royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 295

帖子 royl » 周四 2月 02, 2012 10:36 pm

二十笔实用成语 295

01. do a slow burn, to
定义: 怒火渐渐升起, 越来越火大.
例句: I started doing a slow burn. I have been patient with them; lost money due to their irresponsibility and this guy is accusing me of wasting his time. (我开始越来越火大. 我对他们一直耐着性子;由于他们不负责任让我亏损累累, 而这个人却怪我浪费他的时间)

02. do a snow job on, to
定义: [俚语]以花言巧语尤其是谄媚来欺骗, 蛊惑或误导某人.
例句: This guy is doing a snow job on us and pretending he is one of us just so he could dump his unwanted problem in our laps. (这个家伙在蛊惑我们, 他假装是我们的自己人以便把他不喜欢的问题丢给我们)

03. do a volte-face on something, to
定义: 做180度转弯或转变; 变挂, 反悔. (注: 意指原来持反对意见变为赞成的或原来持赞成意见变为反对的)
例句: During cross examination, the witness did a volte-face on his earlier deposition before police made on last February. (在反诘问的时候, 这个证人突然变卦, 改变了他早先于二月对警方所做的证词)

04. do all that one could, to
定义: 尽力而为, 全力以赴.
例句: Having done all that he could, John had let things work themselves out; which they had, most satisfactorily. (已经尽了全力之后, 约翰放手让这些情况自行发展; 它们确实发展得极为满意)

05. do all the donkeywork, to
定义: 做呆板的粗活或苦差事.
例句: I did all the donkeywork round the house because mom was sick much of the time. (因为妈妈大部分时间生病, 我做家中所有的粗活)

06. do all the running, to
定义: 亲自管理经营, 主持大局.
例句: Some people just come and leave your life as they wish and you are expected to do all the running and try and make it work. (有些人只是在你的人生随兴所至地出现之后又离开, 你只能指望你自己亲自管理经营, 想办法使它继续正常地运转下去)

07. do an about-face, to
定义: 做180度转弯或转变; 变挂, 反悔. (注: 意指原来持反对意见变为赞成的或原来持赞成意见变为反对的)
例句: Japan rapidly advanced militarily across Asia, but was forced to do an about-face after its defeat in World War II. (日本迅速地在亚洲扩张军力, 但于二次大战被击败之后被强迫做180度地撤退)

08. do an end run, to
定义: 做一个逃避性的诡计或动作.
例句: They're the ones trying to do an end run around the law here, it's not like someone tricked them into doing it. (是他们自己试图规避法律, 并不是别人诱骗他们做这件事)

09. do anything for a buck, will
定义: 为了钱什么都肯干. (注: a buck就是a dollar代表金钱之意)
例句: Some people will do anything for a buck! Do you believe that this woman was trying to sell her baby? (有些人为了钱什么都肯干! 你相不相信这个女人想要卖她的婴儿?)

10. Do as I say and not as I do.
定义: [虚伪托辞]照我说的去做, 别学我怎么做. (注: 意指某人心口不一. 本来应该身教重于言教, 在此则言教重于身教)
例句: The attitude "do as I say and not as I do" does not work well for parents. The words have to match the actions or teaching is in vain. (这种"照我说的去做, 别学我怎么做"的态度对父母来说并不有效果. 应该心口合一否则对儿女的教导不会成功)

11. do as I say, to
定义: 照我说的去做, 服从我的指导.
例句: Just do as I say, and you will see what I m​​ean in a moment. (就照我说的去做, 你待会就会明白我的意思)

12. Do as you're told.
[成语句型]照我说的去做. (注: 意指别多话, 别问太多问题, 听我的话去做就好)

13. do away with, to
定义: 终止, 废除, 取消; 排除, 扔掉; 处理掉, 处死.
例句: First, Texas death row inmates are denied the choices of their last meal, now the State Government is doing away its prisoners lunch on weekends. (首先, 德州死刑犯的最后一餐选择被拒绝, 现在州政府又取消服刑犯人的周末午餐)

14. do battle (with), to
定义: 战斗, 作战, 斗争.
例句: Without question, each time I came out of doing battle with fear for the survival of myself and my family, I came out stronger. (毫无疑问地, 每次我为了我自己和家庭的生存经历了跟恐惧作战之后, 我变得更坚强)

15. do bird, to
定义: 坐牢, 被监禁. (注: 类似鸟被囚禁于笼中)
例句: He's known as Billy the Pigeon, and now he's doing bird. The crook has known little else but life in prison. (他的绰号是鸽子比利, 现正在坐牢. 这个犯人除了监狱生活的经验之外其他什么都不熟)

16. Do birds fly?
[成语句型]鸟飞吗? 当然是! (注: 这句话并不是问人而是告诉别人一个显而易见的或很确定的答覆)

17. do business, to
定义: 做生意, 打交道.
例句: I'm sorry but I can't do business with you any more. I am going to spread the word to my friends who are going to order from you. (我很抱歉我不能跟你再做生意. 我准备传话给我的朋友跟你订货)

18. do by, to
定义: 对待, 处理.
例句: She feels that they did poorly by her. (她感觉他们对她态度不好)

19. do credit to, to
定义: 归功于..., 给...带来荣耀与尊敬, 让别人对...有良好的印象.
例句: Taiwan rises to 6th in IMD global competitiveness rankings in 2011. The ranking does credit to Taiwan's economic achievements. (台湾升至瑞士洛桑国际管理学院2011年国际竞争力评比的第六名. 这个评比给台湾经济成就带来荣耀)

20. do down, to
定义: 鄙视; 以欺骗手段取胜.
例句: People who are self-pitying, feel done down by life, respond by suppressing anger and escaping into a fantasy world of daydreams. (自哀自怜的人们, 感觉被生活以欺骗手段击败, 以压抑愤怒和逃避于白日梦的幻境作为反应)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 320 访客