royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 269

帖子 royl » 周三 12月 28, 2011 9:34 pm

二十笔实用成语 269

01. cut one's eyeteeth/teeth on, to
定义: 开始从事, 开始学习, 从小就学着做, 初试身手.
例句: Someone once told me that John had cut his eyeteeth on computer programming at a young age. (有人曾经告诉我, 约翰从小就学着做计算机程序写作)

02. cut out for, be
定义: 天性适合, 胜任; 因需要而指派, 预先决定的.
例句: Why do you think that you're cut out for this job? (你为什么认为你胜任这个工作?)

03. cut out of whole cloth, be
定义: 纯粹是杜撰或幻想的.
例句: I'm sure that this very argument could be cut out of whole cloth and reprinted today and few readers would bat an eye. (我肯定仅仅这个论点可能是纯粹是杜撰的, 今天再印刷出来, 没有多少读者会惊讶的)

04. cut out the dead wood, to
定义: 去芜存菁, 除去没必要的部分.
例句: You have another chance to cut out the dead wood, highlight the most vital parts of your presentation, and add effective images. (你还有一次机会去芜存菁, 突显你报告最重要的部分, 再补上有说服力的图像)

05. cut out to be ..., be
定义: 天性禀赋适合做某个工作, 胜任.
例句: It seems to take longer to recover from a trip; I guess I'm not cut out to be a world traveler. (我似乎旅游回来需要更多时间恢复体力; 看起来我不适合作一个旅游世界者)

06. cut out, to
定义: 腐蚀形成; 因需要而决定或指派; 结束, 停止; 排除; 取代; 剥夺, 欺骗; 切断电路, 使其无法工作; 匆匆的离开; 从交通路线窜出.
例句: She cut all of her children out of her will and left everything to her grandchildren. (她把她所有的儿女都排除在她的遗嘱之外, 把所有财产交给孙辈)

07. cut short, to
定义: 提前, 提早, 缩短.
例句: Unfortunately, we had to cut our vacation short due to hurricane Irene. (不幸的是, 由于艾琳台风, 我们必须缩短假期赶回家)

08. cut some slack, to
定义: 包容一点, 不要逼人太甚.
例句: This is my first post in here, so please cut me some slack. I really want to improve my English and hope everyone will help me. (这是我第一次在这里上帖子, 请对我包容一点. 我实在想加强我的英语, 希望大家帮助我)

09. cut someone dead, to
定义: 完全漠视, 不打招呼或不理睬某人.
例句: Don't smile at him, cut him dead. I caught him last night gawking a 19-year-old girl's nude pictures on his cell phone. (别跟他笑, 别理睬他. 我昨晚偶然撞见他盯着看他的手机上一个十九岁女郎的裸体照片)

10. cut someone down to size, to
定义: 教训某人别太自满, 自傲.
例句: It's high time someone cut that arrogant little creep down to size. (该是有人站出来教训教训这个傲慢小人别太自满的时候了)

11. cut someone in, to
定义: 邀请某人参与, 列入或分享利益.
例句: Hey, John, we realize that you've played an instrumental part from the start; we want to cut you in on some profits with you in this deal. (嘿, 约翰, 我们知道你从一开始就扮演着关键角色; 我们想请你分享这笔交易的部分利润)

12. cut someone off at the knees, to
定义: 将某人驳斥得体无完肤; 给予某人迎头痛击, 令其安份或安静.
例句: She was trying to bring some common sense to this world of insanity, and cut him off at the knees. (她试图要给这个疯狂世界带来一些基本常识, 把他驳斥得体无完肤)

13. cut someone off, to
定义: 突然的切断某人的电话; 阻止某人说话.
例句: I'm sorry, I hate to cut you off, but I have an appointment and I need to get going. (我很抱歉, 我实在不愿意切断你的电话, 我有一个约会要赴, 我必须要离开)

14. cut someone short, to
定义: 不让某人继续发言, 让某人提早结束讲话, 打断某人的话.
例句: May I just cut you short, because I've discussed this problem with someone else earlier this week? (因为我在本周稍早已经跟别人讨论过这个问题, 我们可不可以不谈这个吗?)

15. cut someone to the quick, to
定义: 深深地伤害或刺痛某人的感情, 严重冒犯某人.
例句: Lynn had forgotten that Danny had a tongue as sharp as hers, and this time, used it to cut her to the quick. She fought to keep her tears from falling. (琳忘了丹尼拥有跟她一样尖刻的伶牙利嘴, 这次, 他用它来毫不留情地刺痛她. 她强忍着不哭)

16. cut someone's throat, to
定义: 割某人的喉咙; 残酷竞争; 摧毁某人的机会或其前途.
例句: She kept talking about how she would cut his throat if she didn't get the raise she wanted. (她一直在谈她如何要摧毁他如果他得不到她想要的加薪)

17. cut the cackle, to
定义: [英国俚语, 命令口气]闲话少说, 安静! 专心工作!
例句: Okay, let's cut the cackle about what causes it and let's try and do some proper research to find out what it is. (好了, 我们少说有关什么原因造成这个问题的闲话, 我们来彻底研究找出这个到底是什么问题)

18. cut the cheese, to
定义: [不雅语]放屁.
例句: Who Cut the Cheese? Oh wait…I did! (谁在放屁? 哦, 等一下…是我!)

19. cut the comedy, to
定义: [命令口气]别再耍宝, 别胡闹.
例句: Cut the comedy, kid. I've got to get back to my work. I've no time for your silly little games. (别胡闹, 老弟. 我必须要赶回去工作. 我没时间跟你玩这个无厘头的花样)

20. cut the crap, to
定义: [不雅命令口气]别扯淡, 废话少说.
例句: Let's cut the crap, we are in a depression right now, just like you can pretend you didn't lose your job so long as your credit card does not hit its limit. (我们废话少说, 我们正处于经济萧条时刻, 就像只要你的信用卡还没刷爆, 你可以假装你没失业)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 36 访客