royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 219

帖子 royl » 周五 10月 28, 2011 12:18 pm

二十笔实用成语 219

01. close enough, be
定义: 相当接近的(但并非完全准确).
例句: While the story may be fictional it's close enough to reality to create a believable sequence of events that hits close to home. (尽管这个故事也许是杜撰的, 它跟现实相当接近, 足以创作出一连串可信的事件让人感同身受)

02. close in, to
定义: 逼近(准备攻击).
例句: Soon the fire got more intense, it had almost engulfed the whole room and the fire was closing in on me and I went hysterical. (没多久火势变得更强烈, 它几乎吞没整个房间, 火势正逐步逼近我,我突然开始惊慌发狂)

03. close off, to
定义: 关闭/封锁某处, 不准许进出.
例句: The city workers closed off the road and remained at the scene overnight until construction crews arrived. (这批市政府工人关闭了这条道路, 继续整夜地停留在现场直到建筑工人来到为止)

04. close on, to
定义: 正式地在法律上完成一笔重要交易.
例句: We were supposed to close on our house on May 31st but the bank that is selling it is not ready yet. (我们本应该在五月三十一日完成我们房屋交易, 但这家卖屋的银行还没准备好)

05. close one, a
定义: 有惊无险, 九死一生, 幸免于难的经验/状况/事件.
例句: Wow! That was a close one! Can you imagine what might have happened if he had driven a little bit slower? (哇! 好险呀! 你能想像如果你开得慢一点会变成什么样情况吗?)

06. close one's doors, to
定义: (生意)关门, 休业; 拒绝别人进入; 拒绝商谈; 排除.
例句: But he quickly adds that he won't close his doors on anything that would allow him to reach his goals. (但他迅速地接着说, 他决不会拒绝任何能够让他实现目标的建议/协助. 注: 这里的allow与make it possible同义)

07. close one's eyes to, to
定义: 装着没看见, 视若无睹.
例句: It's impossible to close my eyes to the suffering and injustice in our world—to switch off the news, and to ignore reports of grief, war and trauma. (我没办法装着没看见在我们世界上发生的痛苦和不公不义的现象—不看新闻, 不理会悲伤, 战争和创伤的报导)

08. close out, to
定义: 将一批货品低价卖出; 公司或商店结束; 关闭银行帐户.
例句: We're closing out our entire stock of children's clothing. Come and pick up some bargains! (我们正在廉价抛售全部童装存货. 快来捡一些便宜货!)

09. close ranks, to
定义: 共肩作战; 共襄盛举.
例句: They decided to close ranks and stop arguing among themselves. (他们决定共襄盛举并停止内部互相的争吵)

10. close second, a
定义: 紧跟第一名的第二名, 微小差距的第二名.
例句: Paul, a libertarian with a devoted following, finished a close second, followed by former Minnesota Governor, who had counted on the event to get traction. (保罗, 一位拥有一群死忠支持者的不干涉主义者, 最终得到微小差距的第二名, 随后的是希望借这个选举取得支持的前明州州长)

11. close shave, a
定义: 有惊无险, 九死一生, 幸免于难的经验/状况/事件.
例句: The old man described his fight with the bear as a close shave. (这个老人讲述他跟一头熊的九死一生战斗的经验)

12. close someone out, to
定义: 排斥在外, 阻止某人加入; 进入或被接受.
例句: My family gave up on me wholly and closed me out of their lives. (我家庭完全放弃了我, 把我排斥在他们的生活圈子之外)

13. close something out, to
定义: 将一些货品低价卖出; 公司或商店结束; 关闭银行帐户.
例句: Jenny withdrew all her money and closed her account out. (珍妮提出她所有的存款, 关闭她的银行帐户)

14. close the books, to
定义: 停止交易; 结帐; 结束.
例句: It's time to close the books on this sorry chapter of scientific fraud and send this crook home to Tennessee to luxuriate in his carbon-guzzling palace! (该是结束这个可悲的科学造假时代的时候, 把这个骗子赶回到他的田纳西老家, 让他尽情享受他的暴饮暴食二氧化碳的皇宫吧!)

编者注: 这句话是指拿二氧化碳来讹诈二氧化碳排放税的骗徒, 美国前副总统, 艾尔•戈尔.

15. close the door on, to
定义: 停止或拒绝考虑, 协商或行动; 拒人于外; 排除.
例句: I'm trying to decide what to do next, and I'm not going to close the door on any option. (我正想办法决定下一步要怎么做, 我决不会排除任何选项)

16. close the gap, to
定义: 缩减(两者之间)差距或差异.
例句: Asian economies are closing the gap on the West in terms of their IT competitiveness. (从资讯工业竞争力方面来说, 亚洲经济体正在缩减与西方之间的差距)

17. close thing, a
定义: 势均力敌比赛; 险胜; 侥幸脱险.
例句: I managed to pass my driving test first time, but it was a close thing. (我第一次就能够通过路试, 不过这是个侥幸的成功)

18. close ties with ..., to have
定义: 与...关系密切.
例句: He and his wife, Ann, both retired, stay active with various activities while maintaining close ties with their three children. (他跟他妻子, 安, 都已退休, 在保持跟他们三个儿女密切关系的同时仍然积极参与各种活动)

19. close to
定义: 几乎, 接近; [英国]在不远之处.
例句: Don't get close to me. I have a bad cold. (别接近我. 我得了重感冒. 注: 请注意, 感染了感冒, to have a cold, 不可以使用进行式, having a cold,来表达)

20. close to home
定义: 接近切身关系地, 让人感同身受; 说到痛处地; 接近事实, 中肯.
例句: What I said about her work habits must have hit close to home as she seemed to become very quiet suddenly. (由于她突然变得非常安静, 不怎么说话, 我所说到有关她的工作习惯肯定触及到她的痛处)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 44 访客