royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 194

帖子 royl » 周六 10月 01, 2011 2:56 pm

二十笔实用成语 194

01. catch one's eye, to
定义: 引人注意.
例句: Today, one of these articles caught my eye, so I h​​ad a look. It turned out to be an informative video about the history of spam. (今天, 有一篇文章引起我的注意, 因此我读了一读. 结果这是有关午餐肉历史的一部富有知识性的影片)

02. catch out, to
定义: 指出某人的错误或犯错.
例句: When I catch him out in a lie, he tries to make it seem like he had told me, and I just misheard him. (当我戳破他的谎言, 他却试图把它说成是他早就告诉过我这件事, 只是我听错了他的话)

03. catch sight of, to
定义: 瞥见.
例句: Anna caught a glimpse of the robber as he ran out of the bank. (当这个抢匪逃离银行的时候, 安娜瞥见他)

04. catch some rays, to
定义: 日光浴, 晒太阳, 晒黑.
例句: It sure is cold here in New York! I'd rather be in Florida, sitting on the sandy beach and catching some rays. (纽约这里真冷! 我宁愿人在佛罗里达, 坐在沙滩上晒太阳)

05. catch some sun, to
定义: 晒晒太阳.
例句: This summer, there are plenty of festivals and outdoor concerts where you can catch some sun while enjoying the music. (这个夏季有大量的表演和户外音乐会, 你可以一面享受音乐会一面晒晒太阳)

06. catch some z's, to
定义: 找机会睡觉, 休息.
例句: Do you mind if I catch some z's on your couch? I'm sleepy. (你介不介意我在你长沙发椅上睡觉? 我好困)

07. catch someone at a bad time, to
定义: 来的不是时候, 在不方便时间走访某人.
例句: You look very sad. Did I catch you at a bad time? (你看起来很悲伤. 我是不是来的不是时候?)

08. catch someone by surprise, to
定义: 趁某人不备, 冷不防地撞见某人, 令某人措手不及.
例句: The snowstorm in M​​ay caught us by surprise. We didn't expect it. (五月的这场暴风雪让我们措手不及. 我们没有料想到它会来)

09. catch someone doing that, to
定义: 逮个正着, 当场发现某人正在做某事.
例句: Finally I caught him, held him, and told him that if I ever caught him doing that again, I would fire him on the spot. (我终于逮他个正着, 我警告他如果我再发现他做那件事, 我会当场炒他鱿鱼)

10. catch someone in the act, to
定义: 逮个正着, 当场发现某人正在做某事; 当场抓奸.
例句: Of course, you might think you want to catch her in the act only to discover that the reality is much harder to deal with than you imagined. (当然, 你也许认为你想要当场抓奸却发现这个残酷现实比你原先想像的要更难应付)

11. catch someone napping/off balance/up short, to
定义: 吓某人一跳, 令某人措手不及, 趁虚而入或趁机占便宜.
例句: I didn't expect you so soon. You caught me off balance. (我没想到你这么快就来了. 你吓我一跳)

12. catch someone off guard, to
定义: 吓某人一跳, 令某人措手不及.
例句: She caught me off my guard, and my hesitation told her I was lying. (她让我措手不及, 我的迟疑让她看出我在说谎)

13. catch someone on the hip, to
定义: 抓住要害, 将某人置于劣势, 将某人控制住. (注: 出自于摔跤, 将某人头部扣住于臀部)
例句: I catch him on the hip now and I shall make him repent his incautious speeches. (现在我抓住他的要害, 我要他为他的下流话忏悔. 注: 这里的incautious speeches可以解释为rude speeches)

14. catch someone on the hop, to
定义: 趁某人不备抓住他; 令某人措手不.
例句: We'll catch him on the hop and lay onto him. Give it to him as hard as we can. (我们会趁他不备抓住他, 痛斥他. 好好地教训他一顿)

15. catch someone red-handed, to
定义: 逮个正着, 抓住正在做坏事的某人.
例句: He caught the boy red-handed when he was stealing the candy. (当这个男孩偷糖果的时候, 他被逮个正着)

16. catch someone unawares
定义: 趁某人不备, 冷不防地撞见某人, 令某人措手不及.
例句: The rainstorm caught us unawares. (这场暴风雨来得让我们措手不及)

17. catch someone with his pants down, to
定义: 出其不意发现某人处于窘态或正在做一个错误的行为.
例句: An undercover police caught the senator with his pants down. The district attorney is pressing charges and the senator has egg on is face. (一个暗中调查的警察出其不意地抓到这个参议员的不轨行为. 检察官正在起诉他, 这个参议员真是狼狈不堪)

18. catch someone with their fingers in the till, to
定义: 逮个正着, 抓到某人盗取公款或偷店里的钱.
例句: Tom was caught with his fingers in the till after management set up a covert surveillance system. (在管理部门架设了一套秘密监视系统之后, 汤姆在盗取公款的时候被逮个正着)

19. catch someone with their hand in the till, to
定义: 逮个正着, 抓到某人盗取公款或偷店里的钱.
例句: He was caught with his hand in the till and was fired immediately (他在偷店里钱的时候被当场逮个正着并立即被解雇)

20. catch someone's attention, to
定义: 吸引到某人的注意.
例句: A cry of pain caught her attention. It was from a man, his head wrapped in bandages turned brown by dried blood. (一个痛苦的叫声引起他的注意. 这是从一个头缠血迹泛黑绷带的男子所发出的)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 60 访客