回复
royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

網友問題與回答分享

帖子 royl » 周二 1月 03, 2012 10:36 am

網友問題與回答分享

Give Yourself a Break (給自己一個休息時間)

這是一封網友詢問的信函. 我本來想只回覆網友詢問的兩個問題, 但我讀了上下文之後, 我認為這篇文章非常有意義, 我也喜歡它, 而且翻譯整篇文章比較容易瞭解全面意義.

When I was a young salesman, among the many lessons I learned from an old dog was when to call a time-out. Inexperienced salespeople have a tendency to celebrate a victory by goofing off for a while, which was exactly what I was doing one afternoon. Coming off the golf course, I ran into an old-timer who was a competitor of mine from the envelope wars.
當我還是一個剛起步的推銷員的時候, 從許多我跟一個老手學到的經驗當中之一是何時叫暫停. 沒有經驗的推銷員傾向於以遊手好閒來慶祝一個成功, 也正是我於某一個下午所做的事情. 離開了高爾夫球場, 我碰到了一個老手, 也是我的信封戰爭的競爭對手.

注: 我估計這篇文章的主角是一個文具推銷員. 當然也可能是一個信封推銷員.

"Charlie, I only hope the big order you just landed wasn’t one of my customers," I said.
"查理, 我只希望你剛剛取得的這筆大訂單不是從我的一個客戶那兒拿到的," 我說.

"Hell, no. I couldn’t sell a box of #10 envelopes to a chain-letter freak."
"才不可能, 我連賣一盒十號信封給一個喜歡寫連鎖信的怪人都做不到."

注: 十號信封(4.125 x 9.5 英吋)是美國最常用的信封. 在本文來說, 十號信封是最容易賣出的信封.

"Then why are you out here beating the daylights out of the ball instead of beating the bushes?"
"那你為什麼還在這裡猛打高爾夫球而不去開發新客戶?"

"Because when you’re cold, you’re cold, and when you’re hot, you’re hot. I need to loosen up a little. I need to get that win streak going again. You still think you’ve got a hot putter?"
"因為當你不順遂的時候, 你很不順遂; 當你順利的時候, 你很順利. 我需要放輕鬆一下. 我需要再度找回一路成功的順利. 你還認為你推桿進洞很在行嗎?"

Thus challenged, we took a couple of spins around the putting green, where he relieved me of about $35.
由於被挑戰, 我們在推桿果嶺打了兩回合, 在那裡我輸了三十五塊錢.

"Thanks, Harvey. I’m rejuvenated. Now, if you can just give me the name of that customer you were so worried about, I’ll be back in the trenches tomorrow."
"多謝, 哈維. 我活力恢復了. 好了, 你可不可以把你那個擔心的客戶名字給我, 我會明天回到工作崗位."

"No way, Charlie. The rehab program ends here. Thanks for the putting lesson."
"我才不給你, 查理. 這個康復工作到此結束. 謝謝你的推桿課程."

I thought he was nuts not to be out calling on customers, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I was the one who had his priorities wrong. In sales, athletics, gambling and the stock market, we calculate success by the percentages.
我原以為他不出去拜訪客戶推銷產品是瘋了, 但我越想這件事, 我越覺得我才是把事務優先順序弄錯的人. 在推銷業務, 運動比賽, 賭博以及股市, 我們是以百分比的成長率來計算成功.

注: 對於以百分比的成長率來計算成功, 我的解釋是, 公司方面每年以一定的百分比來規劃未來一年成長率, 如果推銷員能夠達到預定的成長率就算成功. 所以必須要把公司的角色列入考慮.

網友問題:
这个上下文有点长了。这里面有几句话我不太明白,希望您能指点一下。
"Hell, no. I couldn’t sell a box of #10 envelopes to a chain-letter freak."
我的理解是我不能把一盒十个的信封卖给一个连锁信怪人。对吗?
"Because when you’re cold, you’re cold, and when you’re hot, you’re hot. I need to loosen up a little. I need to get that win streak going again. You still think you’ve got a hot putter?"
该怎么翻译第一句话?

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 62 访客