royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 173

帖子 royl » 周三 8月 31, 2011 4:57 am

二十笔实用成语 173

01. by virtue of
定义: 凭借, 依靠.
例句: The police can arrest people by virtue of the authority they have been given. (凭借着他们被授予的权力, 警察可以逮捕人)

02. by way of
定义: 为了某个目的, 经由某路线.
例句: This vase is slightly discolored. By way of comparison, examine the vase on the left. (这个花瓶有点脱色. 为了做比较, 检查左边的花瓶)

03. by weight
定义: 以重量为标准或衡量.
例句: Frozen shucked oysters are sold by weight, packed according to buyer specifications. (依照客户规格包装, 冷冻去壳的牡蛎是以重量出售)

04. by word of mouth
定义: 口碑相传.
例句: News of his birth traveled by word of mouth. Soon everyone knew that Mary had a baby boy. (他出生的消息由口语相传不胫而走. 没多久大家都知道玛丽生了一个男婴)

05. by/from force of habit
定义: 由于习惯使然, 不经思考的自然行为. (注: 意指习惯成自然所做出的行为)
例句: After I retired, I kept getting up and getting dressed each morning by force of habit. (我退休之后, 由于习惯使然, 我依然每天早上起床和穿着衣服)

06. bye
定义: 再见.
例句: Bye, mom. I love you. (妈妈再见. 我爱你)

07. bye for now
定义: 再见, 待会儿见.
例句: Bye for now. See you tonight at choir practice. (待会儿见. 今晚演练合唱时再和你碰面)

08. BYOB
定义: [请客用语]请自备水酒; 自备购​​物袋. (注: BYOB为bring your own beer, booze, bottle, beverage, shopping bags之缩写)
例句: BYOB is a lame term used for "bring your own bottle", typically used when a party thrower doesn't have enough money to buy alcohol. (BYOB是使用于"自备水酒"的一个蹩脚用语, 通常是指开派对主人没足够钱买酒时所使用的)

09. byword, a
定义: 谚语; 箴言; 常用语辞; 代名词.
例句: Is America's "information war" becoming a byword for lying? (美国所称的"资讯战"是不是成了说谎的代名词?)

10. by-your-leave, a
定义: 请求许可的要求.
例句: She came in without so much as a by-your-leave and started telling us what to do. (她甚至连征询许可都省了, 不请自来地闯进来并对我们颐指气使)

11. byzantine
定义: 拜占庭式的, 诡计多端的, 复杂隐密的, 尔虞我诈的.
例句: He lost out in a byzantine power struggle and had to content himself with being a deputy minister. (他输掉了一场尔虞我诈的权力斗争, 只好退而求其次当个副部长)

12. c/o
定义: 转交信件给某人. (注: c/o是care of的缩写)
例句: I didn't know my friend's address so I sent a letter to him C/O another friend of mine. (我不知道我朋友的地址, 我只好寄一封信给另一个朋友再转交给他)

13. ca va sans dire
定义: [法语]不用说, 不言而喻, 理应如此.
例句: Ca va sans dire that you are to wear formal clothing to the company banquet. (你理应穿着正式服装出席公司的盛宴)

14. cabby/cabbie, a
定义: 计程车司机, 出租车司机.
例句: As a cabby, if we do not make tips, we are working for below minimum wage. (作为一个出租车司机, 如果我们拿不到小费的话, 我们的工资比最低工资还低)

15. cabin fever
定义: 冷天长期困在屋内所造成焦虑不安.
例句: After three weeks of cold weather we all had cabin fever. (困在屋内三个星期之后, 我们都变得焦虑不安)

16. cadre of, a
定义: 一群(干部或志同道合的人).
例句: They had been waiting for her to determine whether or not she would resign, most notably, a cadre of GOP politicos looking to move up the ladder. (他们在等待她决定是否要辞职, 最明显的是一群共和党干部正指望更上一层楼. 注: GOP即Grand Old Party是美国共和党的另一称呼)

17. Caesar salad, the
定义: 凯撒沙拉.
例句: Of all the dishes prepared tableside, Caesar salad is still the most popular. (在所有的桌旁现场准备的菜肴里, 凯撒沙拉仍然最受欢迎)

18. cagey, be
定义: 机警的, 谨慎小心的.
例句: Retailers are going to provide real value to entice cagey consumers. (零售业者将必须要拿出实实在在的价值才能吸引谨慎小心的消费者)

19. cake's not worth the candle, the
定义: 物非所值, 得不偿失, 不值得做的事.
例句: If I were you, I'd buy another car; trying to repair this clunker looks like a cake's not worth the candle to me. (如果我是你的话, 我会买另一部车; 想修好这辆老爷车似乎是个不值得做的事)

20. cakewalk, a
定义: 一面倒的比赛, 没预料到的容易工作.
例句: If he thought it was going to be a cakewalk, he wouldn't be talking like that, you know what I m​​ean? (如果他真认为这是一场一面倒的比赛, 他不会那样地讲话, 你懂得我的意思吗? 注: 意指他的讲话显露出不确定的口气)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 63 访客