royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 128

帖子 royl » 周五 7月 01, 2011 3:09 am

二十笔实用成语 128

01. boon or bust?
定义: 是福还是祸? (注: 意指论及某事之前途)
例句: Hiring family or friends to work for you can be boon or bust; if you mismanage it, you could end up with severed friendships or frayed family ties. (雇用家人或朋友为你工作可能是福也可能是祸; 如果你处​​理不当的话, 你可能造成断绝的友情或破裂的家庭关系)

02. boondocks, a
定义: 乡村, 乡下.
例句: She grew up in the boondocks so city life came as a rea​​l shock to her. (她生长在乡下所以城市生活对她来说是个相当大的冲击)

03. boondoggle, a
定义: 浪费公帑, 不切实际的工程或活动. (注: 经常由国会议员与利益团体勾结, 贿赂, 贿选, 自肥所造成的)
例句: Critics say the dam is a complete boondoggle—over budget, behind schedule, and unnecessary. (批评者们认为这个水坝是个彻底不切实际的工程—超出预算, 进度落后, 根本是多余的)

04. boor, a
定义: 粗暴不懂礼貌的人, 乡巴佬.
例句: I can't invite a boor like him to dinner! He'd offend the other guests. (我不能邀请一个像他这样的粗野人来晚宴! 他会得罪其他的客人)

05. boorish, be
定义: 粗暴不懂礼貌的.
例句: Let it never be said that self-serving and boorish ruling elites were never warned about consequences of their assaults on America's traditions, values​​, and middle class. (别说自私自利又粗暴的统治菁英没有被警告过有关他们对美国传统, 价值和中产阶级攻击所产生的后果)

06. boost brain development, to
定义: 加强脑部发展.
例句: Teaching your babies sign language not only allows them to communicate with you, but it boosts brain development. (教导你的婴儿手语不但可以让他们跟你交谈, 也可以加强他们的脑部发展)

07. boost confidence, to
定义: 提升/增加信心, 鼓舞士气.
例句: Greece's hasty cabinet reshuffle has failed to boost confidence both domestically and internationally in the ability of the Greeks to help themselves out of the crisis. (希腊匆促的内阁重组已经无能为力提升对其使自己脱困能力的国内外信心)

08. boost output, to
定义: 提升/加强生产或输出.
例句: The V8 benefits from a more sophisticated variable-valve setup with drive-by-wire, boosting its output to 270 horsepower, substantially more than last year's 235. (这个V8引擎受益于更精密地藉由电传线控的可变汽门设置, 提升它的输出功率至270匹马力, 大幅度地超过去年的235匹马力)

09. boost the immune system, to
定义: 提升/加强免疫系统.
例句: A good diet is probably the best way to boost the immune system. (一个良好的饮食也许是最好的加强免疫系统的方式)

10. booster shot, a
定义: 加强剂/注射或补助剂注射. (注:第一次疫苗注射后隔一阵子再需要的补助剂注射)
例句: Td is a vaccine given to adolescents and adults as a booster shot every 10 years, or after an exposure to tetanus under some circumstances. (破伤风和白喉疫苗可以作为每十年给青少年和成人注射的加强剂, 或在某些条件下, 在感染到破伤风之后给予的注射)

11. boot camp, a
定义: 新兵训练营; 短期密集训练营; 强化纪律训练营.
例句: Troubled teens do not need juvenile boot camps instead they need to be taught how to overcome their issues. (困扰不安的少年不需要少年纪律训练营, 他们反而需要被人教导如何去克服他们的问题)

12. boot is on the other foot, the
定义: 主客易势, 情势逆转.
例句: In the past, we had great influence over their economy, but the boot is on the other foot now. (在过去, 我们对于他们的经济拥有极大的影响力, 但现在情势已经逆转)

13. boot out, to
定义: 强行驱逐, 逼走, 开除.
例句: He was booted out of high school for smoking on the school grounds. (他被高中开除因为他在校园内吸烟)

14. boot someone out, to
定义: 强行将某人驱逐, 逼走, 开除.
例句: One year after his brother booted him out of the company, Andy has regained the position of chief executive officer of the company. (在他弟弟把他驱逐出公司一年之后, 安迪重新取得公司执行总裁的职位)

15. boot someone's car, to
定义: (警察)锁住某人的车子. (注: 意指以车轮锁定夹锁住车轮使车子不能动弹)
例句: The policeman was attempting to boot her car and she in turn didn't like the boot, so she booted him. (这个警察正试图要锁住她的车子, 她因此不愿意车子被锁住, 所以她把警察赶走. 注: 这里的in turn不是轮流或依次的意思, 应该作为"因此"解释)

图片
一张被警察锁住的车子照片

16. boot up, to
定义: 启动电脑.
例句: When I boot up the computer, it always asks to install fwupdate.exe, and I don't even know where it comes from. (当我启动电脑之时, 它总是要求安装fwupdate.exe, 然而我根本不知道它从哪里来的)

17. bootleg, a
定义: 私酒; 非法复制, 盗版, 走私进来的产品.
例句: It is not a bootleg software, it is an OEM software and OEM software usually does not come with support. (这不是个盗版软件, 这是个原始设备制造商软件, 原始设备制造商软件通常不附带问题解决支援)

18. bootlicker, a
定义: 马屁精, 谄媚者.
例句: This bootlicker is here treating himself a cut above the rest of us and expecting we listen to him. (这个马屁精在这里把他自己当成高人一等, 还指望我们听从他)

19. booty call, a
定义: 临时的性约会. (注: 意指某人临时起意地招呼性伴侣到某处约会发生性关系)
例句: Last Saturday night, I got a booty call from an ex. I politely declined meeting up at midnight, for obvious reasons, and I am glad I did! (上个星期六晚上, 我接到前男友的临时性约会. 由于显而易见的原因, 我礼貌地拒绝跟他在午夜碰面, 我很高兴我拒绝了他)

20. booty, the
定义: [俚语]屁股; 掠夺来的财宝.
例句: The British Admiralty confiscated and auctioned off the war booty to defray the costs of the Expedition. (英国海军部没收及拍卖掉战利品来支付远征军的费用)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 22 访客