royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 105

帖子 royl » 周五 5月 27, 2011 8:45 am

二十笔实用成语 105

01. beyond one's tolerance level
定义: 超过一个人能忍受的极限.
例句: She's 30 and her immature behavior is just beyond my tolerance level. She acts like a 16 year old girl, her self-esteem is below the soil and her attitude is despicable. (她已经三十岁而她幼稚行为超过我能忍受的极限. 她表现得好像十六岁女孩, 她斯文扫地, 态度可憎)

02. beyond one's wildest dream
定义: 想都想不到, 超出想像之外.
例句: In his high school years, it was beyond his wildest dream to have thought he could be in one of China's most prestigious universities. (在他高中的时代, 他想都想不到他会成为中国最受尊敬之一的大学学生)

03. beyond price
定义: 无价, 极为宝贵或重要.
例句: The invading forces razed and burned the city, meanwhile looting an artistic heritage that remains beyond price. (入侵部队夷平并烧毁这座城市, 在同时, 他们将一个无价的艺术遗产掠夺殆尽)

04. beyond question
定义: 毫无疑问, 肯定, 无庸置疑.
例句: But dogs are even better – they have been termed as man's best friend whose friendship or loyalty is beyond question. (但是狗类还更好– 它们一直被称为人类最好的朋友, 它们的友谊或忠诚是无庸置疑的)

05. beyond reach
定义: 无法达到, 无法取得.
例句: Homeownership remains beyond reach for many Kenyans owing to low incomes which have stagnated amid ballooning costs of living. (由于低收入一直停滞不前而同时生活费用却不停上涨, 拥有自家住宅成为许多肯亚人无法达到的愿望)

06. beyond recall
定义: 无法逆转; 一去不返; 不能挽回; 无可救药.
例句: Her youth was gone beyond recall. (她的青春一去不返)

07. beyond repair
定义: 毁坏了, 没法修理; 无可救药.
例句: That copier is wrecked. It's beyond repair. (这部复印机已经毁损了. 它没法修理)

08. beyond reproach
定义: 无可指责的, 适当得体的, 出色的.
例句: These were men of outstanding character who were beyond reproach. (这些人具有优秀的人格, 他们是无可指责的)

09. beyond the call of duty
定义: 超越了工作地要求, 卓越的表现.
例句: If your waiter goes beyond the call of duty, leave a bigger tip. (如果你的服务员表现卓越, 你应该多留些小费)

10. beyond the pale
定义: 荒诞不经, 过份, (言行举止)不能让人接受. (注: pale是桩子作的防御围墙, 超过了围墙就意味过份了)
例句: What they are doing is totally unacceptable and beyond the pale. (他们所做的太过份, 完全不能让人接受)

11. beyond the pale vs. beyond the pail
[易混淆字或片语]beyond the pale是正确的; beyond the pail是错误的, 只是pail跟pale发音一样才被误用. (注: pale同等palisade即防御栅栏, 整个片语就是荒诞不经,超过正常范围; pail是水桶之意)

12. beyond the scope
定义: 不在(讨论, 理解)的范围之内.
例句: Few things are beyond the scope of a child's imagination. (小朋友的想像很丰富. 注: 此句话如果以字面翻译比较不易了解: 超越小朋友想像范围的事不多; 所以我选择以上翻译)

13. beyond the shadow of a doubt
定义: [法律术语]毫无疑问, 千真万确.
例句: The burden of showing guilt lies with the state; you are presumed innocent unless the state can prove your guilt beyond the shadow of a doubt. (证明嫌犯有罪的负担是政府的责任; 你应该被推定无罪直到政府能够证明你千真万确地有罪)

14. beyond the shadow of a rea​​sonable doubt
定义: [法律术语]毫无疑问, 合情合理, 千真万确地.
例句: There must be presumption of innocence and the suspect must be proven guilty beyond the shadow of a rea​​sonable doubt. (嫌犯应被推定无罪, 也必须被合情合理, 千真万确地被证明有罪)

15. BF, a
定义: 男朋友. (注: BF是boyfriend的缩写)
例句: My BF and I have only been dating for a couple of months. (我的男朋友跟我只交往了两个月)

16. Bible-thumper, a
定义: 过份狂热的基督教基本教义派者.
例句: These 'global doom' Greenies, modern-day witch burners and flat-earthers are like Bible-thumpers as they try to prove what we can't see or experience. (这些'全球毁灭'的绿色组织, 现代猎巫迫害者和地球是平的无知者就像一群狂热的基本教义派想要证明我们所不能看见或经历的事情)

17. bid adieu, to
定义: 告别, 离开.
例句: It's time to bid adieu to the year 2010 and embrace the New Year with open arms. (此时正是应该告别二零一零年和敞怀拥抱新来的一年)

18. bid fair, to
定义: 看起来有可能, 有希望.
例句: This place bid fair to become a thriving little town, but cruel fate decreed otherwise. (这个地方本来有希望成为一个繁荣的小镇, 但残酷的命运却给它另一个安排)

19. bid good-bye to an annus horribilis, to
定义: 道别灾难的一年.
例句: Without an iota of doubt, most will be glad to bid good-bye to this annus horribilis which has seen many incidents of wrecked careers. (毫无疑问地, 大多数人乐于向这个发生许多生涯被毁灭事故的灾难一年道别)

20. bid someone Godspeed, to
定义: [祝福语]祝人一路平安, 祝人成功, 发财.
例句: If I had a child who wanted to be a teacher, I would bid him Godspeed as if he were going to war. (如果我的小孩想要成为一名教师的话, 就好像他要去参军一样我会祝他成功)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 51 访客