royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 367

帖子 royl » 周三 6月 27, 2012 7:35 am

二十笔实用成语 367

01. fall over oneself, to
定义: 殷勤, 急切, 或热衷地做事或追求.
例句: The boys fell all over themselves to open the door for Sarah. (这群男孩殷勤地抢着替莎拉开门)

02. fall over, to
定义: 向前跌倒, 掉落在...上面, 被打翻.
例句: The vase fell over and the water spilled onto the table. (这只花瓶被打翻, 水溅洒在桌面上)

03. fall overboard about/for, to
定义: 殷勤, 急切, 或热衷地做事或追求.
例句: Spoilt by adoration from all sides, he had taken it for granted that Melanie would fall overboard for him. (被各方的爱慕者惯坏, 他理所当然地认为美兰妮会热衷地追求他)

04. fall prey to someone, to
定义: 受到某人的伤害, 成为受害者/牺牲者.
例句: Let's all be very careful what we say at the meeting tomorrow. I don't want anyone to fall prey to his own indiscretion. (明天的会议上我们统统要谨慎发言. 我不希望任何人成为他自己轻率发言的受害者)

05. fall semester, the
定义: 秋季学期, 秋季班. (注: 大约八月到十二月; 美国大学普遍是"学期制"即一年两个学期或"学季制"即一年四个季期)
例句: Most universities on the semester system have a fall semester from the day after Labor Day in September, a spring semester from January, and an optional summer session.. (大部分采用学期制的大学包括从九月劳工节之后开始的秋季班, 一月份开始的春季班, 和可选择的夏季班)

06. fall short of one's expectations, to
定义: 无法达到别人的期望.
例句: The new movie fell short of everyone's expectations and attendance is very low. (这部新电影未达到大众的期望, 来看电影的人非常少)

07. fall short, to
定义: 不足够..., 未到达...(适量/标准/期望/目标), 比...差劲, 不如.
例句: In comparison to her previous novel, this one falls short. (与她前一部小说比较, 这部小说不如前一部)

08. fall through the cracks, to
定义: 没有被检察到; 被忽略; 被漏掉; 不符合两者之原因, 性质任何一个.
例句: These children fell through the cracks. They didn't learn to read. (这些儿童没人管教. 他们没学会阅读)

09. fall through, to
定义: (该发生的)没发生; 未能达到想要的目标; 没成功.
例句: His plans to write a novel fell through because he didn't get a government grant. (他创作一部小说的计划没达成因为他没取得政府的补助)

10. fall to pieces, to
定义: 精神崩溃, 不能控制情绪; 突然垮台, 突然完全失败.
例句: No one noticed when I was falling to pieces, but now all eyes on me as I'm gathering myself. (当我精神崩溃的时候没人注意, 但当我现在重振精神的时候大家都注意我)

11. fall to, to
定义: 精力充沛的开始一个活动; 成为某人的责任.
例句: Why does it always fall to me to apologize first? (为什么总是要我先道歉?)

12. fall under, to
定义: 跌到...的底下; 归类于, 隶属于; 受到...的影响.
例句: I had only known her for a week but I already fell under her spell. (我才认识她一个星期但我已经着了她的迷了)

13. fall victim to ..., to
定义: 成为...的牺牲者, 受到...的伤害.
例句: He fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. (他成为最典型失策之一的牺牲者. 最著名的是: 决不加入亚洲的地面战争)

14. fall within the guidelines, to
定义: 符合规定/指导原则.
例句: Your family income falls within the guidelines to qualify for free or reduced price lunch. (你的家庭收入符合了具有取得免费或折扣价格午餐的规定)

15. fall/drop off the map, to
定义: 不再被人知晓, 消声匿迹.
例句: I know, I fell off the map lately, but I'm back. (我知道, 我最近消声匿迹, 但我回来了)

16. fall/go through the floor, to
定义: 价格或价值惨跌.
例句: House prices have gone through the floor this year, so it is a good time to buy a house. (今年住屋价格惨跌, 所以这是一个购屋的好时机)

17. fall/lean over backward/backwards, to
定义: 表现急切的热忱, 尽力, 极力.
例句: I've leaned over backward to please you and you haven't even said thank you! (我已经尽力地让你称心满意, 你连一句谢谢你的话都没说!)

18. fall/run afoul of ..., to
定义: 触犯法规.
例句: A Texas supplier of rattlesnakes soaked in bottles of vodka fell afoul of the law because he had no liquor license. (一家把响尾蛇泡在伏特加酒瓶内的德州供应商触犯了法规因为他没有烈酒执照)

19. fall/slip through the net, to
定义: 没有被检察到; 被忽略; 被遗漏.
例句: There are plenty of talented players who slip through the net and never get to play professionally. (许多才艺出众的球员被遗漏, 永远没机会进入职业球队比赛)

20. fallen hero, a
定义: 捐躯的英雄, 殒逝的英雄.
例句: This is a tribute to our fallen heroes. May we never forget! (这是一首给我们殒逝英雄的颂辞. 希望我们永远不忘却!)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 297 访客