royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 164

帖子 royl » 周六 8月 20, 2011 1:21 am

二十笔实用成语 164

01. busted, be
定义: 破产的, 用尽了财源, 疲惫不堪.
例句: My bills are all due and the baby needs shoes and I'm busted. (我的账单都到期了, 婴儿需要鞋子, 我身无分文)

02. buster
定义: [美国俚语](有些不礼貌称呼男子或男孩)小子, 你这家伙.
例句: Hey buster, where you off to? (嘿, 老小子, 你要去哪儿?)

03. busy as a beaver, be (as)
定义: 非常忙碌, 像水狸一样忙碌. (注: 请注意英语音上的押韵)
例句: When the teacher returned, the students were as busy as beavers. (等老师一回来, 这些学生马上忙碌起来)

04. busy as a bee, be (as)
定义: 非常忙碌,像蜜蜂一样忙碌. (注: 请注意英语音上的押韵)
例句: Maxine is always working, either at home or at the office. She's as busy as a bee. (美心一直都在工作, 不论是在家里或在办公室. 她非常忙碌)

05. busy oneself, to
定义: 让自己忙碌, 忙于做某事.
例句: The children busied themselves with puzzles all day. ​​(这些小朋友整天忙着玩拼图游戏)

06. busy work, a
定义: 让人忙碌但并不具有生产性的工作.
例句: It's a busy work assignment that succeeds in dividing us. (这是一个让人忙碌的工作, 它达到了隔离我们的目的)

07. busybody, a
定义: 爱管闲事或爱打听消息的人.
例句: I should have been successful beyond a doubt if some busybody hadn't sent that email to her husband. (如果不是那个多管闲事的人送那封电邮给她先生的话, 我肯定会成功的)

08. but an interesting read, nonetheless
定义: 虽然如此, 但还是一本有趣味的读物. (注: read在此为名词即为可阅读之物)
例句: It's a fun little book; not particularly informative, but an interesting read nonetheless. (这是一本有趣的小书; 并不怎么富有知识性, 但还是一本有趣味的读物)

09. but for ...
定义: 如果不是因为...
例句: We would have reached the summit but for the weather. (如果不是因为天气, 我们应该会到达山顶)

10. but good
定义: 彻底地; 强调地. (注: but是加强语气副词)
例句: John beat up Bill but good. (约翰好好地揍了比尔一顿)

11. but I know ...
定义: 我只知道...; 但是我知道...
例句: I like you, but I know you don't feel the same. (我喜欢你, 但我知道你不见得有同感)

12. but it doesn't matter
定义: 已经不重要, 无所谓了.
例句: I could go on and on but it doesn't matter anymore. I know I'm not alone, and I can take some comfort from that. (我可以不停地说下去但这已经不重要. 我知道我并不孤独, 对于这点我很欣慰)

13. But it turns out that ...
定义: 结果并不是...; 但结果是... (注: 意指结果不是所期望的结局)
例句: At the time, I assumed it was because she isn't a surgeon, but it turns out that she is: it's just that she didn't really feel up to the challenge presented. (当时, 我以为这是因为她不是一个外科医生, 但最后证明她是一个外科医生: 她只不过确实对所遇到的挑战感到无法胜任而已)

14. but it was to no avail
定义: 但是都没效.
例句: I tried to hush him as friendly as I could but it was to no avail, this friend of mine loves to talk about himself and can't shut up. (我尽量地很客气地要他安静下来但都没效, 我这个朋友特别喜欢谈论他自己, 没法闭上嘴)

15. but my intention was good
定义: 但是我原本是善意.
例句: I had numerous occasions where I had constructive arguments with various departments in the company but my intention was good. (我有无数次机会跟公司里各个部门展开有建设性的辩论, 但是我本意是善良的)

16. but on the other hand
定义: 但在另一方面上.
例句: On the one hand I'd like a job which pays more, but on the other hand I enjoy the work I'm doing at the moment. (一方面我希望找一份高薪工作, 但在另一方面上我喜欢我现有的工作)

17. But President had best pay heed.
[成语句型]但是总统最好注意(这件事). (注: pay heed即注意)

18. But that's about to change.
[成语句型]但是那情况将要改变. (注: be about to即为将要)

19. but that's not to say ...
定义: 但是这并不意味着...
例句: Alcohol is seen by many as a more socially acceptable drug, but that's not to say it's any less powerful than other drugs. (酒精被许多人视为社会上可以接受的药品, 但这并不意味着它对人体的影响力比其他药品还低)

20. but then
定义: 但另一方面来说, 然而; 其实; 但是. (注: but then可以用在三方面: 1-开启另一与前述不一样的陈述, 2-解释前述事情的原因, 3-虽然. ..但是句型)
例句: I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. (我可以告诉你机密, 但是你听了之后我必须杀了你. 注: 这是一句政府特勤人员常用的话, 意指我无论如何都不能告诉你机密)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 50 访客