royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 131

帖子 royl » 周二 7月 05, 2011 4:04 am

二十笔实用成语 131

01. botch up, to
定义: 办砸事情, 弄得一团糟或一发不可收拾.
例句: Man, you really botched up that project. Now the company will have to start all over costing double and missing all of our deadlines. (嘿, 你确实把这个工作项目弄得一团糟. 现在公司只好重新再做这个项目, 成本加倍并耽误所有的期限)

02. botch-up, a
定义: 办砸事情, 弄糟工作, 拙劣工作.
例句: He flatly refuses to make any apology for his own botch-ups, namely selling off our gold reserves and plundering the pension pots. (他断然拒绝为他的拙劣工作做出道歉, 也就是抛售我们黄金储备和掠夺养老基金)

03. both revered and reviled, be
定义: 毁誉参半的, 既爱又恨的.
例句: The lawyer killed in crash was both revered and reviled. But friends say John felt trapped by public persona. (这个因车祸而丧生的律师既受人尊敬也受人鄙视. 但约翰的朋友说他生前感到被公共形象所困)

04. bottle blond/blonde, a
定义: 染金发者. (注: 意指非天生金发之人, 而是以染发剂来染成金发者)
例句: Becky is a bottle blonde no more. Just when we were getting used to Becky's blonde style, she's gone back to her natural color. (贝琪不再是个染金发的人. 正当我们习惯于贝琪的金色发型, 她恢复了她原来的发色)

05. bottle drive, a
定义: 挨家挨户收集旧瓶子罐子, 卖给回收公司取得钱款再捐赠给公益活动.
例句: You might want to consider using a bottle drive to raise funds and publicize your organizations ongoing mission or special project. (你也许要考虑利用回收旧瓶子活动来筹募资金以及宣扬你们团体所进行的任务或特别策划)

06. bottle out, to
定义: 因胆怯而放弃, 退缩不前, 畏首畏尾.
例句: I was going to ask him but then I bottled out. (我本来要问他但后来我因胆怯而退缩)

07. bottle something up, to
定义: 把某事闷/抑制在心里.
例句: I know he's angry, but he bottles it up inside instead of talking to someone about it. (我知道他当时愤怒, 但他把事情闷在心里而不肯跟别人谈论这件事)

08. bottle up, to
定义: 闷在心里, 抑制在心里.
例句: Don't keep all those feelings bottled up inside you. Talk! (别把这些心情闷在心里. 说吧!)

09. bottled water, a
定义: [餐厅用语]一个瓶装水.
例句: A new study showing high volumes of estrogen in plastic bottles gives impetus to calls for banning plastic bottled water with dangerous chemical. (一个新研究显示出塑胶瓶含有大量的女性荷尔蒙, 促成了禁止含有危险化学品的塑胶瓶装水的要求)

10. bottom dollar, one's
定义: 最后剩的一点钱.
例句: He spent his bottom dollar on some new clothes to wear for his job interview. (他把他最后剩的一点钱拿去买一些新衣服以便穿着它们去新工作的面试)

11. bottom drawer, one's
定义: 嫁妆, 未婚女子搜集的东西准备结婚后使用.
例句: I've given her some silver cutlery for her bottom drawer. (我已经给她一些银制的刀叉餐具作她的嫁妆)

12. bottom drops out, the
定义: 崩塌, 崩溃, 崩盘, 价格及利润于短时内剧降.
例句: If the bottom drops out, where do you find a safety net that provides your family with financial assistance? (如果经济崩盘的话, 你到哪找一个安全保障来供给你家庭所需的财务资助呢?)

13. bottom falls out, the
定义: 崩塌, 崩溃, 崩盘, 价格及利润于短时内剧降.
例句: When the bottom falls out from this rotting country, we'll watch the cities burning. (当这个腐烂国家崩溃时, 我们会观看这些城​​市燃烧)

14. bottom feeder, a
定义: 底层的人或动物; 趁火打劫的机会主义者.
例句: He was a well-known scumbag and a leech and bottom feeder. Listing his primary attributes like you did would be tantamount to making him a saint. (他是个众所周知的卑鄙家伙, 吸血鬼和趁火打劫的混帐. 像你这样地把他的主要优点列出来等于把他当个圣人一样)

15. bottom line, the
定义: 最低程度, 底线, 重点, 主要考虑因素, 盈亏基本线.
例句: The bottom line is that the product just wasn't practical. (重点是这个产品实在不实用)

16. bottom of the hour, the
定义: 下半个钟头, [广播术语]下半个钟头广播. (注: 意指一个钟头过了半小时, 所以7:30AM, Bottom of the hour newscast就是早上七点三十分, 半点新闻播报)
例句: We'll have more on these stories at the bottom of the hour. (在下半个钟头的广播, 我们会报导更多这些消息)

17. bottom of the ladder, the
定义: (梯子)的第一步; 组织内最底层或低层地位.
例句: Most people start work at the bottom of the ladder. (大多数人的工作是从底层做起)

18. bottom out, to
定义: 探底回升, 到了底部, 到了低点, 价格及利润迅速下跌.
例句: The recession will bottom out by the end of the year. (经济衰退将在年底探底回升)

19. bottom rung, the
定义: (梯子)的第一步; 组织内最底层或低层地位.
例句: Jerry, my friend, in this company you start at the bottom rung. (杰瑞, 我的朋友, 在这家公司你从底层做起)

20. bottom-line
定义: 赢亏底线的, 最实际的, 最重要的.
例句: My bottom-line concern is that until there is the threat of legal action, this company will continue to shuck and jive you with defensive posturing. (我最重要的关切是, 在法律诉讼的威胁出现之前, 这家公司会继续以避重就轻的态度来误导你)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 73 访客