royl
帖子: 1766
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 270

帖子 royl » 周五 12月 30, 2011 2:55 pm

二十笔实用成语 270

01. cut the Gordian knot, to
定义: 快刀斩乱麻. (注: 以果决, 简单有效的方法解决问题)
例句: I'll say cut the Gordian knot. We must radically reduce the size, power and cost of government. (我认为我们应该快刀斩乱麻. 我们必须从根本上减少政府的规模, 权力和花费)

02. cut the ground from under someone's feet, to
定义: 先发制人; 将某人驳斥得体无完肤; 给予某人迎头痛击.
例句: They had cut the ground from under his feet, and it was only left for him to agree to settle. (他们把他驳斥得体无完肤, 唯一剩下的是要他同意合解)

03. cut the mustard, to
定义: 表现令人满意, 达到标准, 符合要求.
例句: This is how S&P uncovered their $2 trillion dollar error. Let's face it, the old "Go Save Money" model just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. (这就是标准普尔如何发现他们的两万亿美元错误. 我们必须要面对现实, 旧式的"要省钱"的模式已经完全不适用)

04. cut the painter, to
定义: 使分离或脱离, 断绝关系, 独立自主.
例句: We would cut the painter and venture alone on the blue waters of independence. We were not dismayed because we had faith in ourselves. (我们将会断绝关系, 单独地冒险进入独立自主的蓝水大洋. 我们不畏惧因为我们对自己充满信心)

05. cut the wine with water, to
定义: 把酒加水冲淡.
例句: In fact, I often cut the wine with water so that the flavor is not overpowering. (事实上, 我经常把酒加水冲淡以至于辛辣味不过份强烈)

06. cut things fine, to
定义: 接近极限, 抠得太紧, 急赶时间, 给自己留下太少的余地.
例句: Don't cut things fine, give yourself an extra five minutes to get there. (别把时间抠得太紧, 给你自己去那儿的路上多留五分钟)

07. cut through, to
定义: 抄小路, 挤过去; 切穿, 刺穿.
例句: Well, its time to cut through the lies and see exactly where he stands on taxes. (好了, 现在该是要戳穿谎言的时候了, 看看他对增税的立场到底是什么)

08. cut to size/length, to
定义: (将某物)切成适当的大小/长度.
例句: If you're looking for mirrors they can be cut to any shape or size and we have a large range on display in our showroom. (如果你在寻找镜子的话, 它们可以被切成各种适当的形状或大小,我们拥有一大系列的镜子在展示厅展示)

09. cut to the bone, get
定义: (价钱, 预算)被减到不能再少了.
例句: The budget has already been cut to the bone, we're working with a skeleton crew. You can't get by on the bare minimum and do more. (这个预算已经被减到不能再少了, 我们只剩下基本工作人员在工作. 你不可能以最低劳动力来维持下去更不可做更多工作)

10. cut to the chase, to
定义: 直接了当说到重点(精彩的部分), 不拖泥带水.
例句: George, please, cut to the chase. We're tired of your long-winded story already. (乔治, 拜托, 别再拖泥带水. 我们已经受不了你的冗长的故事)

11. cut to the core, to
定义: 直接进入某事的核心或重点; 影响某事的基本性质.
例句: Over the next 5-10 years, Iraq's political leaders must grapple with a series of deeply contentious issues that cut to the core of the design of the Iraqi state. (在未来的五到十年期间, 伊拉克政治领袖必须要努力应付一系列强烈影响伊拉克国家设计的基本性质的争议性问题)

12. cut to the quick, to
定义: 伤某人的感情, 严重冒犯某人; 直接了当说到重点, 不拖泥带水.
例句: Let's cut to the quick, how do we go about creating a new website from scratch? (我们直接了当说到重点吧, 我们该如何从头开始建立一个新网站?)

13. cut two ways, to
定义: 互有利弊, 有利也有弊.
例句: My decision to complain to our boss could cut two ways and cause him to be pleased as well as angry at me. (我向老板投诉的决定有利也有弊, 一则会让他对我满意, 另一则也会触怒他)

14. cut up nasty/bad/rough/savage, to
定义: 大发脾气, 发怒, 非常不满.
例句: My parents cut up rough about me coming home late last night. (因为昨夜我回家太晚, 我父母对我大发脾气)

15. cut up, to
定义: 切成小块; 停止; 严厉地训斥或批评; 割伤, 切坏; 耍宝, 扮小丑.
例句: My hips, knees and hands were cut up pretty badly, but I was even sadder that my Garmin, now with a scratched-up screen, took the brunt of the fall. (我的臀部, 膝盖和双手被严重割伤, 但更让我伤心的是我的Garmin卫星导航器在我摔下来首当其冲刮伤了萤幕)

图片
Garmin卫星导航器

16. cut you to ribbons, to
定义: 严重割伤, 整得你死去活来, 揍得满地找牙, 批评得体无完肤, 比赛让你输的丢脸.
例句: Now watch as I dodge your attacks while I cut you to ribbons and laugh in your face! (现在来看看我躲避你的攻击同时整得你死去活来, 再对着你大笑!)

17. cut your coat according to your cloth, to
定义: 量入为出, 量力而为, 有多少钱买多少东西.
例句: You should cut your coat according to your cloth. Do not go for expenses that you know you cannot afford. (你应该量入为出. 别去找一些你知道你付不起的花费)

18. cut your losses, to
定义: 减少损失最好的办法: 立即停止及离开. (注: 做生意或炒股票一路失败应放弃试图捞回本而立即停止与离开)
例句: If you made the mistake of hiring a relative then it's time to cut your losses and fire your relative. (如果你犯了错误雇用了你的亲戚的话, 你应该马上减少损失, 辞退你的亲戚)

19. cut your own throat, to
定义: 自掘坟墓; 自毁前程.
例句: A sharp tongue can cut your own throat. If you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't oversleep. (拥有一个伶牙利齿可以自毁你的前程. 如果你想要你的梦想成真,你切不可睡过头. 注: 这两句话是有名的座右铭)

20. cut-and-dried/cut-and-dry, be
定义: 已经决定不会更改的; 明确易懂的.
例句: This is a cut-and-dry case of a teacher attempting to maintain order and authority in his own classroom; nothing more. (这是一个明确易懂的一个老师企图在他自己教室内维持秩序和控制权的案件; 仅此而已)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 36 访客