royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 407

帖子 royl » 周三 10月 31, 2012 12:41 pm

二十笔实用成语 407

01. for the privileged few
定义: 为了/对于少数的特权人物/阶级(来说).
例句: For the privileged few, opportunities to make money always exist. (对于少数的特权阶级来说, 赚钱的机会永远存在)

02. for the reason that ...
定义: 由于..., 因为...
例句: An annulment is usually granted for the reason that one or both parties did not have the mental ability to understand the promise that they made when getting married. (婚姻无效一般被准许是由于一方或两造当事人不具备心智能力了解他们在结婚时所作出的誓言)

03. for the record
定义: 要人注意或记住, 公开表达; 记录在案, 有事实为证.
例句: I'll do what you want, but for the record, I don't think this is a good idea. (我会做你要我做的事, 但你要记住, 我不认为这是个好主意)

04. for the rest
定义: 其他的部分, 至于其他的, 对于剩下的问题或需求.
例句: The salary in my new job is great, but as for the rest, I'm not impressed. (我新工作的薪水很不错, 但至于其他的, 我觉得不怎么样)

05. for the sake of
定义: 为了, 为了...起见, 为了某个分歧, 为了某个利益, 目的或动机.
例句: Let's not disagree for the sake of a few bucks. (我们别为了几块钱弄得意见不合)

06. For the sake of argument
定义: 为了考虑各种可能性, 为了争论而争论, 为了方便讨论.
例句: Let's assume, for argument's sake, that it was a mistake. (为了考虑各种可能性, 让我们假设这是一个错误. 注: 此句也可以解释为: 让我们暂时假设这是个错误来看看它对我们的讨论有什么样的影响)

07. For the sake of conversation, I will grant you that you have some merits.
[成语句型]为了谈话之故, 我愿意承认你的话有些道理.

08. for the second time in two weeks
定义: 这是两星期内的第二次.
例句: For the second time in two weeks, I received a harassing phone call at work. (这是两星期内的第二次在我办公时接到骚扰电话)

09. for the simple reason that
定义: 只因为, 原因很简单.
例句: I can't give you the report for the simple reason that it isn't yet finished. (我没法给你这份报告, 原因很简单: 它还没做好)

10. for the use of customers only
定义: (论及私人设施)只供给客人使用. (注: 常出现在旅馆或饭店的告示牌上)
例句: Many private car parks are for the use of customers only and some make use of wheel clamping to crack down on unauthorized parking. (许多私营停车场只供给其客人使用, 有些停车场使用车轮夹锁来严惩非法停​​车)
图片
车轮夹锁

11. for the want of/for want of
定义: 因为缺乏, 因为无法取得, 因为适当的...不存在.
例句: It's not for want of trying on my part. In fact, trying too hard was exactly what caused my problems. (并不是因为我没尽力. 事实上, 过于尽力恰恰是造成我问题的原因)

12. for the world
定义: 不论如何. (注: 常置于否定语句之后)
例句: Yes, I wouldn't miss it for the world. (是的, 我肯定会去. 注: 此句也可以翻译为: 是的, 我无论如何都不会错过它)

13. for too many times
定义: 已经太多次.
例句: I have had that excuse used on me for too many times, so I'm not feeling very sympathetic for them. (这个借口已经用在我身上太多次了, 因此我不同情他们)

14. for two cents
定义: 毫不犹豫地(做某事). (注: 假如你说for two cents你要做某事, 你毫不犹豫会做这件事)
例句: For two cents I'd hit him. He's so darned spoiled and stuck-up. (我会毫不犹豫地揍他. 他实在太骄纵和目中无人)

15. recognize/see it for what it really is, to
定义: 认清/看清其真实面目/情况.
例句: Soon the novelty will wear off and you will see it for what it really is. (没多久这个新鲜感就会逐渐消失, 你会看清其真实面目)

16. for what it's worth
定义: 姑妄言之, 姑妄听之; 听不听由你; 姑且相信. (注: 意指它可能有帮助也可能没有帮助)
例句: And my son says, for what it's worth, that he won't do it again. (而且我儿子说, 我姑且相信一次, 他决不会再犯这个错误)

17. for whatever reason
定义: 不论是什么理由, 不管由于什么原因, 不知为什么.
例句: For whatever reason, I wasn't feeling up to heading out to the park this morning for a jog. (不知为什么, 今天早上我感觉没什么精力去公园慢跑)

18. for your eyes only
定义: (机密档案)只允许你一人阅读.
例句: This memo is for your eyes only. (这份内部通知只允许你一个人阅读)

19. for/to all intents and purposes
定义: 事实上, 实质上, 实际上.
例句: Their decision to begin bombing was, to all intents and purposes, a declaration of war. (实际上, 他们开始轰炸的决定是一份宣战声明)

20. forbidden fruit
定义: 禁果. (注: 意指非法或不道德的享乐)
例句: The fact that it's forbidden fruit that you can't have makes it twice as alluring. (事实上, 因为它是一个你不能取得的不道德享乐使它加倍地诱人)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 214 访客