royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 174

帖子 royl » 周四 9月 01, 2011 3:05 am

二十笔实用成语 174

01. calculated modesty
定义: 假谦虚, 故作谦虚.
例句: Late in life, he would offhandedly summarize his career, with charming if somewhat calculated modesty, as "nothing more than the American success story." (到了晚年, 他会, 带着魅力尽管有点故作谦虚, 轻松地总结他的生涯为"只不过是个美国式的成功故事"而已)

02. calculated risk, a
定义: 权衡利弊后的风险/冒险.
例句: They took a calculated risk when they opened the new store but it has been very successful. (当他们开了这家新店面时, 他们冒了一个权衡后的风险, 但这家店一直很成功)

03. calculatedly rude, be
定义: 故意地粗鲁的, 有意地粗鲁的.
例句: No one can be as calculatedly rude as the British, which amazes Americans, who do not understand studied insult and can only offer abuse as a substitute. (没人像英国人这样地故意粗鲁, 这让美国人惊奇但并不了解有意的羞辱, 他们也只能拿咒骂来取代)

04. calf lick/cowlick
定义: 一撮分岔开的头发, (额头上)发际一撮难梳理的头发.
例句: If you have a cowlick that sticks out in the back at the nape of your neck, keep it cut short in that area. (如果你颈后有一撮竖出的分岔开头发, 把那个部位毛发剪短就可)

图片
(额头上)发际一撮难梳理的头发

05. call a halt to ..., to
定义: 叫停, 下令停止某议程, 活动.
例句: Stick to your guns and call a halt to spending nonexistent dollars. (坚持你的意见, 停止花费不存在的钱)

06. call a spade a spade, to
定义: 实话实说, 直言不讳.
例句: He was calling a spade a spade when he began to criticize his employee for being lazy. (他直言不讳地批评他的雇主懒惰)

07. call at, to
定义: 停靠某港口, 拜访.
例句: That ship called at Amsterdam in M​​arch and created quite a stir in the cruise industry because of its many innovative features. (那艘船于三月停靠阿姆斯特丹港, 由于它许多创新的功能, 引起邮轮业界一阵轰动)

08. call attention to, to
定义: 唤起注意, 提醒, 指出.
例句: I would like to call attention to the student parking problem. (我要提醒大家对学生停车问题的注意)

09. call back, to
定义: 召回某人; 厂商召回有问题的货品; 回电话.
例句: He didn't answer my call and never called me back. (他不接我电话也不回我电话. 注: 这里的never不是"从来不"而是"没做某事")

根据韦氏字典
Never: used to say that you did not do something
例句: "You stole my CD." "Me? Never." ("你偷了我的光碟." "我? 没偷.")

10. call box, a
定义: 路边紧急电话盒用来报火警及汽车抛锚求援.
例句: In an emergency, press and release the red button to reach the police automatically. The call box automatically dials 911. (在紧急时刻, 按下再放开这个红色钮键可以自动联系警局. 这个紧急电话盒会自动拨打911)

11. call down, to
定义: 哀求; 训斥, 斥责.
例句: My boss called me down for frequent absence from work. (我老板训斥我经常不来工作)

12. call for an end to, to
定义: 要求结束某事, 要求停止.
例句: Representative Webster calls for an end to oil subsidie​​s and corporate welfare. (韦伯斯特众议员要求停止原油补贴及对大公司的福利. 注: 这里的corporate welfare并不是指公司内的福利而是指经由游说或收贿政府给予大公司直接或间接的补贴)

13. call for someone, to
定义: (去某处)接某人.
例句: I'll call for you at your house after dinner. (我吃完晚饭后会去你家接你)

14. call for, to
定义: (去某处)拿取, 接走; 要求, 需要.
例句: Bonsai is an art that calls for patience and perseverance. (盆栽是一门需要耐心及毅力的艺术)

15. call forth, to
定义: 引出, 唤起; 召唤某人到出来.
例句: These events call forth strong feelings. (这些事件引发出强烈的反应)

16. call girl, a
定义: (以电话约会的)应召女郎.
例句: In order to make ends meet, she is juggling two lives – a respected college lecturer by day and a $200-an-hour high class call girl by night. (为了维持家计, 她同时应付两种生活– 在白天是个受尊重的大学讲师, 在晚上是个两百元一小时的高级应召女郎)

17. call in one's chips, to
定义: 将自己人脉影响力或别人欠的人情债换成利益.
例句: She can call in her chips from large donor sources, and very possibly raise enough money to become the Democratic nominee. (她可以对她的大型捐款来源施加影响力, 然后非常可能募到足够的资金成为民主党的后选人)

18. call in sick, to
定义: 以电话请病假.
例句: Can a employer deducted from your salary if you called in sick? (你的雇主可不可以从你薪水里扣除你的病假?)

19. call in, to
定义: 召回, 唤回, 撤销, 召唤援助或救助, 以电话召唤, 知会或谈话, 拜访.
例句: Rescue workers have been called in to help search for survivors. (援救队员已经被召唤来协助搜索幸存者)

20. call into account, to
定义: 将...列入考虑.
例句: If you want to go to Ottawa on the first of July, you have to call holiday traffic into account. (如果你要在七月一日去渥太华的话, 你要把假日交通列入考虑)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 67 访客