royl
帖子: 1767
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 225

帖子 royl » 周五 11月 04, 2011 2:29 pm

二十笔实用成语 225

01. collapse under one's weight, to
定义: 被自己所造成的问题/重量拖垮.
例句: The Roman Empire collapsed under its own weight. It got so huge and so expensive to administer, that it finally could not function anymore. (罗马帝国被自己所造成的问题拖垮. 它的版图太大而且又耗费大量财力管理, 终于让它无法经营下去)

02. collat​​eral damage, the
定义: 附带伤亡. (注: 军事行动时无法避免对平民造成的伤亡)
例句: Afghan citizens pay lethal price for a new policy on air strikes. Reducing collat​​eral damage is seen as a secondary consideration by the coalition forces. (阿富汗平民为了新的空中打击政策付出致命的代价. 对联军部队来说减少平民附带伤亡并不是个主要考量)

03. collect dust, to
定义: 积灰尘. (注: 意指东西很久没有用在积灰尘)
例句: "Where's the silver tray?" "O​​n the shelf, collecting dust." ("银托盘放在哪儿?" "在架子上, 积灰尘.")

04. collect information, to
定义: 搜集资料.
例句: Once you have decided on your topic, you have to collect information. This information will let you refine your thoughts. (一旦你决定好你的主题, 你就必须搜集资料. 这些资料会使你的想法更加完善)

05. collect one's thoughts, to
定义: 冷静及清楚地思考, 组织好自己的想法.
例句: She was glad when the kids left so she could collect her thoughts. (她很高兴小朋友离开了, 如此她可以冷静地思考)

06. collect oneself, to
定义: 冷静下来, 平心静气, 镇静下来.
例句: As the realization sank in, she was quite shaken up. Moments later, she tried to collect herself to understand what had happened. (当她明白知道到事情发生的时候, 她相当地震惊. 片刻之后, 她试图冷静下来对发生的事进行了解)

07. collect phone call, a
定义: 由对方付费的电话.
例句: Tom made a collect phone call to tell the good news. He gave his name as "Tom hadababyitsaboy." The person who answered refused the call. (汤姆打了一通由对方付费的电话告知这个好消息. 他给电话接线员他的名字是"汤姆•生了一个男婴." 接电话的人拒绝接受这个付费电话)

08. collect signatures, to
定义: (论及请愿书)征集签名.
例句: Proponents for the water rate increases referendum will be collecting signatures at most HEB markets and door to door this week. (支持水费增加公投的人这个星期将会在大部分的HEB超市以及挨家挨户地征集签名)

09. collect someone from the airport/train station, to
定义: 到机场/火车站接某人. (注: collect在这里不是收集而是接人, pick up someone)
例句: I need to collect my wife from the Airport at 10 pm and then we're heading down to Geelong and along the Great Ocean Road the following day. ​​(我必须在晚上十点钟到机场接我太太然后在次日去季隆市和沿着大洋路兜风)

10. collect stamps, to
定义: 集邮, 收藏邮票.
例句: In the past, collectors had only one way to collect stamps: they collected envelopes, packages and postage material and cut out the stamps. (在过去, 收藏家只有一个办法来集邮: 他们收集​​信封, 包装箱盒以及邮包再把邮票切割下来)

11. collect the rent, to
定义: 收房租.
例句: You need to strike the proper balance in raising and collecting the rent and providing your tenants with a clean and safe environment to live in. (你需要在上涨房租, 收房租以及提供你房客一个干净和安全的环境来居住这三者之间取得平衡)

12. collect up, to
定义: [英国]收拾东西.
例句: Collect up your old toys, books and sports gear, or create your own crafts and sell them from your own stall at the flea market. (收拾你的旧玩具, 书本和运动器材, 或制作你自己的工艺品然后到跳蚤市场在你自己的摊位卖出它们)

图片
芬兰赫尔辛基的跳蚤市场

13. collective wisdom, the
定义: 集体的智慧.
例句: Feng Shui is imbued with the collective wisdom of ancient Chinese people in arranging houses for the living and cemeteries for the dead. (风水是个深受古代中国人集体智慧影响的一门堪舆学问用来安排阳宅和阴宅的布局)

图片
风水师所用的罗盘

14. collector's item/piece, a
定义: 可收藏的珍品, 收藏家也想要的物品.
例句: This collector's item is signed by the artist himself; numbered and comes with an authentication certificate. (这件可收藏的珍品是由艺术家亲自签名; 它也被编号以及附上认证证书)

15. college set, a
定义: 大学生群.
例句: I have a feeling that despite the dangers associated with this drug it still is going to catch on with the college set big time. (我估计即使这个药品让人想到它所带来的危险, 它仍旧会在大学生群里大为盛行)

16. Colombian necktie, a
定义: 哥伦比亚领带. (注: 一种残酷杀人手法, 将受害着喉管割断并将舌头从断处拔出来)
例句: Medellin, Colombia is the home of the infamous Pablo Escobar and his Cartel de Medellin—the town in which the Colombian Necktie was born. (麦地因, 哥伦比亚是恶名昭彰的帕勃娄•艾斯可巴和他的麦地因贩毒集团的老家—哥伦比亚领带酷杀手法诞生的城市)

17. color a lie, to
定义: 美化一个谎言.
例句: John always tells you what it is and as it is without mincing words or coloring a lie to make it attractive. (约翰永远会直言不讳或不美化谎言地告诉你实际的情形与现况, 他不会给你制造一个假象)

18. color in, to
定义: 填色, 添色.
例句: Feel free to print out as many coloring pages as you like for your children to color in their leisure time. (别拘束, 你想要多少张就印多少张著色图片给你的小孩在他们闲暇时候填色)

图片
着色图片

19. color me cynical, to
定义: 说我是愤世嫉俗也没关系.
例句: Color me cynical, but for a long time, I believed that all the political blather about green jobs meant only one thing: they were fake. (说我是愤世嫉俗也没关系, 不过长久以来, 我相信所有的有关绿色工作机会的政治蠢话只意味一件事: 它们全是假的)

20. color up, to
定义: 着色; 脸红, 面红耳赤. (注: 可能因为害羞也可能因为愤怒而脸红)
例句: I must have sounded irritated because she colored up and flashed back angrily, "I don't have to justify my actions to you. My life is my business." (我的话一定是太刺耳因为她气得面红耳赤并愤怒地反击说, "我不须要跟你证明我的行动是合理的. 我的人生你管不着.")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 103 访客