royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 140

帖子 royl » 周二 7月 19, 2011 10:11 pm

二十笔实用成语 140

01. break the back of the beast, to
定义: 完成/克服一个挑战, 克服最艰难的问题.
例句: After hours of effort, the technicians finally broke the back of the beast and turned the electricity back on again. (经过几个小时努力之后, 技术员终于克服这个最艰难的问题, 再次把电力接通)

02. break the bank, to
定义: 太昂贵, 令人付不起, 令人破产.
例句: It will hardly break the bank if we go out to dinner just once. (如果我们到外面只吃一次饭, 我们未必付不起)

03. break the case, to
定义: 破获刑案.
例句: At this point, her cooperation would help break the case. But the DAs may not need her if Brown is willing to strike a plea deal. (在此时刻, 她的合作会帮助破案. 但是如果布朗愿意接受认罪协商的话, 地区检察官也许不需要她的帮助)

04. break the ice, to
定义: 跟陌生人起个话题.
例句: Andy likes to tell a joke to break the ice – to help everybody relax. (安迪喜欢说个笑话来打破冷场—为了帮助大家放轻松)

05. break the law, to
定义: 犯法.
例句: Two-time presidential candidate, John Edwards says he has done wrong but did not break the law. (两度总统后选人, 约翰爱德华兹说他犯了错但并没犯法)

06. break the logjam in negotiations, to
定义: 打破谈判僵局.
例句: He was called in to try to break the logjam in the negotiations. (他被召唤来试图打破谈判僵局)

07. break the mold, to
定义: 打破固有模式, 展现新作风, 打破传统, 表现极为优异.
例句: Voters are looking for a candidate who will break the mold and give them honest answers. (选民在寻找一个愿意打破固有模式和给他们诚实答案的后选人)

08. break the news, to
定义: 第一个告诉某人一个消息, 首发最新消息或新闻.
例句: We tried to break the news to her gently. (我们试图婉转地把这个坏消息告诉她)

09. break the record, to
定义: 打破过去的记录.
例句: The coach believes Bev can break the record in long jump. (这个教练相信贝夫有能力打破跳远记录)

10. break the rules, to
定义: 违背某规定, 违反某法令.
例句: If you break the rules, you'll be asked to leave. (如果你违反规定, 你会被要求离开)

11. break the silence, to
定义: 不再保持缄默, 把秘密真相公诸于世.
例句: When he accused us of the crime, my brother broke the silence. (当他控告我们这件罪行时, 我兄弟不再保持缄默)

12. break the tie, to
定义: 打破僵局, 打破平手局面, 决定胜负.
例句: Whoever wins in Florida will have enough votes to break the tie. (不论谁赢得佛罗里达州将会拥有足够的选票打破平手局面)

13. break through, to
定义: 突破包围或阻挡, 做出知识或技术上的突破.
例句: The sun finally began to break through. (太阳终于开始出现)

14. break time, a
定义: 短暂休息时间.
例句: Students are NOT permitted to leave campus and return during the break time between exams. (学生们不准许在考试中档休息时间离开校园再回来)

15. break up with someone, to
定义: 与人绝交, 男女朋友断交.
例句: She probably still likes you but would look stupid to ask you to get back together because she broke up with you. (她可能还喜欢你, 但要她要求跟你重叙旧情又让她显得愚蠢因为当初是她跟你分手)

16. break up, to
定义: 分裂, 一对情侣分手, 失态尤其无忌的大笑, 令人大笑, 终结, 结束, 废弃, 摧毁, 碎裂, 中断流通或流程, 分解, 腐烂.
例句: The demonstration broke up when the police arrived. (当警察到达现场时, 这个示威游行结束)

17. break wind, to
定义: 放屁, 排气.
例句: The people in the elevator held their breath when they heard the little old lady break wind. (当他们听到这位小老太太放屁时, 这个电梯里的人都闭住呼吸)

18. break with, to
定义: 断绝关系, 分离, 背离, 拒绝.
例句: It is in your power as a human being to break with the past, to set out a different course. In short, you have the power to recreate yourself. (作为一个人, 你有能力跟你的过去分道扬镳, 走向另一个截然不同的道路. 简单地说, 你有能力重新创造你自己)

19. break, a
定义: 短期休息, 喘息机会, 机会, 幸运, 好运.
例句: I need a break from people…people who demand of me, take advantage of me, and lack respect for me. (我需要一个脱离人们的喘息机会…离开那些有求于我的, 占我便宜的, 和对我不尊重的人们)

20. breakaway province, a
定义: 赞成独立, 分离一省.
例句: Georgian troops have retreated from the breakaway province of South Ossetia and their president has ordered them to observe a ceasefire. (格鲁吉亚部队已经从分离的南奥塞梯省撤退, 他们的总统已经命令他们遵守停战协议)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 76 访客