royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 366

帖子 royl » 周一 6月 25, 2012 11:47 pm

二十笔实用成语 366

01. fall into the trap of, to
定义: 上当, 受骗, 掉入陷阱; 涉入不能自拔的情况; 被人陷害或欺骗.
例句: I fell into the trap of visiting a website to which I subscribed by paying money. Later on, I realized the information I paid for was free on other sites. (我访问过一家网站, 付了费订购资料却上了当. 后来我发现这些我所购买的资料在别的网站是免费的)

02. fall into the wrong hands, to
定义: 落入恶人手中, 被敌人所劫持, 把持, 持有, 擒获或控制.
例句: If this sort of information fell into the wrong hands, we could be in big trouble. (如果类似这种资料落入恶人手中的话, 我们可能有大麻烦)

03. fall like ninepins, to
定义: 许多人受伤, 大量的...失败, 倒闭或衰退.
例句: When inflation and interest rates soared to 20%, stock markets plunged by 80% in real terms, big banks fell like ninepins and unemployment was triple the present level. (如果通膨和利率攀升百分之二十, 股市实质下跌百分之八十, 大量的大型银行将倒闭, 失业率也将是现在程度的三倍)

04. fall off one's perch, to
定义: 死亡.
例句: When the canary fell off its perch, the coal miners immediately vacated the mines and ran for their lives. (当金丝雀死亡的时候, 这些矿工立即撤离这个矿场和逃命)
图片
过去的煤矿工人曾以金丝雀作为毒气预警系统

05. fall off the back of a lorry/truck, to
定义: 偷来的. (注: 意指诙谐的说某物是从卡车上掉下来的)
例句: I don't know where he gets this stereo – I suspect, it fell off the back of a lorry. (我不晓得他从哪里弄到这套音响– 我怀疑它是偷来的)

06. fall off the pumpkin/turnip truck, to
定义: 刚出道, 没经验, 容易上当. (注: 经常以否定语气说: 我不是刚出道, 没经验, 容易上当)
例句: I've been on this job for 30 years and didn't fall off the pumpkin truck. (我做这个工作已经三十年了, 我可不是刚出道的)

07. fall off the wagon, to
定义: 又开始酗酒或吸毒.
例句: He fell off the wagon after he stopped drinking for three years. (在他戒酒三年之后他又开始酗酒)

08. fall off, to
定义: 掉下来; 减少; 减轻; 减肥; 进入一个新的方向; 船转向往避风头的方向.
例句: The number of tourists to visit the island has fallen off quite a lot recently. (来这个岛屿游玩的游客人数最近减少了许多)

09. fall on deaf ears, to
定义: 被人置之不理, 被人充耳不闻.
例句: If you talk to the workers about management's problems, your message will fall on deaf ears. (如果你跟工人谈论管理部门的问题, 不会有人理你)

10. fall on hard times, to
定义: 陷于穷困.
例句: Since he lost his job, his family had fallen on hard times. (自从他失去这个工作之后, 他的家庭就陷于穷困)

11. fall on one's face, to
定义: 面朝下趴在地上, 五体投地地敬拜, 摔个狗吃屎; 彻底失败, 弄得一败涂地或灰头土脸.
例句: The guy got caught up in his own charisma and fell on his face. (这个小子沉迷在自己的魅力里, 把自己弄得灰头土脸)

12. fall on one's feet/legs, to
定义: 站起来; 克服困难, 转危为安, 回复旧观.
例句: Whenever John gets in trouble, he always falls on his feet. (每次约翰碰到麻烦的时候, 他总是有办法克服困难)

13. fall on one's sword, to
定义: 自杀; 接受失败; 被迫辞职; 牺牲自己, 为个人或团体的行为负责.
例句: I know I caused the problem, but I'm not the only one to blame. I won't fall on my sword. They'll have to fire me. (我知道我造成了这个问题, 但我不是唯一要负责的人. 我不会牺牲我自己. 他们只有解雇我)

14. fall on stony ground, to
定义: 对要求, 警告或劝导充耳不闻/置之不理.
例句: Ten years ago, the idea of​​ free energy would have fallen on stony ground. (十年前, 免费能源这个概念也许会被人充耳不闻)

15. fall on/upon, to
定义: 突然, ​​恶毒地攻击; 遇见, 碰到; (无意间)注意.
例句: Then, my eyes fell on him. He was skinny, with gentle blue eyes, and a quiet but stable demeanor. (随后我注意到他. 他那个时候瘦骨嶙峋, 拥有一双温柔的蓝眼睛, 和安静但稳重的举止)

16. fall out of favor, to
定义: 退流行的; 不再受欢迎.
例句: Stocks become undervalued for a variety of reasons, such as an overall market decline or when a specific industry falls out of favor. (股票被评估过低有多种原因, 例如当股市整体下跌或一个特定行业不再受欢迎)

17. fall out of love, to
定义: 不再与某人恋爱, 失恋.
例句: She points out that while some couples believe they've fallen out of love with each other, actually they haven't. They've only lost the motivati​​on to love. (她指出, 尽管有些夫妻认为他们已经不再相爱, 其实他们并非如此. 他们只是失去了爱的激励​​)

18. fall out of use, to
定义: 不再使用.
例句: The landline has fallen out of use most of the time. My grandparents are the only one to use it. (这台地线电话大部分的时候已经没人使用. 我祖父母是唯一使用它的人)
图片
以埋在地下的金属或光纤电缆传递讯号(亦称固网电信)的地线电话

19. fall out with someone, to
定义: 与某人争论; 不再与某人为友.
例句: I hate it when you fell out with someone you love over something silly. (我实在不喜欢当你跟一个你所爱的人为了一件小事争吵)

20. fall out, to
定义: 脱落; 跌落; 争论或因吵架而分手; 出列, 脱队; 变为, 发生.
例句: My hair fell out after I bleached it. Will it grow back? (在我漂白之后, 我的头发脱落. 它会不会再长回来?)
图片
漂白的头发

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 299 访客