royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 245

帖子 royl » 周一 11月 28, 2011 6:05 pm

二十笔实用成语 245

01. conventional wisdom, the
定义: 传统智慧, 一般大众可以接受的信仰, 意见, 判断.
例句: The attorney doesn't abide the conventional wisdom. His refusal to entertain a plea bargain for his client paid off and helped her win the acquittal. (这的律师不依循传统智慧. 他拒绝考虑让他客户认罪协商的策略最终奏效并帮她赢得无罪的判决)

02. conversation piece, a
定义: 聊天的话题, 茶余饭后的话题.
例句: Having a red poodle has many perks. For one, they are always a conversation piece. (拥有一只红贵宾犬有许多好处. 其中之一的好处就是它们经常成为聊天的话题)

03. convince vs. persuade
定义: [易混淆字或片语]这两个动词意思很接近; convince是说服某人接受你的观点或意见; persuade是劝导某人采取某个行动.

04. cook on the front burner/cook with gas, to
定义: 正在取得良好进展, 有可能成功.
例句: Nothing is cooking on the front burner right now. Heck, I'm still a work in progress. I have no idea how this all turns out. (目前都还没有任何进展. 唉, 我还在进行当中. 我不知道这件事的结果会如何)

05. cook one's goose, to
定义: [俚语]自毁长城; 希望成泡影; 无可挽回地摧毁希望, 计划, 机会.
例句: Hitler cooked his own goose by repeating Napoleon's mistake of invading Russia. (希特勒重蹈拿破仑的覆辙入侵俄罗斯把他自己的希望化为泡影)

06. cook someone's goose, to
定义: [俚语]破坏某人的计划; 阻止某人成功.
例句: I know, she was going to cook his goose, but still, he took it all in stride. (我知道她正要破坏他的计划, 然而, 他却处之泰然, 毫不放在心上)

07. cook the books, to
定义: 非法改造帐簿, 做假帐.
例句: The accountant was cooking the books for over a year before he was caught. (直到他被发现之前, 这个会计员一年多来一直在做假帐)

08. cook up a storm, to
定义: 准备大量精美食物; 小题大作, 制造纷争, 无理取闹.
例句: A team of five Beijing chefs cooked up a storm at the China World Hotel presenting to local diners their prize-winning dishes. (一组五位北京主厨们在北京中国饭店准备大量精美食物提供给当地老饕他们得奖的菜肴)

09. cook up, to
定义: 做些简便餐点; 捏造, 虚构, 图谋, 构思.
例句: I don't know what kind of plan she is cooking up now but it should be quite interesting. (我不知道她现在在构思什么计划, 但它应该是相当令人感兴趣的)

10. cooked/done to a turn, be
定义: 事情做得圆满, 完美; 食物烹调恰到好处, 色香味俱佳.
例句: Chicken, beef and seafood, all cooked to a turn and spiced up with the zesty flavors of the islands. (鸡肉, 牛肉和海鲜, 都烹调恰到好处, 然后再放进这些岛屿特产的芬香扑鼻佐料)

11. cookie, a
定义: [电脑术语]用户识别码. (注: 由网站放在用户的电脑一个密码来识别用户; 使用户能登录, 追踪及供应用户资料)
例句: My computer rings a little bell every time a cookie is sent to the hard drive. (我的电脑每次被送进用户识别码到硬盘的时候都会响一声铃)

12. cookie-cutter, be
定义: [形容词]一成不变的, 缺乏创意的.
例句: I'm not sure his cookie-cutter approach does the best for our needs. (我无法肯定他一成不变的办法最符合我们的需求)

13. cooking, be
定义: 取得良好进展, 有可能成功.
例句: Because interest rates usually go up when the economy is cooking, there's a good chance that the company will be seeing rising profits. (由于经济取得良好进展, 利率也一般跟着升高; 这家公司很有机会看到增长的利润)

14. cook-off, a
定义: 烹饪比赛, 烧烤比赛.
例句: Our restaurant usually kicks off the summer season by hosting an outdoor event, such as a barbecue cook-off, which will keep customers coming back for more. (我们餐馆一般在夏季开始举办一场户外活动, 例如一场烤肉比赛,这样子就会使客户源源而来)

15. cookout, a
定义: 户外烹饪.
例句: When the weather gets hot, we head to the outdoors to enjoy the summer breeze in picnics, cookouts, and a wide variety of summer outdoor activities. (当天气转热, 我到户外享受野餐, 户外烹饪以及各式各样夏季户外活动时吹来的夏季微风)

16. cool
定义: [俚语]非常好, 卓越的; 流行的; 接受, 同意.
例句: In states like Virginia where it's legal for gun owners to walk around in public displaying their heat, and the coffee colossus Starbucks is cool with that. (在像维吉尼亚这些州, 拥枪者在大众前行走并展示他们的枪械是合法的, 咖啡界巨人星巴克也接受拥枪者进入他们店里)

17. cool as a cat, be (as)
定义: 冷静从容的, 沉着镇定的.
例句: Because of my low expectations I was cool as a cat. But when I saw that I passed, I had to check the name and ID 3 times to make sure they got the right person. (由于我不抱什么期望, 我沉着镇定. 但是当我看到我考试通过之后, 我不得不复查我的姓名和识别号码三次来确定他们弄对了人)

18. cool as a cucumber, be (as)
定义: 冷静从容的, 沉着镇定的.
例句: She was as cool as a cucumber when her canoe turned over in the river. (当她的独木舟在河中翻覆时她保持着沉着镇定的态度)

19. cool cu​​stomer, a
定义: 冷静从容的人, 沉着镇定的人.
例句: For all the talk about Matt Ryan being a cool cu​​stomer under pressure, the Packers defense sure put a dent in that résumé Saturday night. (由于大家都谈论有关麦特•莱恩是一个冷静从容的人, 包装工队的防卫在周六晚上确实损害了一点他的形象)

20. cool down, to
定义: 冷却下来; 失去强度; 冷静下来; 变为冷漠.
例句: I was told to take a cold shower, go out for a walk until I had cooled down. Actually, I didn't go out rioting and looting, nor did I whine about being annoyed. (有人要我洗个冷水澡, 出去走走直到冷静下来. 其实, 我并没有参加暴乱和掠夺, 我也没有抱怨被人激怒)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 25 访客