royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 372

帖子 royl » 周三 7月 18, 2012 3:24 am

二十笔实用成语 372

01. fast-paced society
定义: 快步调的, 快节奏的.
例句: In today's fast-paced society, people tend to talk rapidly because there seems to be so many things to do in so little time. (在今天这种快步调的社会里, 由于好像在这么短的时间里有太多的事情要做, 人们多半急促地交谈)

02. fast-talker, a
定义: 骗子, 鼓动如簧之舌者, 舌灿莲花取信于人者.
例句: He is a fast-talker so you should be careful not to believe everything he says. (他是个舌灿莲花者, 因此你要谨慎, 不可尽信他的话)

03. fast-track your career, to
定义: 加速你的事业成功.
例句: The best way to fast-track your career is to marry the boss's daughter. (最快加速你事业成功的捷径就是娶你老板的女儿)

04. fat cat, a
定义: 政治捐款大方的富人; 富裕而有特权的人; 大款.
例句: They're the fat cats in our town. They've got tons of money. (他们是我们乡里的大款. 他们家有得是钱)

05. fat chance, a
定义: 不可能, 渺茫的希望或机会.
例句: Fat chance that he will let me use his car. He never lets me borrow anything. (他才不可能让我用他的车子. 他从不借我任何东西)

06. fat check, a
定义: 大金额支票.
例句: The President is getting a fat check from the IRS this year, which is enough to single-handedly put a family of four over the poverty threshold. (今年总统将要收到国税局一张大额支票, 光这张支票就足够使四口之家脱离贫穷界限)

07. fat city, a
定义: [俚语]无忧无虑的富裕情况/生活.
例句: After I get the big bonus my boss promised I'll be in fat city. (我老板向我保证, 等我拿到这份巨额奖金之后我可以过着无忧无虑的富裕生活)

08. fat farm, a
定义: [俚语]健身中心, 减肥中心, 专营减肥的温泉区或度假区.
例句: Newer fat farm programs not only focus on weight loss, but also on changing behavior through a combination of training on self-regulatory behaviors and cognitive-behavioral therapy. (较新减肥中心的工作不只注重体重减轻, 它也注重经由自我节制行为训练与认知行为心理治疗的结合来改变其行为)

09. fat hit the fire/fat is in the fire, the
定义: 火上加油, 问题变得益发不可收拾, 场面变为火爆.
例句: Kate accused Jennie of lying – that's when the fat hit the fire. (凯特指控珍妮说谎– 就在这个时候, 场面变得火爆)

10. fat jokes
定义: 拿肥胖人开的玩笑.
例句: Fat jokes can be cruel at times. For instance, "Yo mama is so fat the only thing stopping her from going to Jenny Craig is the door." (拿肥胖人开的玩笑有时太残忍. 例如, "你妈妈胖得太离谱, 唯一阻止她去Jenny Craig瘦身中心去减肥是这个门.")

11. fat lot of good/use, a
定义: 没有帮助或用处.
例句: We signed up for the "National Do Not Call Registry" several years ago, but a fat lot of good that has done us lately. (我们几年前就加入"全美不接受推销电话名单", 但它最近对我们毫无帮助. 注: 意指电话推销公司才不管你有没有向政府注册这个名单, 他们照打不误)

12. fat lot, a
定义: 几乎没有; 一点都没有.
例句: He is a firm believer of "everyone for himself." A fat lot he cares about anyone else's troubles. (他是个"人不为己, 天诛地灭"的忠实信徒. 他才不管别人的死活)

13. fate is sealed, the
定义: 命运已经被注定了.
例句: After that, Tom realized what he had done, and knew his fate was sealed. (自此之后, 汤姆了解到他的所作所为, 也明白他的命运已经被注定了)

14. fate worse than death, a
定义: 生不如死. (注: 比死亡还悲惨的遭遇或命运, 例如被强奸, 失贞)
例句: Disgrace was a fate worse than death for a soldier. (耻辱对一个军人来说生不如死)

15. fat-free
定义: [食品标签语]无脂的. (注: 每一次食用量只有或少于半公克脂肪)
例句: In many low-fat and fat-free foods the fat is replaced with sugar, flour, or other full-calorie ingredients; and the reduction in caloric value is small, if any. (在许多低脂和无脂的的食物中, 脂肪被糖, 面粉, 或其他全热量的原料所取代; 如果还有的话, 它们对热量值的降低少得可怜)

16. fathead, a
定义: [不尊重语]蠢人, 傻瓜.
例句: Now you tell me who's the fathead? (你告诉我现在谁才是个蠢蛋?)

17. father figure, a
定义: 像父亲的长者, 一个可以寻求意见及支持的人.
例句: It's a fact that a child needs a father figure for their development. (一个小孩需要一个像父亲的长者来帮助他们的成长是个事实)

18. father of two/three/four, a
定义: 两/三/四个小孩的父亲.
例句: Mr. Smith is a father of two. We meet him walking along the street with a young boy whom he proudly introduces as his son. (史密斯先生是个两个小孩的父亲. 我们在街上遇到他带着一个年幼男孩逛, 他自豪地介绍这是他的儿子)

19. fathom out, to
定义: 想出, 明白, 测量出, 计算出.
例句: I couldn't fathom out why she had done such a thing. (我真不明白她为什么会做出这样事)

20. fatten one's coffers, to
定义: 中饱私囊, 增加财力.
例句: This guy fattened his coffers on your dime. In addition to his obscene salary, I'm guessing there was plenty of behind-the-scenes back-scratching. (这家伙拿你们的钱来中饱私囊. 除了他惊人的薪水之外, 我估计还有许多台面下的利益交换)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 278 访客