royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 251

帖子 royl » 周一 12月 05, 2011 3:09 pm

二十笔实用成语 251

01. couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag/sack
定义: 描述某人是懦弱无能.
例句: In my estimation, he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper sack with holes in it. The man has no spine. (依我的看法, 他懦弱无能之极. 此人一点骨气都没有)

02. couldn't find his way out of a paper bag
定义: 描述某人是笨拙愚蠢.
例句: I mean, that guy couldn't find his way out of a paper bag. I'm going to let this slide and move on. (我的意思是, 这个家伙愚蠢得要命. 我不会跟他计较也不会跟他纠缠下去)

03. couldn't have done it without someone
定义: 如果没某人的帮助不可能成功.
例句: Thanks, we couldn't have done it without you. (多谢你, 如果没你的帮助我们不可能成功)

04. couldn't have said it better oneself
定义: 你说的太好; 我也说不出这么好.
例句: I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for an article which is both timely and incisive. (你说的太好了. 谢谢你这篇及时和清晰深刻的文章)

05. couldn't help but notice
定义: 禁不住注意到/发现; 无意中发现.
例句: Dear haters, I couldn't help but notice that the word "awesome" ends with "me" and "ugly" starts with "u." (亲爱的恨我的人们, 我禁不住注意到"棒极了"的英文"awesome"这个字的结尾两个字母是"我, me"; "丑陋"的英文"ugly"这个字的字首是"你, u.")

06. couldn't help noticing
定义: 禁不住注意到/发现; 无意中发现.
例句: I couldn't help noticing that this event seemed intent on highlighting the lived experiences of only a select few individuals in the community. (我禁​​不住发现到这个活动似乎完全集中在突显社区内只有少数几个被选择的人的生活经验)

07. couldn't last much longer
定义: 撑不了多久.
例句: Already weak from hunger, and with my arms and legs feeling like wet noodles from the battle, I knew I couldn't last much longer. (我已经被饥饿折磨得孱弱, 经过战斗之后, 我的手脚软得像湿面条, 我知道我撑不了多久)

08. couldn't lie straight in bed
定义: 满嘴谎言.
例句: Tom has the nerve to call Julia a liar. Give me a break, he is the one that couldn't lie straight in bed. (汤姆还有脸说茱莉亚是个撒谎者. 拜托, 他才是个满嘴谎言的人)

09. couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery
定义: [英国俚语]昏庸无能, 弄得乱七八糟.
例句: The world's richest nation couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery and lets Americans starve while they arrogantly observe petty regulations. (这个世界上最富有的国家把政务弄得乱七八糟, 他们傲慢地遵守烦琐规定的同时还让美国人民挨饿)

10. council vs. counsel vs. consul
定义: [易混淆字或片语]council(名词)会议, 评议会, 地方议会; counsel(名词)律师, 商议, 劝告; consul(名词)领事, 执政官.

11. count against, to
定义: 对...不利, 将某人的表现扣分, 扣减, 扣除.
例句: A single comprehensive claim will not count against you. A series of comprehensive claims, such as several stolen vehicles, will count against you. (只有一次的全险理赔不会对你新保险/保费不利. 一连串全险理赔, 例如几辆车被偷, 会对你新保险/保费不利)

12. count among, to
定义: 列为, 算得上.
例句: He counts himself among the luckiest men in the world to have a loving wife. They have been married for thirty years and it is still like the first year. (拥有一位贤淑妻子, 他把他自己列为世界上最幸运的人之一. 他们虽然结缡了三十年了但他们仍像新婚夫妇一般恩爱)

13. count down, to
定义: 倒数计时.
例句: We are all so overjoyed by this wonderful news and are counting down the minutes until we get to meet the newest member of our family. (我们都为了这个美好消息欣喜若狂, 正在倒数计时迫不及待想要看看我们家庭最新的一员. 注: 意指我们急着想要看新生的婴儿)

14. count for little, to
定义: 不认为重要, 没有价值, 不受重视.
例句: I know my opinions count for little. You can scream as much as you want but hard facts will not go away. (我知道我的意见不受重视. 你爱怎么尖叫抗议都无所谓, 但铁一般的事实不会消失)

15. count for nothing, to
定义: 付诸东流, 没有价值, 不受重视.
例句: You are not entitled to your opinion. If you are not informed on the subject, then your opinion counts for nothing. (你无权发表你的意见. 如果你对这个课题没有事实作根据, 你的意见没有价值)

16. count for, to
定义: 有重要性或有价值.
例句: "Doesn't all my work count for anything?" "Your positive attitude counts for a lot as far as I'm concerned." ("难道我所有的工作没有一点价值吗?" "对我来说,你积极的态度具有重大价值.")

17. count heads, to
定义: 点出席的人数.
例句: Don't be late returning to the bus, the driver will not count heads before leaving at the appointed time. (你们回来坐游览车时别迟到, 这位司机在指定时间离开前不会清点人数的. 注: 意指你们要是迟到的话, 你们会赶不上车子)

18. count in, to
定义: 算进去, 包括.
例句: But Jean hasn't been around for ages so I wouldn't count her in at the moment. (但是珍好久没来这里, 所以目前我不会把她算上)

19. Count me in.
[成语句型]我也要参加; 把我也算上.

20. Count me out.
[成语句型]我不参加; 别把我也算进去.

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 55 访客