royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 408

帖子 royl » 周四 11月 01, 2012 4:32 pm

二十笔实用成语 408

01. force down someone's throat, to
定义: 强加于人; 逼迫别人接受你的观点, 意见, 意志.
例句: I'm sick of all the lies they force down our throats. (我不想再听他们强迫我们接受的一切谎言)

02. force it down, to
定义: 硬吞下去.
例句: The medicine tasted awful, but I m​​anaged to force it down. (这服药真难吃, 但我还是勉强硬吞下去)

03. force of habit, a
定义: 长年养成的习惯, 成了自然的习惯, 不经思考的自然行为.
例句: She still cooks enough food for five people. It's force of habit. (她仍旧做出足够五人份量的饭菜. 这是长年养成的习惯)

04. force of nature, a
定义: 大自然的力量; 强势, 不易驾驭的人. (注: 如果形容某人有呼风唤雨的影响力也可以用He/She is a force of nature来形容他/她)
例句: Granted, John is a force of nature. Some say he's semi-divine. Does he dare cross the line? No, he does not. (我承认约翰是个强势, 不易驾驭的人. 有些人说他有如半人半神. 他胆敢触犯禁忌吗? 不, 他不敢)

05. force on/upon, to
定义: 强加于人, 强迫别人接受.
例句: This person is bound to lead our nation to ruin precisely because of the sacrifices he is forcing upon the most productive people. (正因为他强迫最具生产力的人牺牲他们的辛劳成果, 此人肯定会把我国带入毁灭)

06. force one's way (in), to
定义: 硬闯进, 强行进入, 硬挤出一条路.
例句: She attempted to keep him outside of the house, but he was able to force his way in nonetheless. (她尽力地防止他进屋内, 但他仍能够强行进入)

07. force oneself, to
定义: 强迫自己, 勉为其难, 吃力硬撑.
例句: If you don't feel like eating more, don't force yourself. (如果你不想再多吃一点, 别强迫自己)

08. force open the door, to
定义: 强行打开门, 硬把门撞开.
例句: I bent all my strength and forced open the door. (我凝聚我所有的力量, 硬把门撞开)

09. force someone's hand, to
定义: 逼人摊牌, 突然逼人行动, 迫使某人做出让步.
例句: I'm sure they don't want to reduce the price but if you threaten to pull out of the deal that might force their hand. (我确信他们不愿意降价, 但如果你威胁撤销这笔交易也许会迫使他们让步)

10. force the issue, to
定义: 强迫某人采取行动, 强迫某人对某事做决定或表态.
例句: They would never have addressed the problem if that newspaper article hadn't forced the issue. (如果没有那家报纸文章强迫他们采取行动的话, 他们永远不会解决这个问题)

11. force the pace, to
定义: 强迫加快...速度/节奏.
例句: I'm glad to see you're looking better, but you shouldn't try to force the pace of your recovery. (我很高兴看到你气色转好, 但你不应该强迫加快你的康复速度)

12. force the propaganda down our throats, to
定义: 强要我们接受其宣传. (注: propaganda是宣传)
例句: The way they try to force their propaganda down our throats will backfire. Give them enough rope to hang themselves, I say. (以他们试图强迫我们接受其夸大宣传的方式终会适得其反. 我肯定, 让他们继续胡作非为, 他们将会自我毁灭)

13. force to be reckoned with/force to reckon with, a
定义: 一股不可忽视/不可小觑的力量/势力, 权势人物.
例句: As an economic force to be reckoned with, baby boomers are still making a sizable impact on the economy of the United States, along with their children. (作为一股不可忽视的经济势力, 婴儿潮出生的人以及他们的子女仍然对美国的经济拥有可观的影响力)

14. forced to ..., be
定义: 被强迫做某事, 不得不做某事.
例句: Immediately I was uncomfortable with the experience because I was forced to sign my lease online before I had seen my apartment. (由于我还没看见我的公寓就被强迫在线​​上签署我的租约, 我立即对这个程序感觉不对劲)

15. fore and aft
定义: [航运术语]船只/飞机的前舱与后舱部分, 从船/机头到船/机尾地; 纵向地; 到处地.
例句: Both the fore and aft exits were opened and so I exited through the rear door. (这架飞机的前舱与后舱的出口都打开了, 因此我从后门下飞机)

16. foregone conclusion, a
定义: 肯定会发生的/预料中的结局, 定局.
例句: I'm not sure if World War Three is a foregone conclusion but I know for sure they have been working on it since 1990s. (我不确定第三次世界大战是否已成定局但我确实知道他们从一九九零年代以来就努力推动它)

17. foreign accent
定义: 外国口音/腔调; 外国特色/风格.
例句: There's nothing wrong with a foreign accent. What you need to do is to make yourself understood. (带有外国口音并不是什么问题. 你所需要做的是让别人听懂你的话)

18. foreign to, be
定义: 不了解, 不熟悉.
例句: The concept is completely foreign to me. (我完全不了解这个概念)

19. foremost in (all) one's mind
定义: 列为首要考虑事项, 谨记在心, 一直萦绕在脑中.
例句: That advice will remain foremost in my mind in every decision I make. (这个忠告我将谨记在心成为我做每个决定的准则)

20. forever and a day/forever and ever
定义: 无休无止地, 很久, 很长的时间.
例句: It took forever and a day to get the book we ordered. (等了很长的时间才收到我们订购的书)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 221 访客