来称呼或认知某人. (例如: 本名为Samuel L. Clemens山姆•克里门斯的美国大文豪, 但大多人只知道笔名为马克•吐温, Mark Twain, 的他)
例句: A new study shows that adolescents who take acetaminophen, better known as Tylenol, have a higher risk of asthma, allergic nasal conditions and the skin disorder eczema. (一个新研究指出青少年使用乙醯胺酚, 以泰力诺最为驰名,含有较高的哮喘, 鼻道敏感症状和皮肤失调湿疹等风险)

18. Better luck next time.
定义: [祝福语]希望你下次更幸运. (注: 也有嘲讽的意味, 要人下一次再试试看吧)
例句: You thought you could get ahead of me, you fool! Better luck next time! (你以为你可以领先我, 你这个笨蛋! 下一次再试试看吧!)

19. better off, be
定义: 更富裕的, 更佳情况的, 更有利. (注: 两个意思, 1-更富裕的人们或亲戚, 2-有时与"假如你这样做某事的话你的情况更佳"之类话一起使用)
例句: I think you'd be better off if you bought a new car and didn't try to repair your old one. (我认为你买部新车反而对你更有利, 别在想尽办法修理你的旧车啦)

20. better offer, a
定义: 更省钱, 更好工作待遇或更有利的方案.
例句: When asked why I was dropping cable, I told them I got a better offer through Dish Network. (当我被问到为什么终止有线电视服务的时候, 我告诉他们我从卫星电视取得更好的价格)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 73 访客