royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 175

帖子 royl » 周四 9月 01, 2011 10:54 pm

二十笔实用成语 175

01. call into doubt, to
定义: 令人产生质疑, 怀疑, 异议.
例句: It is perfectly reasonable to call into doubt those things which are not "fact" as you put it, but mere speculation. (让人对那些事情产生质疑是非常合理的, 它们只不过是猜测, 并不是你所说的"事实")

02. call into question, to
定义: 令人产生质疑, 怀疑, 异议.
例句: His report calls into question the earlier reports we had. (他的报告让我们怀疑早先的报告是真实的. 注: 这句话你可以先写成: His report makes us feel not certain that the earlier reports were true; 再翻译会轻松些)

03. call it a day, to
定义: 今天到此收工. (注: 意指今天就做到这里, 明天再来)
例句: I'm tired. Let's call it a day. ​​(我累了. 今天就做到这里为止吧)

04. call it a night, to
定义: 今晚到此收工. (注: 意指今晚就做到这里, 明天再来)
例句: At midnight, I called it a night and went to bed. (到了午夜, 我收了工然后上床睡觉)

05. call it a quit, to
定义: 辞职, 结束关系, 到此收工, 扯平.
例句: She decided to call it a quit after many years in office. (从政许多年之后, 她决定结束她的政治生涯)

06. call it an early night, to
定义: 提前回家或就寝.
例句: I made sure to call it an early night because I wanted to be good and rested for the test next day. ​​(我确定要提前就寝因为我想要睡眠充足, 精神焕发地去考第二天的考试)

07. call it off, to
定义: 将此事取消; 要求停止.
例句: I called it off because I didn't think it was the right thing for me to do. (我取消了它因为我不认为我应该做这件事)

08. call it quits, to
定义: 辞职, 结束关系, 到此收工, 扯平.
例句: He called it quits and went home for the day. ​​(他收工然后回家了)

09. call it square, to
定义: 扯平, 谁也不欠谁.
例句: I bought the pizza; you bought the beer. Let's call it square. (我买了批萨饼; 你买了啤酒. 咱们扯平)

10. call it what you will, to
定义: 随便你称呼它什么都可以, 你爱叫它什么都没关系.
例句: Call it gut feelings, call it a set of hunches or call it what you will, but your intuition can be a powerful tool. (称它是直觉, 称它是预感或随便你称呼它什么都可以, 但是你的直觉可以成为一个强而有力的工具)

11. Call me when you arrive.
[成语句型]你到达时打电话给我.

12. call names, to
定义: 咒骂, 羞辱人.
例句: My husband likes to call me bad names and talk to me very disrespectfully, like he calls me the B word, among a number of things. (除了这些以外, 我先生还喜欢羞辱我, 对我讲话很不尊重,例如他叫我母狗. 注: 这里的"B word"是不方便重复某人的脏话字眼而使用的取代词)

编者按: 美国人常讲到的"F word"就是我们所谓的"国骂"或"骂娘". 这是因为我们不愿意重复别人的脏话而使用另一取代词来叙述某件事. 同理地, 骂人的脏话例如bitch, 我们也使用"B word"来取代.

13. call of duty, the
定义: 使命的​​召唤, 使命感, 责任感.
例句: It's the call of duty, a triumphant reminder that every one of us is here for a rea​​son. (这是使命的召唤, 一个欢欣鼓舞的提醒: 我们每个人来到这个人世间都有一个原因)

14. call of nature, the
定义: 生理需求, 急于上厕所.
例句: He is answering the call of nature and can't talk to you for a few minutes. (他正在上厕所, 几分钟之内没法跟你讲电话)

15. call of the wild, the
定义: 野性或大自然的呼唤, 离群到野外的渴望.
例句: I'm ready to answer the call of the wild. I'm planning to take off to the mountains in my 4x4s for a spot of communing with nature. (我准备呼应大自然的呼唤. 我计划要开着我的四轮驱动越野车爬山, 找一个地点来亲身经历和体会大自然)

16. call off the dogs, to
定义: 停止攻击, 批评, 骚扰别人.
例句: Okay, I'll pay what I owe you. But call off the dogs! (好了, 我会还你欠你的钱. 不过你要停止对我的攻击!)

17. call off, to
定义: 取消, 引开(注意力), 召回, 约束.
例句: The police have decided to call the investigation off. (警方已经决定取消调查)

18. call on someone, to
定义: 询问某人, 拜访某人, 当面批评某人.
例句: He's incredibly rude, but no one ever calls him on it. (他很不礼貌, 但没人告诉他应该停止粗鲁的态度)

19. call on to the carpet, to
定义: 将某人叫来训诫, 申斥.
例句: He was called on to the carpet by his boss for losing the major sale. (因为失去了这笔大生意, 他被他老板叫来申斥)

20. call on/upon, to
定义: 拜访(某人); 引出别人的反应; 请求, 要求或命令别人帮助或参与.
例句: I plan to call on my mother when I am on my holidays. (下次我休假时, 我计划要探望我母亲)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 71 访客