royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 244

帖子 royl » 周六 11月 26, 2011 7:20 pm

二十笔实用成语 244

01. contact information, the
定义: 联络资料. (注: 意指电话, 住址, 电子信箱地址)
例句: eBa​​y members are required to provide accurate contact information such as their name, address, or telephone number when registering on eBay. (eBay会员必须要在注册的时候提供正确的联络资料, 例如他的姓名, 地址, 或电话号码)

02. contact someone by, to
定义: 以...联络某人.
例句: If you want to know more, you can contact me by e-mail at abcdefg@yahoo.com or my cell (123) 456-7890. (如果你想要知道更多的详情, 你可以写信到abcdefg @yahoo.com以电子邮件跟我联络, 或者打电话到(123) 456-7890以手机询问)

03. contain oneself, to
定义: 克制自己.
例句: I'm not supposed to spill the beans, but I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself and just have to share a little bit with you. (我不应该泄密, 但我太兴奋我没法克制自己,不得不跟你分享一点我的小秘密)

04. contempt for, to show
定义: 藐视.
例句: They bicker, self-aggrandize and show contempt for democracy but, ultimately, they remain clueless as to how to get us out of this mess. (他们互相争吵, 自我吹捧, 藐视民主; 然而到最后, 对于如何把我们带离出这个困境他们却茫无头绪)

05. contempt of court
定义: [法律术语]藐视法庭(罪).
例句: An obligor who intentionally fails to comply with a court order for child support can be held in contempt of court. (一个故意拒绝遵循法庭谕令支付子女赡养费的义务人可以被裁定为藐视法庭罪. 注: 藐视法庭罪的惩罚大部分是服刑或罚锾)

06. content oneself with, to
定义: 虽不满意但可以接受, 退而求其次.
例句: The rainy weather spoiled our plans for the beach, so we had to content ourselves with a relaxing day at home. (这个下雨天气破坏了我们去海滩的计划, 所以我们只好退而求其次在家过个轻松的一天)

07. contingent on/upon, be
定义: 取决于, 视...而定.
例句: Our plans are contingent on the weather. (我们的计划取决于天气变化而定)

08. continual vs. continuous
定义: [易混淆字或片语]continual(形容词)是重复不停但可以间断的; continuous(形容词)连续不中断的.

09. continue into next week, to
定义: 延续到下个星期.
例句: The hot weather will continue into next week, with temperatures in the 90s predicted for Monday and Tuesday as well. (由于下星期一和星期二的气温都预测在华氏九​​十几度左右, 这个炎热的天气将延续到下个星期)

10. continue unabated, to
定义: 毫不减弱地持续.
例句: China's building boom continues unabated. If India wants to catch up, it will have to run faster and harder. (中国的蓬勃建设毫不减弱地持续进行. 如果印度想要追上的话, 它将必须要加速和更努力地建设)

11. contradiction in terms, a
定义: 自相矛盾的词汇. (例如一个词汇: a honest crook即诚实的骗子意指骗子与诚实是自相矛盾的)
例句: My experience has taught me that a honest Democrat is a contradiction in terms. (我的经验告诉了我, 一个诚实的民主党员是一个自相矛盾的词汇. 注: 意指民主党员没几个诚实的)

12. contrary to expectations
定义: 出乎意料或预期之外.
例句: Contrary to expectations, guests given the numeral-only menu spent significantly more than those who received a menu with prices showing a dollar sign. (出乎意料之外, 拿了只显示价格数字的菜单客人所花费的金额远超过那些拿了加了美元符号价格菜单的客人的开销)

13. contrary to popular belief
定义: (某件事实)与普遍观点相反的是.
例句: Contrary to popular belief, bottled water is not always better than tap water. (与普遍观点相反的是, 瓶装水并不永远比自来水对身体更有益处)

14. contrast to, a
定义: 与...对照之下之不同处.
例句: The city was quite a contrast to what we had been seeing in other cities. It was a breath of fresh air and as well organized a city as one could hope to find. (这座城市跟我们其他所见的城市对照之下相当不同. 它代表着一股清新气象而且是一座任何人都希望寻求的整齐有序城市)

编者注: 以下是从韦氏字典找出有关此句中one与could两个字的详细解释
1. 这句话里的one是指一般人, people in general也就是任何人, any person或anyone的意思.
2. 这句话里的could是指something that is not possible but that is hoped or wished for, 也就是虽然不可能但仍抱希望的意思.

15. contrast to, to
定义: 显示出...之间的差异.
例句: The author contrasts a former US Marine's life to that of his father who served in the South Vietnamese Army. (这位作者显示出作为一个退役的美国海军陆战队的生活和他曾服役于南越陆军父亲生活之间差异)

16. contrast with, to
定义: 显然地不同于; 显示出...的差异.
例句: This dismal picture contrasts sharply with the generally bright sales picture of the restaurant industry and the fast food industry in particular. (这个凄凉的境况显然地不同于餐馆业和尤其是速食餐馆业通常地亮丽的营销景观)

17. control one's destiny, to
定义: 掌握自己的命运.
例句: The most common entrepreneurial traits include a strong desire to be your own boss, the drive to implement your ideas, and a thirst to control your own destiny. (最常见的企业精神特征包括强烈的作自己老板的愿望, 实现自己理想的追求, 掌握自己命运的渴望)

18. control the purse strings, to
定义: 掌管金钱使用权, 掌握财政决定权.
例句: We both work full time, but he controls the purse strings in our household. I can't spend a dime without asking him. (我们两人都全职工作, 但是他掌握着我们家用开支的财政决定权. 我必须要先取得他的同意才能花任何钱)

编者注: 依照韦氏字典, 这句话里a dime前面的不定冠词a用在否定语气时是任何的意思.
例句: They didn't charge me a dime. = They didn't charge me anything at all.

19. Control yourself!
[成语句型]克制自己! 别激动!

20. convenience store, a
定义: 便利商店.
例句: When I first came to Japan, I was dazzled by the array of foods offered at convenience stores. I think everyone from the US is blown away by them. (当我刚到日本的时候, 便利商店里摆放着琳琅满目的食物让我大开眼界. 我估计每个从美国来的访客都会对它们惊羡不已)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 56 访客