royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 196

帖子 royl » 周一 10月 03, 2011 3:15 pm

二十笔实用成语 196

01. cat's lick, a
定义: 很快地, 囫囵地擦洗.
例句: I didn't want to disturb my wife, so I gave my face a cat's lick of a wash, put on my T-shirt, shorts and sandals and slipped out quietly. (我不想吵醒我太太, 因此我囫囵地洗个脸, 穿上短袖汗衫, 短裤和凉鞋, 悄悄地走出去)

02. cat's meow/pajamas/whiskers, the
定义: 令人激赏的人, 事或物.
例句: Charitable giving is the cat's meow, a highly admired thing to do. (慈善捐赠是个令人激赏的事, 一个高度令人敬佩的行为)

03. cat's out of the bag, the
定义: 秘密泄露, 露出马脚. (注: cat's在此就是cat is之意)
例句: We know about your affair with Brad. The cat's out of the bag. (我们知道你跟布莱德的恋情. 这个秘密已经被曝光)

04. cat's-eye, a
定义: 猫眼宝石.
例句: The largest cat's-eye known is one inch and a half in diameter, and formerly belonged to the king of Kandy. (最大的已知猫眼宝石是直径一点五英吋大, 它曾一度属于斯里兰卡康提国王)

05. cat's-paw, a
定义: 被人利用的工具, 傀儡或傻子; 微风.
例句: Using a cat's-paw theory, the Court found employers may be liable for discrimination when managers with improper motives influence the ultimate decisions. (依照利用傀儡的理论, 这个法庭发现雇主们也许要为歧视负责, 然而心怀不轨的经理们才是影响最终决策的祸首)

06. cattle call, a
定义: 大群人参加的试演/试唱的电影或电视的人才甄选.
例句: Actors were pounding the pavements day in and day out, went to cattle calls even when it appears they hadn'ta hope of getting the part. (演员们每天辛勤地在路上奔走寻找工作, 大群人参加电影或电视试演即使看不出他们有任何希望取得这个角色)

07. caught by surprise, be
定义: 出乎意料, 措手不及, 大吃一惊.
例句: I was caught by surprise at the twist ending, but that was because I didn't think any movie would be dumb enough to go there. (我被这个意想不到的结局弄得大吃一惊, 但这是因为我不认为任何电影会蠢到采取这样的情节)

08. caught by the short and curlies, to get
定义: 被人抓到把柄, 被人抓住小辫子, 被人控制.
例句: When Tom was caught by the short and curlies 10 years ago and fessed up to election fixing, there was genuine horror and disillusionment. (当汤姆在十年前被人抓到把柄, 他也坦承他的选举造假操纵, 当时的气氛变为十足惊恐和失望)

09. caught flat-footed, to get
定义: 措手不及, 没准备好被发现或遇上.
例句: The surprise announcement of his candidacy caught his opponents flat-footed. (他出奇不意的参选宣告让他的对手措手不及)

10. caught in the act, to get
定义: 当场被发现, 被逮个正着.
例句: Two of the boys were caught in the act of vandalism. They were breaking car windows. (正在他们打破车窗的时候, 这两个男孩的破坏他人财物行为被逮个正着)

11. caught in the cross fire, to get
定义: 夹在两方恶斗中间.
例句: A young, simple girl is caught in the cross-fire of a deep-rooted sibling rivalry between her upright husband and her scheming brother-in-law. (一个年轻单纯女孩夹在她正直丈夫和诡计多端小叔之间的长期同胞手足的争斗中)

12. caught in the middle, to get
定义: 夹在两方恶斗中间.
例句: My wife is caught in the middle of her boss's marital dispute. (我妻子夹在她老板的婚姻纠纷的恶斗中)

13. caught me looking at someone, to get
定义: 某人突然意识到我在看他/她.
例句: I noticed this very beautiful girl a few rows down, and I was staring at her, and then she looked up and caught me looking at her. (我注意到在几排桌子之外的这个非常美丽女郎, 我盯着她看, 那时候她突然抬头看, 意识到我正在看她)

14. caught off balance, be
定义: 一时失去平衡, 一时无法回应, 一时没站稳. (注: 意指突然受到震撼, 一时失去正常的反应)
例句: John was caught off balance, twisted his ankle and that's how the injury happened. (约翰一时失去平衡, 扭伤了他的脚踝, 这就是他脚伤如何发生的情况)

15. caught off guard, to get
定义: 措手不及, 被吓一跳.
例句: Looks like the government was caught off guard, and it is trying to sort things out. (看样子这个政府被弄得措手不及, 它现在正尽力寻找出事的原因)

16. caught on tapes/video, to get
定义: 被人拍摄下来.
例句: The Metro bus driver was in hot water after he was caught on video forcibly removing a passenger from his bus over the weekend. (上周末, 他强行赶一个乘客下车的粗暴行为被人拍摄下来之后, 这个公车司机遭到了麻烦)

17. caught red-handed, to get
定义: 被当场抓住或逮个正着.
例句: The smuggler was caught red-handed with a kilo of cocaine. (这个带着一公斤古柯碱的走私犯被逮个正着)

18. caught short, be
定义: 手头正缺钱.
例句: I was caught short last week and couldn't pay the weekly food bill. (我上星期手头正缺钱, 我没法付每星期的食物帐单)

19. caught unprepared, be
定义: 措手不及, 毫无准备地碰到.
例句: One thing is that people hate you because they do not have the same guts as you have and the second is being caught unprepared. (人们恨你的一件事是因为他们没有像你一样的胆识, 第二件事是他们被弄得措手不及)

20. caught up in, be
定义: 身陷, 涉嫌, 涉入; 迷恋于, 沉迷于.
例句: Wallace is caught up in his work and has little time for his son. (华莱士沉迷在他的工作里, 根本没时间陪他儿子)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 58 访客