royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 160

帖子 royl » 周二 8月 16, 2011 12:43 am

二十笔实用成语 160

01. burn one's fingers, to
定义: 因管别人闲事或冒险使自己受损失.
例句: My father burned his fingers on the stock market and doesn't want to invest money there again. (我父亲曾在股市遭到损失, 他再也不想投资股票)

02. burn out, to
定义: 因长期精神压力或劳累而心力交瘁; 因火灾而撤出; 因燃料用尽而烧完; 因累积的高热而失去功能.
例句: Working too hard can cause a person to burn out. (工作过于劳累会造成一个人心力交瘁)

03. burn rubber, to
定义: 车子高速行驶.
例句: Once we were burning rubber on Highway 99, we noticed an abrupt shift in the landscape, from farmland to scrubby palms and tall cacti. (一旦我们高速行驶在九十九号公路上, 我们注意到突然的景观转变,从农田转变为短小棕榈树丛和高大仙人掌林)

04. burn someone up, to
定义: 激得某人怒火冲天, 使某人念念不忘.
例句: Although it burns me up inside, I pretended to be happy for my co-worker's promotion. (尽管我怒火中烧, 我外表上还是假装着为我同事的升迁高兴)

05. burn something to a frazzle, to
定义: (食物)烧焦了, 烤焦了.
例句: The toast had been burned to a frazzle. (这片土司面包被烤焦了)

06. burn the candle at both ends, to
定义: 蜡烛两头烧, 过着过度劳累或纵欲的生活, 过着两头兼顾的疲劳日子.
例句: He has been burning the candle at both ends with his work and his studies. That is why he became sick. (他一直过着工作及读书两头兼顾的疲劳日子. 这就是为什么他积劳成疾的原因)

07. burn the midnight oil, to
定义: 赶夜车, 通宵达旦的工作或读书.
例句: We burned the midnight oil for three nights in a row in order to study for the exam. (为了准备考试, 我们连续三个晚上通宵达旦读书)

08. burn through, to
定义: 迅速用尽, 迅速烧光.
例句: They've burned through 2 million dollars already, and the renovations are far from complete. (他们已经用光了两百万元, 而这个翻修工作距离完成还早得很)

09. burn to a cinder, to
定义: 被火烧毁, 烧焦.
例句: The couple had left the microwave on with food inside and it had burned to a cinder, filling their flat with smoke. (这对夫妇把食物留在微波炉里让它开着, 它把食物烧焦, 把整个公寓弄得烟雾弥漫)

10. burn to a crisp, to
定义: 被火烧毁, 烧焦, 烤脆掉, 晒黑.
例句: I only played a little golf yesterday and my neck got burned to a crisp. (我昨天只玩了一下高尔夫球, 而我脖子却晒黑了)

11. burn to the ground, to
定义: 焚为平地.
例句: Sony's distribution center in Enfield, London, has burned to the ground in a looting and arson attack by British youths. (在一场英国青少年掠夺及纵火攻击下, 位于恩菲尔德, 伦敦的索尼供货中心焚为平地)

12. burn up, to
定义: 激得怒火冲天; 烧毁.
例句: Most asteroids burn up upon entering the Earth's atmosphere. (大多数的陨石在一进入地球大气层就烧毁)

13. burned alive, be
定义: 被活活烧死.
例句: Yesterday, more than two dozen of them were burned alive when an easily preventable fire broke out in the unsafe, multi-story sweatshop they were working in. (昨天, 一个可轻易避免的火灾突然发生在这个危险, 多层楼房的血汗工厂里, 二十多名正在工作的工人被活活烧死)

14. burned to death, be
定义: 被烧死.
例句: Police detained two people after an angry mob of fired workers burned to death a senior executive of a steel factory. (在一群愤怒的被解雇钢铁厂工人烧死一名资深主管之后, 警方已将两人拘留)

15. burned to the ground, be
定义: 付之一炬, 完全化为灰烬.
例句: A house exploded, quickly burned to the ground, and totaled three other buildings in the ensuing fire. (一栋房子爆炸, 迅速化为灰烬, 接踵而至的大火将其他三栋建筑物一并烧毁. 注:这里的totaled是个动词, 跟demolished同义, 在此我解释为: 烧毁)

16. burned up, be
定义: 气急败坏.
例句: My new assistant's mistakes are so maddening! I've never been so burned up in my life. (我的新助理所犯的错误让人疯狂! 我这辈子从来没这样气急败坏过)

17. burned/burnt out, be
定义: (机器)过度使用而停摆; (人)心力交瘁.
例句: I was completely burned out after working on a big project for three weeks straight. (经过连续三个星期努力做这个大​​项目之后, 我完全心力交瘁)

18. burn-in, the
定义: [电脑术语]新机测试, 在使用电脑之前做的一系列的测试.
例句: Burn-in applications can put the components in a given PC through rigorous torture tests to make sure they can handle the most pressing demands. (为了确定它们能够禁得起最急迫的需求, 新机测试应用软件可以使一部特定个人电脑的零件通过严格的折磨试验)

19. burning question, a
定义: 主要问题或急于想知道的问题.
例句: Brian has a burning question about high definition television that no one seems to answer. (布莱恩有一个急于想知道的有关于高清晰度电视问题, 但好像没人回答)

20. burning sensation, a
定义: 灼烫的感觉.
例句: Burning sensation with urination is most commonly due to bacterial infection of the urinary tract affecting the bladder. (排尿时的灼烫感觉最普遍是由于尿道的细菌感染而影响到膀胱之故)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 64 访客