royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 217

帖子 royl » 周四 10月 27, 2011 12:29 am

二十笔实用成语 217

01. cliché, a
定义: 陈腔滥调; 老话题; 陈腐的想法; 一再老话重提; 陈腐无趣之人.
例句: I hate to become a cliché, but I love my boyfriend so much and I don't know if I'm overreacting to his many female friends always being around. (我实在不愿作一个老话重提之人,但我太爱我的男友; 我不知道我是不是对于一直环绕他身边的许多女性友人反应过度)

02. click in, to
定义: 明白了, 了解到.
例句: It didn't click in that he was hurt until I saw the blood on his shirt. (我当时并不知道他受了伤, 直到我看到他衬衫上的血才明白过来)

03. click on all cylinders, to
定义: 运转良好, 表现良好, 思路畅通.
例句: It's amazing the Tigers are in first place, given that the team hasn't once clicked on all cylinders this year. (考虑到该队今年没有一次表现良好, 老虎队排名第一令人惊讶)

04. click on, to
定义: (以滑鼠)点击或选择.
例句: I knew you could click on the icon to make a menu appear, but I did not know double-clicking on that icon would close the window. (我知道你可以点击这个图标可以使一个选单出现, 但我并不知道点击两次这个图标可以关闭这个视窗)

05. click one's heels together, to
定义: (立正时)磕脚根.
例句: He seemed jovial, almost jaunty, as he clicked his heels together and bowed with a flourish. (当他磕脚根和潇洒地一鞠躬的时候, 他看起来兴高采烈, 几乎志得意满的样子)

06. click, to
定义: [俚语]取得成功; 突然了解/明白; 互相配合良好.
例句: Tom isn't really good at math, but he said that today's lesson clicked. (汤姆的数学并不是很好, 但他说今天的课突然让他听明白了)

07. click-and-mortar business, a
定义: 同时提供网路市场以及传统市场售货或服务的公司.
例句: If you are a click-and-mortar retailer, you must collect sales taxes that are applicable to the state your store is located. (如果你是个同时提供网路以及传统市场的零售商, 你必须收取你商店位于所在州的适当营业税)

08. cliff dweller, a
定义: 住在大城市高楼公寓的居民.
例句: In 2010, some online only businesses grew at a staggering 30%, while some click-and-mortar businesses grew at a paltry 3%. (2010年, 有些只经营网路生意的企业取得惊人的百分之三十成长, 而同时期的一些同时提供网路以及传统市场销售的企业只取得微小的百分之三成长)

09. cliff-hanger, a
定义: 扣人心弦的戏剧或电影; 不到最后难分胜负的竞赛.
例句: The election was a rea​​l cliff-hanger. No one knew who was going to win until the very end. (这场选举是个难分胜负的竞赛. 不到最后一刻没有人知道谁会赢得胜利)

10. climb aboard the water wagon, to
定义: 拒绝饮酒, 戒酒.
例句: If ever you've considered climbing aboard the water wagon, next couple of weeks may be the grandest opportunity you'll ever have. (如果你曾经想到要戒酒, 未来两个星期将是你这辈子最佳的时机)

11. climb down, to
定义: 爬下来; 承认错误; 退让, 让步; 退下.
例句: His statement is seen as an attempt to climb down from the strong denial he made yesterday. ​​(他的声明被别人认为是他昨天所做出强烈否认的一个让步尝试. 注: 意指他对他昨天所做出强烈否认开始口软或不再坚持)

12. climb into bed with someone, to
定义: 参与, 涉入, 共谋, 与某人紧密交往.
例句: Now the tree huggers are ready to climb into bed with big oil companies in a desperate attempt to ward off the inevitable. (好了, 这些环保份子正准备与大型石油公司紧密交往, 为了阻止不可避免的命运铤而走险.注: 这里的tree huggers, 拥抱树的人, 是对所谓的环保人士的轻蔑称呼)

编者注: 不是所有环保运动者都是真心想要保护环境. 许多所谓的环保人士是大财团所豢养的打手, 想要使用二氧化碳排放的议题来讹诈制造工业, 发电工业以及汽车使用者, 来征收所谓的排碳税(carbon tax). 所谓的全球暖化是不是由二氧化碳排放所造成的主要原因还根本没有取得定论.

13. climb into, to
定义: 钻进, 穿上(衣服).
例句: Pennsylvania police said they arrested a man who allegedly broke into a stranger's home and climbed into bed with him. (宾州警方说, 他们逮捕一名男子据称闯入一个陌生人家里并钻进他的床里跟他共眠)

14. climb on the bandwagon, to
定义: 赶时髦, 趋炎附势, 西瓜靠大边, 参与一个流行(社会或政治)趋势.
例句: Louisiana politicians are climbing on the bandwagon and asking for $250 billion to rebuild in Louisiana and the vast majority of it is pure, ludicrous pork. (路易斯安那政客也来赶时髦, 要求两千五千亿拨款来重建路州, 这绝大多数经费纯粹是荒谬的分赃式地方建设经费)

15. climb on, to
定义: 爬上.
例句: He climbed onto the truck bed, sat with his back against the cab facing the rear of the truck, and proposed to ride there on the return trip to Austin. (他爬上卡车的载货舱地板上, 背靠着驾驶室面向卡车后方坐下来, 并提议要往奥斯汀的回程路上搭个便车)

图片
由卡车尾部向前看, 没有遮盖的后半部是载货舱空间, 前半部是驾驶室. 你可以看到驾驶室后面设有的滑动窗, 在暖天可以打开通风.

16. climb out of, to
定义: 爬/钻出, 脱下(衣服).
例句: He climbed out of the wreckage and examined himself carefully for injuries. (他从残骸中爬出来, 仔细地检查自己身上看看有没有受伤)

17. climb the corporate ladder, to
定义: 追求在公司的升迁.
例句: You have to work very hard if you want to climb the corporate ladder. (如果你想要追求在公司的升迁的话, 你必须要努力工作)

18. climb the greasy pole, to
定义: [英国与澳洲]力争上游, 努力升官晋级, 试图爬升公司阶梯.
例句: As women climb the greasy pole of success and to compete more fairly with men while there is still a thick glass ceiling into senior management. (尽管那里仍有一层厚重的对女性升迁的无形障碍, 女性还是力争上游追求成功,跟男人公平地竞争)

19. climb the walls, to
定义: 非常紧张, 焦虑或慌张; 被逼得抓狂, 被逼疯.
例句: On the first day of school, the teacher was climbing the walls. (在开学的第一天, 这位老师被逼得抓狂)

20. clincher, a
定义: 决定性的事件或言行. (注: 意指因为一个事件或行为才造成你做出某个决定或结论)
例句: "So it turns out there were no Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq?" "Yeah! Here's the clincher: the President is just a dumbass that lied!" ("所以伊拉克结果根本就没有大规模摧毁性武器嘛? " "是啊! 就是这个结论: 这个总统只是个说谎的蠢驴!")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 129 访客