royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 139

帖子 royl » 周一 7月 18, 2011 9:14 am

二十笔实用成语 139

01. break one's heart, to
定义: 伤心.
例句: After all you were my first love and the one that broke my heart. (毕竟你是我第一个恋人也是伤透我心的人)

02. break one's neck, to
定义: 含辛茹苦, 非常辛苦工作; 摔断脖子; 死命地干活.
例句: I broke my neck to try and get the report finished on time. (我拼命地工作试图把这个报告及时做完)

03. break one's promise, to
定义: 毁诺, 食言, 失信, 违背诺言.
例句: He broke his promise and he explained it by arguing that the system is broken and that Republicans know how to work the system to their advantage. (他违背了诺言, 他却将这件事辩解为这个体制已经无法运作以及共和党人懂得如何利用这个体制取得优势)

04. break one's stride, to
定义: 仓皇失措, 自乱脚步.
例句: Nothing ruffles his feathers, nothing breaks his stride. (没有事情能激怒他, 没有事情能让他自乱脚步)

05. break one's word, to
定义: 食言, 反悔, 失信.
例句: You can trust him implicitly; I've never known him to break his word. (你可以完全地信任他; 我从来没见过他失信)

06. break one's wrist(s), to
定义: (挥棒时)扭转双腕关节.
例句: An off-duty detective broke his wrist punching a taxi driver who collapsed and later died in hospital. (一个下班的警探用拳击打一个计程车司机而伤了手腕, 这个司机被击倒并事后在医院死亡)

07. break open, to
定义: 突然裂开, 爆开, 砸开, 敲开.
例句: The house being completely encircled, a small number of policemen were dispatched to break open a tool-shed in the garden. (这个房子完全被包围, 几个少数的警员被派遣去砸开花园内的工具屋)

08. break out in a rash, to
定义: 皮肤生出疹子.
例句: When the temperature goes over 30° the baby breaks out in a rash. (当体温超过摄氏三十度, 这个婴儿皮肤生出红疹子)

09. break out in a sweat, to
定义: 突然开始流汗或冒冷汗.
例句: He broke out in a sweat last night and had trouble breathing this morning. (他昨晚突然冒冷汗, 今天早上还呼吸困难)

10. break out, to
定义: 极迅速地爆发(例如: 火势或暴动), 冲出束缚, 布满身体(例如: 出了一身汗), 皮肤遭到感染(例如: 出疹子), 准备好东西以便使用, 拿出东西以便饮食用.
例句: We need to break out of the financial rut we're in. (我们须要冲出我们所处的财务困境的束缚)

11. break ranks on, to
定义: 在某问题上与同伙不一致意见或行动, 不遵循共识.
例句: Independent-minded senators willing to break ranks on key votes will make the final weeks of the 111th Congress tricky for leaders of both parties. (独立思考的参议员愿意在主要议题表决上不遵循党内共识, 这将会造成两党领袖在第111会期的最后几个星期难以掌控)

12. break ranks with, to
定义: 脱队, 脱离, 发出与同伙不一致意见或行动, 不遵循共识.
例句: One scientist has broken ranks with her colleagues and questioned the research. (一个科学家已经发出与同侪不一致意见并怀疑这个研究工作)

13. break ranks, to
定义: 脱队, 脱离, 发出与同伙不一致意见或行动, 不遵循共识.
例句: Two owners broke ranks and said they were against locking out the players. (两个球队东主发出与同业不一致意见并说他们反对不准许球员工作)

14. break rules, to
定义: 违规, 违法.
例句: The reason some people break rules is because it may make them look cool, or it may be funny, but sometimes people just don't know better. (有些人违法的原因是因为它可以让他们看起来很酷,或也许看起来好玩, 但有时候也因为人们的愚昧无知)

15. break someone of something, to
定义: 戒除或阻止某人的坏习惯或恶行.
例句: His friends have tried everything to break him of his smoking habit. (他的朋友们想尽办法要他戒掉吸烟的习惯)

16. break someone's heart, to
定义: 伤了某人的心.
例句: If a girl is stupid enough to love you after you broke her heart, I guarantee you, she is the one. (如果一个女孩蠢得利害在你伤了她的心之后仍爱你, 我向你保证,她就是这样的人)

17. break someone's serve, to
定义: [网球术语]在对手先发球下赢球.
例句: The Spaniard raced to a 4-2 lead in the first set but the Hungarian broke her serve twice to take the set. (这个西班牙选手抢先在第一局取得4比2领先但是这个匈牙利选手两次在对手先发球下赢球并赢得这局球)

18. break step, to
定义: 步伐与别人不一致, 步调紊乱.
例句: The soldier was startled and broke step. (这个士兵因为受到惊吓而步伐紊乱)

19. break sweat, to
定义: [英国]开始出汗.
例句: You can run around your neighborhood donned in a snug and high-performance sweatshirt without feeling uneasy even if you are breaking sweat. (你可以穿上舒适及高性能的汗衫在邻近地区跑步, 即使你流汗也不会感觉不舒服)

20. break the back of someone, to
定义: 制服, 压倒, 克服.
例句: His parents owned a small lot of hard clay and rock that broke the back of his father and put him in an early grave just trying to scratch out enough food to feed his family. (他父母拥有一小块硬土和岩石的贫瘠地, 只为了凑足食物养家他父亲被压得喘不过气来并且早逝)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 56 访客