royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 358

帖子 royl » 周一 5月 28, 2012 2:12 pm

二十笔实用成语 358

01. expand one's horizo​​ns, to
定义: 扩展视野/眼界; 体验新事物.
例句: I hope to expand my horizo​​ns by working with the people of a different culture, and to see things from a different perspective. (我希望透过与各种不同文化背景的人共事来扩展我的视野以及从不同的角度看事情)

02. expat, an
定义: 移居/旅居国外的侨民/侨胞. (注: expat是expatriate的缩写)
例句: I'm travelling to Dallas in the next month or two, and hoping to meet other expats. (我将于一两个月后来达拉斯旅游, 我希望见见其他旅居此地的侨胞)

03. expatiate on, to
定义: (没完没了地)细说, 详述.
例句: If you ask this professor ​​a question, he will expatiate on the topic until you'll wish you hadn't asked. (如果你问这位教授一个问题, 他会没完没了地细说这个话题直到你真后悔你问了这个问题)

04. expect more of the same, to
定义: 换汤不换药, 别指望情况会改善/改变.
例句: Until something is done, you'll expect more of the same. (直到问题解决之前, 你别指望情况会有改善)

05. expect nothing less, to
定义: 抱最起码的希望; 对...满意, 重视或抱着高度期望.
例句: You have done very well in this course. You got a perfect grade on the midterm exam. I expected nothing less of you. (你这门课表现得非常好. 你期中考得到满分. 我对你抱着高度期望)

06. expect the unexpected, to
定义: 有备无患, 要准备没料想到的事. (注: the unexpected是没料想到的事)
例句: In life you should expect the unexpected, and this is why you need an emergency fund. (在人生中你要准备没料想到的事, 这就是为什么你需要一笔紧急用的储备金)

07. expect the worst, to
定义: 作最坏的打算, 准备接受最坏的情况.
例句: After my test results it took awhile for it to sink in that I had HD even though I expected the worst going into the results appointment. (看完了检验结果之后, 经过了一段时间我才渐渐地明白我得了杭廷顿舞蹈症虽然我在去看检验报告的时候已经准备接受最坏的情况)

08. expecting, be
定义: 怀孕待产的, 将要生产.
例句: She's expecting next month. (她可能将在下月生产)

09. expense is no object, the
定义: 钱不是问题, 不在乎花费多少. (注: 意指务必要达成目的或完成任务才是最重要的)
例句: I can't say expense is no object but I'll spend what I have to but no more than needed. (我不敢说钱不是问题, 不过该花的钱我是一定会花但不会用在没必要的花费上)

10. experience the adventure, to
定义: 体验冒险/刺激的活动. (注: experience在这是体验或体会)
例句: Until yesterday I had never experienced the adventure of squid fishing. (直到昨天之前我从来没体验过钓乌贼的刺激活动)
图片
钓到的大乌贼

11. explain away, to
定义: 牵强解释, 搪塞过去.
例句: You can't just explain away anything that doesn't make sense by saying "it's a mystery." (你不能就这样把任何无法理解的事物以"这是一个谜"的解释就搪塞过去)

12. explain oneself, to
定义: 澄清自己; 为自己辩护; 解释或说明自己所做的事是对的.
例句: You can't explain yourself to someone who won't listen. (对于一个不想听你解释的人, 你无法澄清自己)

13. expletive, an
定义: 叫骂脏话, 咒骂之语.
例句: I'm sure we've all been there before where you're so upset that you lose your cool, explode in an tirade, and fill the air with angry expletives. (我确信我们以前都有这种情绪激动得失控, 爆出一连串脏话痛骂的经验)

14. explode in someone's face, to
定义: 在某人面前情绪失控; 意外地彻底失败或栽了跟头.
例句: The government's attempts at reform have exploded in its face, with demonstrations taking place across the country. (这个政府试图的改革已经彻底失败, 跟随的是全国各处爆发的示威游行)

15. explore all avenues, to
定义: 绞尽脑汁, 想各种办法, 竭尽所能.
例句: Dr. Lin has tried to explore all avenues of alternative medicine in an attempt to save her life. (林医师竭尽所能地使用各种替代治疗法来抢救她的性命)

16. explore questions of ..., to
定义: 探索, 研究, 分析...等问题.
例句: You're invited to explore questions of life's meaning, purpose and worth. (欢迎你们一起来探索生命的意义, 目的和价值等问题)

17. explosion in numbers, an
定义: 突然数量的爆增.
例句: Soon after rabbits were released in Australia, there was an explosion in their numbers. (兔子在澳洲被释放到野外之后, 没有多久兔子的数量突然爆增)
图片
数量激增的澳洲兔子

18. explosive exposé, an
定义: 爆炸性的不名誉, 丢脸丑闻的曝光.
例句: It's an explosive exposé of the disturbing practices of the world's most powerful agricultural biotechnology corporation. (这是一则世界上最强势农业生技公司令人不安的生意手段爆炸性丑闻的曝光)

19. explosive temperament, an
定义: 火爆脾气.
例句: He ruled like a paranoid dictator, injecting the company with tension and fear of his explosive temperament. (他像一个偏执狂的独裁者管理业务, 把紧张不安与对他火爆脾气的恐惧强注于这家公司员工的心里)

20. expose oneself, to
定义: 公开场合曝露自己性器官.
例句: A serial flasher is on the loose, exposing himself to women while riding a bicycle. (一名逍遥法外的连环变态曝露狂, 他在骑脚踏车的时候对女性曝露自己性器官)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 282 访客