royl
帖子: 1768
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 424

帖子 royl » 周三 11月 28, 2012 8:14 am

二十笔实用成语 424

01. gain momentum, to
定义: 发展或成长加快, 势头增强.
例句: We're gaining momentum and we want you to help us keep it going. (我们正取得进展, 我们希望你帮助我们维持这个势头)

02. gain more political leverage, to
定义: 得到更多的政治权力或影响力.
例句: If African Americans and Latinos are going to gain more political leverage in the city, they are required to vote more tactically. (如果非裔美国人和拉美人要取得这个城市更多的政治影响力, 他们必须要更策略性地投票)

03. gain notoriety, to
定义: 名声远扬.
例句: Sitting Bull gained early notoriety fighting the American settlers and soldiers as a result treaty violations by the United States during the 1850s and 1860s. (坐牛以与美国殖民者和军人抗战取得早期的声名远扬, 由此造成美国政府于一八五零至六零年代违反签订的条约)
图片
坐牛是十九世纪美国印第安人拉科塔苏族胡克帕哈部落领袖

04. gain on or upon, to
定义: 蚕食, 侵蚀; 追赶上; 取得进展, 继续壮大; 超越, 取得优势.
例句: We were gaining on them when they suddenly sped up. (他们突然加速冲刺之后, 我们正渐渐地追赶上他们)

05. gain one's laurels, to
定义: 获得名声, 盛誉.
例句: He is tall and straight and has gained his laurels on the basketball floor. But he was so cute and all the girls liked him so much. (他个子高挺, 在篮球场上获得盛誉. 然而他很可爱, 所有的女孩都很喜欢他)

06. gain recognition, to
定义: 取得别人的承认/认可/赞赏.
例句: He has gained recognition for successfully prosecuting both mob bosses and corrupt public officials. (由于成功地法办了黑帮老大与腐败的政府官员, 他取得了民众的赞赏)

07. gain someone's confidence, to
定义: 取得某人的信任/信心.
例句: She is a very private person but we have gained her confidence. She has started to let us do some shopping for her and, on a few occasions, invited us into her house. (她是个非常内向的人, 但我们取得了她的信任. 她开始让我们替她做一些购物工作, 有时候也邀请我们去她家)

08. gain strength, to
定义: 获得力量, 增强力量.
例句: We gain strength and courage and confidence by each experience in which we stop to look fear in the face. (经由每一个在当时我们静止下来无畏地面对恐惧的经验, 我们增强了力量, 勇气与信心)

09. gain the lead, to
定义: 取得领先.
例句: A new study by The Pew Charitable Trusts shows China gained the lead last year in clean energy investment, while US investment fell by more than 40 percent. (于美国投资跌落了超过百分之四十同一期间, 一份由皮优慈善信托所发布的新研究显示出中国去年已经取得了清洁能源投资的领先)

10. gain the upper hand, to
定义: 占上风, 取得优势.
例句: After over 80 years of warfare the French finally gained the upper hand with the decisive victory at O​​rleans. (经过超过八十多年的战争, 法国终于在奥尔良决定性胜利之后取得了优势)
图片
英法百年战争中带领法国军队对抗入侵英军在奥尔良获胜的圣女贞德

11. gain time, to
定义: 节省时间, 争取时间, 拖延时间.
例句: Good time management means scheduling your time to gain time. If you find that you need more time for all your activities, consider scheduling your time. (良好的时间管理意味着以安排你的时间来节省时间. 如果你发现你需要更多的时间来应付你所有的活动, 你应当考虑计划你​​的时间)

12. gains in performance
定义: 表现, 表演或性能上的改进. (注: gains在此等于improvements即改善)
例句: For a good cyclist, a high-end bike could shave minutes off bike times, but for the average Joe, the gains in performance may not be worth the cost. (对于一个优秀自行车骑士来说, 一部高档自行车可以省下几分钟的骑车时间, 但对于一般普通人, 这个性能上的改进也许不值得它的费用)

13. gal, a
定义: [俚语]女孩, 女人的俗称.
例句: I'm a fun gal with a wicked sense of humor looking for like minded people to chat with. (我是一个带着调皮幽默感的让人开心女孩, 我正寻找志同道合的人们来一起闲聊)

14. gallows humor
定义: 黑色幽默, 有关死亡或灾难笑话. (注: 虽然这种笑话玩世不恭但有时也有趣味)
例句: Gallows humor has the social effect of strengthening the morale of the oppressed and undermines the morale of the oppressors. (黑色幽默具有提振被压迫者斗志与破坏压迫者士气的社会效益)

15. galvanize into action, to
定义: 剑及履及地果决行动, 受激励后立即采取行动.
例句: I was galvanized into action when I realized that my assignment was due a week earlier than I had thought. (当我发现到我被分派的工作比我原想的截止日期还要早一个星期的时候, 我立即采取行动)

16. game at which two can play, a
定义: 两人可以玩的游戏/比赛; 不止只有你才会玩这套; 你怎么对人, 人家也可以怎么对你.
例句: These are things we need to think about, considering that hardball is a game at which two can play. (有些事情我们需要好好地想一想, 考虑到不止只有你才会采取强硬手段)

17. game for anything, be
定义: 对什么事情/活动都有兴趣.
例句: If you're going to the moon, I'll go. I'm game for anything. (如果你要上月球的话, 我也会去. 我对什么活动都有兴趣)

18. game is afoot, the
定义: 活动或事件方兴未艾/正在进行.
例句: If the game is afoot, you can be sure these gals will be first out the door, dressed to the nines and leading the pack with all the fire usually attributed to redheads. (如果活动仍在进行的话, 你可以肯定这些女孩将会首先夺门而出, 打扮得漂漂亮亮地, 以一般属于红发女郎的热情领先群伦)
图片
热情的红发女郎

19. game is not worth the candle, the
定义: 物非所值, 得不偿失, 不值得做的事.
例句: In this case, the game is not worth the candle as there is little point in me trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. (在这个情况下, 由于试图把腐朽化为神奇没有什么意义, 对我来说这事不值得做)

20. game is up, the
定义: 事迹败露, 骗局或谎言被人揭穿.
例句: Okay, the game is up. Now you have to tell me what's going on. (好了, 你的事迹败露了. 你现在必须要告诉我事情的真相)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 219 访客