royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 107

帖子 royl » 周日 5月 29, 2011 7:11 am

二十笔实用成语 107

01. big dog, a
定义: 大人物, 领导人, 在其领域之权威或优秀者.
例句: Believe yourself to be worthy of big dog status when you are in a situation where everyone knows that you're not quite up to the task. (当你处在一个情况, 大家都确信你无法完全胜任这项工作的时刻, 你要相信你自己配得上这个领域的权​​威地位)

02. Big Easy, the
定义: 纽奥尔良或新奥尔良的别称. (注: 纽奥尔良是美国路易西安那州大城)
例句: I was looking forward to having dinner at the Big Easy because I frequented Dixie's Kitchen when it was open. (我正期望在新奥尔良吃晚餐因为只要迪克西厨房餐厅营业时候我就常去那儿光顾)

03. big enchilada, the
定义: 决策人物, 重要人物; 重要或贵重事或物.
例句: The detectives were trying to identify the big enchilada who controlled the entire criminal network. (这些警探正想办法指认出控制这整个犯罪集团的决策人物)

04. big fat lie, a
定义: 瞒天大谎. (注: big fat在此用来强调某事严重性, 并不是又大又肥的意思)
例句: It's all been a big fat lie. I now have to question everything I'v​​e ever thought about pro sports. (这全是一个瞒天大谎. 我现在必须要怀疑我曾经考虑过的职业运动一切事情)

05. big fish in a small pond, a
定义: 小地方的大人物; 宁为鸡首, 不为牛尾; 某人的能力超过其工作所需求或同僚.
例句: As the manager of a local company, he enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. (作为这家本地公司的经理, 他喜爱作为一个小地方的大人物)

06. big fish, a
定义: 公司或组织内的重要人物.
例句: We took in the little guys, but the big fish got away. (我们逮捕到一些小喽啰, 但重要头目却溜掉了)

07. big frog in a little pond, a
定义: 小地方的大人物; 宁为鸡首, 不为牛尾; 某人的能力超过其工作所需求或同僚.
例句: Steve has both a PhD and an MD, yet he's content with his practice at a rural hospital; he prefers to be a big fish in a little pond. (史帝夫同时拥有博士学位和医师资格, 但是他满足于在一个乡下医院执业; 他宁为鸡首, 不为牛尾)

08. big gun, a
定义: [俚语]某领域的优秀或重量级的人士.
例句: The big guns for the prosecution were its expert witnesses. (检方手中的重量级人士是他们的专家证人)

09. big heart, to have a
定义: 慷慨的, 仁慈的.
例句: I used to have a big heart, but then it was broken one too many times. (我曾经对人仁慈, 然而我太多次被人伤透心)

10. big hit, a
定义: 巨大的成功或轰动的表演.
例句: The pony ride was a big hit with the kids at the party. (骑坐小马成为参加派对小朋友最成功的一个娱乐)

11. big hitter, a
定义: 某人在其领域内受尊重或重要人物.
例句: Various critical policies will fail unless the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) becomes one of the government's big hitters. (除非社区与地方政府部门成为政府重要部门之一, 各种的重要政策将要失败)

12. big house, the
定义: 监狱, 特别是最高警戒的联邦监狱.
例句: After he got caught robbing a bank, Ted was sent to the big house for 20 years. (在泰得抢劫银行被逮捕之后, 他被送到联邦监狱服刑二十年)

13. big kahuna, the
定义: [源自夏威夷]有权势的人, 权威人士.
例句: He is a big kahuna at a Hollywood talent agency, he's got the fancy car to prove it. (他是好莱坞一家艺人经纪公司的权威人士, 他的豪华车可资证明他的地位)

14. big man, a
定义: 大人物, 大哥大; 有名气有地位有影响力的人, 胸襟旷达者, 勇于认错者.
例句: Charlie is the big man on campus – he's the captain of the football team and the student council president. (查理是校园里的大哥大人物– 他是足球队队长并兼任学生会主席)

15. big mouth, a
定义: 大声吹嘘的人, 口无遮拦的人, 说话得罪人的人, 顺口泄密的人.
例句: You are a big mouth. Why did you have to tell everyone our business? (你真是个多嘴婆. 你为什么非要把咱们的私事告诉大家?)

16. big name, to make a
定义: 一举成名, 声名远扬.
例句: Jeff Foxworthy has made a big name for himself by identifying clues that someone might be a redneck. (杰夫福克斯沃西以提供线索来指认某人可能是个乡巴佬让他自己一举成名)

17. big noise, a
定义: 权威, 影响重要的人, 事或地.
例句: Decades may have passed since Beatlemania, but Liverpool is still a big noise in the music world. (自披头士狂热之后已经过了数十年了, 但是利物浦仍然是对音乐世界影响重大的地方)

18. big on ..., be
定义: 热衷于..., 热爱...; 以...有名, 以...出名.
例句: Frank is big on image and not always as good on details and finish. (法兰克热衷于影像而他对细节和最后修饰却不一定很在行)

19. big picture, the
定义: 整个情况, 全面情势.
例句: When it comes to your finances, you need to look at the big picture, rather than live in the moment. (当谈到财务方面上, 你需要盱衡全面情势而不是只活在当下)

20. big pot, a
定义: 大人物, 大佬; 有名气有地位有影响力的人.
例句: On payday he spends money like a big pot, buying drinks for all. (在发薪水这一天, 他花钱像个大佬, 请大家喝酒)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 90 访客