royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 199

帖子 royl » 周四 10月 06, 2011 8:49 pm

二十笔实用成语 199

01. chain of events, the
定义: 一连串相关事件.
例句: While there was a chain of events that directly led to the war, the actual root causes are much deeper and part of continued debate. (尽管一连串事件直接导致这场战争, 但真正的根本原因乃是更深层的,而且继续被人所争议)

02. chain reaction, a
定义: 连锁反应.
例句: Jackson's death triggered a chain reaction of 12 fans to commit suicide. (杰克逊的死亡引起了十二个歌迷自杀的连锁反应)

03. chain smoker, a
定义: 老烟枪. (注: 香烟一支接一支的抽的人)
例句: "Do all chain smokers die of emphysema?" "No, but most of them do." ("是不是所有的老烟枪都死于肺气肿?" "不完全是, 不过他们大部份是的.")

04. chained to the computer, be
定义: 不停在电脑上工作, 离不开电脑. (注: 意指比喻语, 整天被电脑所捆绑)
例句: I spend entire days chained to my computer, checking job listings, churning out cover letters and resumes, and e-mailing them into the void. (我整天都黏在电脑前, 查看工作机会列表, 迅速写出履历表和附函, 再以电子邮件把它们寄入虚无飘渺的空间里)

05. chained to the desk, be
定义: 不停工作, 离不开办工桌. (注: 意指比喻语, 整天被工作捆绑)
例句: It isn't the piles of paperwork that make you chained to the desk, it's you yourself. (不是成堆的要处理文件迫使你离不开办工桌, 其实是你自己不想离开工作)

06. chain-link fence, a
定义: 铁丝网栅栏或篱笆.
例句: The popularity of chain-link fence is due to its relatively low cost and ease of installation. (铁丝网篱笆之所以受欢迎是因为它的低价和方便的安装)

07. chair a meeting, to
定义: 主持会议.
例句: It is not unusual for an independent person to be asked to chair a meeting in circumstances such as you describe. (在你所讲述的情况下, 要求独立人士主持会议并非不寻常)

08. chairman of the board, the
定义: 董事长. (注: 一个公司最高首长但并不一定有行政实权)
例句: Michael Dell is the chairman of the board of directors and chief executive officer of Dell, the company he founded with $1000 in 1984 at the age of 19. (麦克•德尔是德尔电脑公司的董事长兼总经理, 他于一九八四年, 十九岁时, 以一千美元创办这家公司)

09. chalk it up to, to
定义: 归因于, 归功或归咎于.
例句: She doesn't even bother to say thank you, but I just chalk it up to bad manners and try not to let it bother me. (她连一句谢谢都不说, 不过我归咎于她的没礼貌, 尽量不让这事让我不痛快)

10. Chalk one up for you.
[成语句型]你表现不错, 获得进展, 有得分.

11. chalk up, to
定义: 归因于, 取得, 累积, 记帐, 赊帐.
例句: The stock prices of the company chalked up a big gain last week. (上星期, 这家公司的股价取得大涨)

12. champ at the bit, to
定义: 迫不及待.
例句: By the time he arrived to pick us up we were champing at the bit with impatience. (等到他来接我们的时候, 我们已经不耐烦地迫不及待)

13. champ/champion, a
定义: 冠军, 昵称朋友或自己的小孩如Hey, champ! (注: champ是champion的缩头)
例句: Hey, champ, you were fantastic at the school band performance. (嘿, 我的小英雄, 你在学校乐队的表现很棒)

14. champagne taste and a beer budget, to have
定义: 喜欢高档嗜好但是财力有限; 高档却便宜.
例句: As one with champagne taste and a beer budget I couldn't be happier with the purchase. (作为一个喜欢高档嗜好但是财力有限的人, 对这个购买我很满意)

15. champion a cause, to
定义: 推动, 支持, 鼓吹一个志业, 善举, 或义举.
例句: It's the visionary that can champion a cause, align the team with what needs to get done and rally the masses around one unifying vision. (只有有远见的人才会推动一个志业, 设定团队的工作目标, 唤起大众团结在同一个愿景之下)

16. champion for, to
定义: 拥护, 支持.
例句: To those that are championing for a flat tax rate, which rate would it be? (对那些拥护单一所得税率的人, 这个税率该是什么呢?)

17. championed by ..., be
定义: 由...支持, 拥护.
例句: This is another HUD disaster championed by none other than Ba​​rney Frank. (这是由巴尼•富兰克议员所支持的住房和城市发展部的另一个灾难)

18. chance in a million, a
定义: 微小机会.
例句: It is a chance in a million that we'd find a meteorite. (我们找到殒石的机会微乎其微)

19. chance it, to
定义: 冒险看看, 碰碰运气. (注: 意指对自己有相当信心并非孤注一掷虽然仍有可能失败)
例句: We decided to chance it and it was the best decision we made. (我们当时决定碰碰运气, 这可是我们做的最好的决定)

20. chance of a lifetime, a
定义: 千载难逢的机会.
例句: It was a chance of a lifetime and something she was not going to walk away from. (这是千载难逢的机会, 她绝对不会放弃它)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 53 访客