royl
帖子: 1770
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 457

帖子 royl » 周五 9月 27, 2013 1:04 am

二十笔实用成语 457

01. girly/girlie magazine, a
定义: 色情杂志, 以裸女照片吸引人的杂志.
例句: All the girls in every girly magazine can't make him feel any less lonely. He's longing for a soul mate. (把所有的色情杂志的女郎找来也不会使他感觉少一分孤独. 他正渴望一位心灵伴侣)

02. girly/girlie man
定义: 懦弱, 娘娘腔的男人.
例句: He is a girly man all right and that's that, not a homosexual. (没错他是个娘娘腔男人, 仅此而以, 他并不是一个同性恋者)

03. give 110%, to
定义: 全力以赴, 尽全力; 超体力地工作.
例句: If we want to win this game, everyone has to give 110%. (如果我们想要赢得这场比赛的话, 大家必须要全力以赴)

04. give a bad name to, to
定义: 使...遭到恶名/蒙上污名.
例句: He misused his profession and gave a bad name to this profession. (他运用他的专业技术于不正当的用途上使他的行业蒙上污名)

05. give a big hand, to
定义: 给予热烈的掌声.
例句: Let's give him a big hand for the great job that he has done. (请大家给他热烈的掌声鼓励他的出色表现)

06. give a black eye, to
定义: 给予某人一记重击; 给某人带来污名/恶名.
例句: When a priest is convicted of sexual assault, it gives the Catholic Church a black eye. (当一名神职人员被判性侵罪的时候, 它也给天主教会带来污名)

07. give a box on the ears, to
定义: 扇人一记耳光(特别是耳朵上).
例句: She gave him a box on the ears for being impertinent. (由于他的粗暴无礼, 她扇了他一记耳光)

08. give a damn about someone/something, to
定义: [不雅语]在乎, 关心某人的事. (注: 经常使用于否定语气上)
例句: I've made my decision and I don't give a damn what they think. (我已经做好了决定, 我才不在乎他们怎么想)

09. give a dog a bad name and hang him, to
定义: 一旦沾上恶名, 很难洗得清; 欲加之罪, 何患无辞. (注: 有恶名者, 第一个被人怀疑)
例句: Give a dog a bad name and you might as well hang him. But give him a good name and he will strive to live up to it. (一旦给某人沾上恶名, 他很难洗得清. 但给他一个良好的声誉, 他会努力地维护它)

10. give a fair crack of the whip, to
定义: 给予人公平机会或待遇.
例句: How do we know that you will give all the participants a fair crack of the whip in the debate? (我们怎么知道你会不会给予所有的辩论参与者一个公平机会?)

11. give a fair shake, to
定义: 给予人公平机会或待遇.
例句: I don't like him but we have to give him a fair shake. (我虽然不喜欢他但我们必须要给他一个公平待遇)

12. give a good account of (oneself), to
定义: 表现不错, 值得信任.
例句: I wasn't feeling well, and I didn't give a good account of myself in this morning's presentation. (我先前感觉不舒服, 我今天早上的简报表现得不好)

13. give a handle to, to
定义: 授人以柄, 给予人可趁之机会或口实.
例句: This oversight gives a handle to our detractors to claim that our work is overrated. (这个疏忽给予了我们的恶意批评者一个宣称我们的工作品质被人过份高估的口实)

14. give a hang, to
定义: 在乎, 关切. (注: 经常使用于否定语气上)
例句: I don't give a hang how he raises it, all I care is he pays me back what he owes me. (我不在乎他怎么筹措这笔钱, 我只在乎他把他欠我的钱还给我)

15. give a helping hand, to
定义: 伸手助人, 伸出援手.
例句: May was always ready with a helping hand. (梅总是随时乐意地伸手助人)

16. give a hoot/two hoots, to
定义: 在乎, 关切. (注: 经常使用于否定语气上)
例句: The problem with Julio is that he doesn't give a hoot about his family. (胡立欧的问题是他根本不关心他的家庭)

17. give a hostage to fortune, to
定义: 冒险的, 不明智的(因为在未来很难做到或者会惹出麻烦).
例句: He has chosen his words carefully so as not to give a hostage to fortune. (为了不惹出麻烦, 他在用字遣词上非常谨慎)

18. give a little, to
定义: 退让一点, 要有弹性, 接受改变. (注: give在此意为退让)
例句: When you discuss the divorce terms, try to give a little. (当你商议这个离婚协议条款的时候, 试着退让一点)

19. give a party, to
定义: 举办派对.
例句: Don't feel pressured by other parents to give a party for your child if you know it wouldn't be appropriate. (如果你认为不适当的话, 你要顶住其他家长对你造成的给你儿女举办派对的压力. 注: 一些家长认为事无大小都该替儿女举办派对庆祝, 你若不同意的话, 你要顶住你儿女的抱怨)

20. give a plug for, to
定义: (电视或广播)节目中借机介绍某产品; 借机会宣传或推销.
例句: He gave a plug for his new book during the interview. (在访谈的当中, 他借机介绍了他的新书)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 355 访客