royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 239

帖子 royl » 周日 11月 20, 2011 2:28 pm

二十笔实用成语 239

01. commit/perpetrate a crime, to
定义: 犯下某罪.
例句: For a solicitation to commit a crime for which the penalty is life imprisonment, the actor is guilty of a Class F felony. (对于教唆犯罪的刑罚是终身监禁, 被教唆犯罪者的刑罚是F级重罪)

02. commitment ends at ..., the
定义: 承诺终止于...
例句: Our delivery commitment ends at the front door of building. It is the responsibility of the recipient to arrange to have it moved inside. (我们运交货品的承诺终止于建筑物的前门. 将​​货物移进建筑物里面的安排是收货者的责任)

03. common as dirt, be (as)
定义: 极其普通; 低贱; 粗俗不堪.
例句: Now there's evidence a cure for cancer may be all around us and is as common as dirt. In fact, it's something in dirt. (现今治愈癌症的药物可能就在我们的周遭而且极其普通. 事实上, 它就是存在土壤中的某物质)

04. common as muck, be (as)
定义: 极其普通; 低贱; 粗俗不堪.
例句: You can tell from the way she talks she's as common as muck. (你可以从她说话的样子看出她的粗俗不堪)

05. common cold, the
定义: 普通感冒.
例句: The common cold generally involves a runny nose, nasal congestion, and sneezing. You may also have a sore throat, cough, headache, or other symptoms. (普通感冒一般包括流鼻水, 鼻塞, 以及打喷嚏. 你也可能会有喉咙痛, 咳嗽, 头痛, 或其他症状)

06. common good, the
定义: 全体利益, 全体福祉.
例句: Government has the moral responsibility to use public money for the common good. Responsible spending means deciding when the trade-off is justified. (政府负有道德责任应用公款于全体福祉上. 负责任的花费就是权衡这个折衷方案是否具有正当性)

编者注: trade-off在这里详细的意义是指权衡得失的"失"的部分. 也就是说一个折衷方案肯定是有得有失的, 而上述的话是针对"失"的部分是否具有正当性. 换句话说, 一个"取了芝麻, 失了西瓜"的折衷方案肯定是不具有正当性, 当然也是不明智的.

07. common ground, a
定义: 大家都能接受的, 共同利益的基础或折衷共识.
例句: What I would like to do is for all of us to find a common ground with each other. I' m sure there are basic morals or values​​ that we all have. (我所想要做的是让我们互相找出一个大家都能接受的基础. 我肯定我们都共同拥有一些基本的道德或价值)

08. common knowledge
定义: 众所周知的事情, 基本常识.
例句: It has become common knowledge in the medical world that Epidural Injection has a strong remedial effect on pain caused by disc herniation. (硬膜外注射对椎间盘突出所造成的疼痛具有强力的治疗效果已经成为医学界的基本常识)

09. common sense gets shoved aside, the
定义: 基本常识/常​​理被弃置一旁.
例句: It speaks volumes about some parts of our culture and its priorities where profit and loss usurp right and wrong; even common sense gets shoved aside. (它明确地指出我们部分文化和其优先顺序的大是大非原则已经被盈利的追求所霸占; 甚至于连常理也被弃置一旁)

10. common sense, a
定义: 常识, 理智, 常理推断.
例句: Even my fourteen-year old daughter has the common sense that is so obviously missing in Washington. (连我十四岁女儿都还有常理推断能力但它显然不存在华盛顿)

11. common stock
定义: [股市术语]普通股票.
例句: In the event of bankruptcy, common stock investors receive their funds after preferred stock holders, bondholders, creditors, etc. (倘若发生了破产事件, 普通股票投资人必须排在优先股持有人, 债券持有人, 债权人,等人之后才得取得补偿金)

12. common thread, a
定义: 共识或共同主题.
例句: When I take a look at my life over the past thirty years, there's a common thread: a belief that we can reprogram ourselves to be faster, better and stronger. (在我检视我过去三十年生命之后, 我找到一个共识: 一个我们能改变我们自己成为更快, 更好, 和更坚强的信念)

13. common touch, a
定义: 引起一般民众共鸣的说服力和亲和力.
例句: His bearing is not exactly cold—he has a nice common touch, and he can be passionate at times—but rather is carefully dignified. (他的态度并不完全冷漠—他拥有吸引一般民众的亲和力, 他有时候会变为热情激昂—却谨慎地不失他的尊严)

14. commonly-held values
定义: 社会大众所共持的价值.
例句: If a person conducts himself in a way that goes against commonly held values​​, there is a cost. (如果一个人言行举止违反了社会大众所共持的价值, 他肯定会付出代价的)

15. common-or-garden, be
定义: [形容词]普通的, 一般的, 平常的.
例句: They're not just your common-or-garden douche bags; some of them have gone the extra mile to make themselves look fearsome and stupid. (他们可不是一般普通的令人厌恶的浑球; 他们中一些人还更进一步让他们自​​己看起来恶形恶状和愚蠢)

16. communal effort, a
定义: 社区共同的努力.
例句: A nation with individuals having a healthy mind can be made possible through communal effort. (一个拥有健康心态个体的国家可以经由社区共同的努力来促成其实现)

17. communicate through interpreters, to
定义: 经由翻译人员交谈.
例句: Assuring quality health care services to limited English proficient patients requires certain skills, including the ability to communicate through interpreters. (令人具有信心的高品质医疗保健服务对于英语娴熟力有限的病人来说需要一些技巧, 包括经由翻译人员交谈的能力)

18. commutation of sentence, a
定义: [法律术语]在刑法中, 最高行政首长对刑犯的减刑.
例句: Commutation of sentence involves the reduction of penalties, especially in terms of imprisonment. Unlike a pardon, a commutation does not nullify the conviction and is often conditional. (减刑涉及减轻刑罚尤其是指服刑时间的缩短. 跟赦免不一样, 减刑并不使判罪无效而且经常是有条件的)

19. compact sedan, a
定义: [汽车术语]小轿车.
例句: The Eco version of the Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan currently holds the highest highway rating for any gasoline-power car sold in the US (这款环保版的雪佛兰克鲁兹小轿车目前保持在美国销售的汽油引擎车辆的高速公路最高的省油率)

编者注: 美国汽车燃料效率的计算分为两部分: 市区道路和高速公路.

20. company man, a
定义: 忠于雇主的人; 一心投入工作的人.
例句: I'm a company man. I do the best that I can. My wife and children will have to wait in line for my time because I'm a company man. (我是个忠于雇主的人, 我全心投入工作. 我的妻子儿女必须排队等待我的剩余时间因为我是个忠于雇主的人)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 45 访客