回复
royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 141

帖子 royl » 周三 7月 20, 2011 2:31 pm

二十笔实用成语 141

01 breakdown
定义: [名词]失灵, 抛锚, 失败, 垮台, 分裂, 身心及精神崩溃, 分解, 腐烂, 分别, 分类.
例句: After his breakdown, he found an occupation with less stress. (在他精神崩溃之后, 他找到一份比较轻松的工作)

02 breakdown of figures, a
定义: 数字的分类及分析.
例句: Though no breakdown of figures has been made public, many of the children being pulled out of school are thought to be girls. (虽然没有数字的分类被公布出来, 许多退学的儿童被认为是女孩)

03 break-in
定义: [名词]非法闯入别人宅内的行为, 一系列的功能测试, 初用阶段机器零件互相适应.
例句: There was an attempted break-in at our house while we were away last night. (昨晚在我们出门的时候有人试图非法闯入我们的家)

04 Breaking and Entering (B&E), the
定义: [法律术语]犯罪行为: 非法侵入他人住宅或建筑物.
例句: When I was going to university there was a B&E in my apartment. (在我上大学的时候, 有人曾非法侵入我们的公寓)

05 breaking point
定义: [名词]决裂点, 崩溃点, 在压力下屈服点, 重要关头.
例句: Tensions between the two groups had reached the breaking point. (两个团体之间的对立已经达到决裂点)

06 breakthrough
定义: [名词]第一个显著的成功, 攻方突破并穿越守方的防线, 突破障碍物, 在学术或科技领域上的突破或突然进展.
例句: The police have announced a breakthrough in the murder case. (警方已经宣布在这个谋杀案件上取得突破性进展)

07 breakup
定义: [名词]分手, 分离, 春天时结冰溶化并分裂分离.
例句: Since their breakup, I don't know where to send my Christmas cards. (自从他们两人分手后, 我不知道该把我的圣诞卡寄往何处)

08 breast-beating, a
定义: 捶胸顿足, 击胸表示激动情绪(例如: 痛苦, 愤怒, 指控, 后悔).
例句: Please, no more breast beating. Our job is to regroup and rebuild. (帮帮忙, 别再捶胸顿足. 我们的工作是重整队伍和重建)

09 breath of fresh air, a
定义: 呼吸新鲜空气; 一股清新的变化或现象.
例句: After dealing for so long with a difficult boss, our new supervisor is a breath of fresh air. (经过长时间地跟一个难对付的老板相处之后, 我们的新上任主管有如一股清新的变化)

10 breath of life, the
定义: 必需品, 不可或缺的东西.
例句: I sing because it is like the breath of life to me; I can't live without it. (我之所以唱歌是因为这是我生活不可或缺的东西; 我过日子没法没有它)

11 breath of scandal, a
定义: 有丑闻之嫌, 涉有一丝丑闻.
例句: He was Buffett's heir apparent before resigning abruptly amid a breath of scandal involving Buffett's $9 billion acquisition of Lubrizol Corp. (他在巴菲特以九十亿美元收购路博润公司之时因有涉及丑闻之嫌而闪电辞职; 在此之前他本来是巴菲特的法定接班人)

12 breath of wind, a
定义: 一股微风.
例句: In the evening, the lake was calm. There wasn't a breath of wind. (在傍晚时, 这片湖水平静. 完全没有一丝微风)

13 breathalyzer test, a
定义: 驾驶人酒精测试. (注: 公路警员用来测试驾驶人身上酒精程度以决定他是否酒醉驾车)
例句: If you are driving in New Jersey and a police officer pulls you over on suspicion of DUI, he will most likely ask you to do a breathalyzer test. (如果你在新泽西州开车, 一个警官因为怀疑你酒醉驾车要你路边停下来, 他很可能会要求你做一个酒精测试)

14 breathe a little easier, to
定义: 松口气; 心里上放轻松, 卸下重担.
例句: John can breathe a little easier now that he has paid off his debt to Uncle Sam; he coughed up $1.3 million dollars to pay off tax. (约翰已经付清了欠美国政府的债, 现在可以松口气了; 他拿出了一百三十万块钱缴清欠税)

15 breathe a sigh of relief, to
例句: When we saw the children were safe, we breathed a sigh of relief. (当我们看到小朋友都安全无恙之时, 我们心头上卸下一块重担)

16 breathe down someone's neck, to
定义: 紧叮着某人, 给人压力.
例句: My boss has been breathing down my neck all day to try and get me to work harder. (我老板整天紧叮着我, 想尽办法要我更辛勤工作)

17 breathe easily, to
例句: Mother said, "I won't breathe easy until this plane is on the ground!" (母亲说, "我不到飞机着陆之前我是不会心头上放轻松!")

18 breathe easy, to
例句: We can all breathe easy now. I can't believe I was so worried our property in Arizona after the big fire last month. (现在我们可以松口气了. 在上个月的大火灾之后, 我真不相信我这么担心我们在亚利桑那州的房产)

19 breathe freely, to
例句: I'm satisfied that we can breathe freely again on this deeply divided issue between two warring groups that finally reached a compromise. (这两个敌对的团体在这个极为分歧的问题上终于达成妥协让我很满意, 我又可以放轻松下来)

20 breathe life into, to
定义: 给予生机, 复苏, 振奋, 使...更为有趣生动.
例句: Rick Snyder breathed new life into a proposal some believed was never going to get off the ground. (瑞克史耐得给予这个计划一个生机, 有些人认为这个计划根本不会有机会顺利开始)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 62 访客