royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 159

帖子 royl » 周日 8月 14, 2011 12:29 am

二十笔实用成语 159

01. buns, the
定义: [俚语]臀部.
例句: This exercise will firm up your buns. (这个运动会使你臀部更结实)

02. burbs, the
定义: [俚语]市郊. (注: burbs是suburbs的缩写)
例句: That's Jan's dream: two children and a home in the burbs. (那就是珍的梦想: 一对儿女和一栋市郊房子)

03. burden of proof, the
定义: [法律术语]证明一个指控的责任.
例句: Beyond reasonable doubt is the highest standard used as the burden of proof in Anglo-American jurisprudence and typically only applies in criminal proceedings. (证据确凿是英美法学使用在证明指控责任的最高标准, 它一般只应用在刑事诉讼程序上)

04. burden someone with, to
定义: 加诸在某人身上责任, 添麻烦, 增加重担.
例句: I don't wish to burden you with additional information. We hope you can offer information or steer us in the right direction. (我不想再拿更多资料给你添麻烦. 我们希望你提供资料或指引我们正确方向)

05. burdened with, be
定义: 肩负, 负重, 受压力, 为...所累.
例句: For the rest of his life he was burdened with the knowledge that he had done nothing to help them. (在他的下半生, 他为他了解到他曾见死不救他们所累. 注: 意指他为他曾经见到他们急需帮助时却袖手旁观感到内疚)

06. burger, a
定义: 汉堡三明治. (注: burger是hamburger的简称)
例句: I'll have a burger with fries, please. (请给我一份汉堡和炸薯条)

07. burial ground, a
定义: 坟场, 坟地, 公墓.
例句: This is the gladiator burial ground—the final resting place of warriors who battled wild beasts and each other before being killed with a hammer blow to the skull. (这是个斗士坟场—这些跟野兽战斗, 互相杀戮, 最终被铁锤猛击头骨而身亡的勇士们最后安息处)

08. burial plot, a
定义: 墓地.
例句: Purchasing a burial plot can be done far ahead of time or at the time of an impending funeral. (购买一块墓地可以很早就办好但可以在快要办丧礼时再购买也不迟)

09. burn a hole in one's pocket, to
定义: 手头留不住钱, 一有钱就花掉, 急于花掉钱.
例句: The money has been burning a hole in his pocket and I am sure that he will spend it soon. (他一直急于想要花掉手上一笔钱, 我肯定他很快地就会用光它)

10. burn at the stake, to
定义: 残酷的惩罚, 将人绑在柱子上烧死.
例句: The 16th and 17th centuries saw a witch-hunt such as the world had never seen. As many as 200,000 people were burned at the stake for witchcraft during this time. (十六和十七世纪见证了从所未见的猎巫运动. 在此期间, 高达二十万人因施行巫术被绑在柱子上烧死)

11. burn away, to
定义: 供应燃烧; 烧尽; 烧除, 烧掉.
例句: The outer layer of wooden shingles burned away quickly in the fire. (大火迅速吞噬了木瓦片的外层)

12. burn down, to
定义: 烧毁, 烧成灰烬, 烧为平地; (因燃料用尽)烧完.
例句: The neighbor's house burned down completely during the night. (在夜间, 这个临居的房子完全烧毁)

13. burn fat, to
定义: 运动, 燃烧脂肪, 减肥.
例句: A recent study shows that the asthma drug Formoterol has the ability to burn fat and prevent muscle loss. (一个最近的研究显示气喘药物福莫特罗具有消除脂肪和防止肌肉萎缩的功能)

14. burn in effigy, to
定义: 烧刍像, 肖像抗议.
例句: I think whoever wants to can burn in effigy anyone they want to. It's called the First Amendment. (我认为任何人想要做, 能够去做他想要烧的任何人刍像. 这叫作宪法第一修正案. 注: 宪法第一修正案中有一段有关freedom of speech也就是言论或表达的自由)

15. burn into, to
定义: 留下不可抹去的印象.
例句: The image is burned in my mind. (我不能忘却这个印象)

16. burn off, to
定义: (因燃料用尽)烧完, 以火烧除或清除一片草地或树林.
例句: The hot sun had burned the paint off the sign years before. (炙热太阳多年前已把这片招牌上的油漆晒/烧掉了)

17. burn off/up calories/fat, to
定义: 减肥, 消除热量/脂肪.
例句: The only real way to burn off calories is to raise your level of exercise, whilst following a calorie-controlled diet. (唯一真正消除热量的方法是增加你运动的强度, 同时遵循一个控制热量的饮食)

18. burn one's bed to catch a flea, to
定义: 良莠不分一起毁灭, (为了抓跳蚤把床烧了)愚蠢的行为.
例句: Only a fool will burn his bed to catch a flea. (只有傻瓜才会良莠不分一起毁灭)

19. burn one's boat, to
定义: 破釜沉舟, 不给自己留退路.
例句: If you are being pushed around mentally by thoughts of fear, anxiety, and worry, it's time to burn your boat and become fully committed to your career. (如果你在心理上被恐惧, 焦虑和忧愁所摆布的话, 这该是你破釜沉舟, 一心一意致力于你生涯的时候)

20. burn one's bridges, to
定义: 过河拆桥, 不给自己留退路.
例句: Even though you're quitting your job tomorrow, try not to burn your bridges. You never know when you'll need their help in the future. (尽管你明天辞去你的工作, 你要避免过河拆桥. 天晓得你以后还需要他们的帮助)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 34 访客