royl
帖子: 1770
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 458

帖子 royl » 周四 10月 10, 2013 1:48 am

二十笔实用成语 458

01. give a second glance, to
定义: 再看一眼, 看第二眼.
例句: He treats me like the kind of girl you wouldn't give a second glance. How dare he! My mom says I'm beautiful. (他对待我好像那种你不会再看第二眼的女孩. 他怎么可以这样对我! 我妈说我很漂亮)

02. give a talking-to, to
定义: 斥责, 教导.
例句: We gave our daughter a good talking-to about her poor grades. (我们好好地斥责了我们女儿有关她拿的烂成绩)

03. give a wide berth to, to
定义: (在工作环境上)给予别人充分的空间, 保持距离.
例句: I usually give a wide birth to my boss when he is angry. (每当我老板生气的时候, 我通常离他远一点)

04. give an arm and a leg, to
定义: 付出大量金钱.
例句: She'd give an arm and a leg to have her baby back. (她宁愿倾家荡产也要找回她的婴儿)

05. give an attitude, to
定义: 表现出不友善/倨傲的态度.
例句: You can stop giving me an attitude every time you see me. (你不必每次看到我就跟我摆出一副倨傲的态度)

06. give an ear to, to
定义: 聆听, 仔细听.
例句: I tried to tell her what happened but she wouldn't give her ear to my story. (我试图告诉她发生的情况但她不愿听我解说)

07. give an inch and take a mile, to
定义: 得寸进尺.
例句: "I'm always wary about making concessions to these people." "Right, you give them an inch and they'll take a mile." ("我总是小心翼翼地对这些人做出让步." "没错, 你一让步他们便会得寸进尺.")

08. give an inch, to
定义: 一点点地让步或妥协.
例句: We asked the manager to bend the rules a little bit, but he wouldn't give an inch. (我们请求这位经理放松一点规定, 但他一点都不让步)

09. give and take, to
定义: 让步妥协, 交换意见或想法.
例句: Nobody gets everything he wants in this world; we all must give and take. (这世上没有人想要什么就得到什么; 我们都要让步妥协)

10. give as good as one gets, to
定义: 人家怎么对你, 你就怎么对人; 以牙还牙, 以其人之道还治其人之身.
例句: Pat had a black eye and a couple of bruises, but he gave as good as he got, or better. (派特被打得鼻青脸肿, 但他也把对方打得一样惨, 或更惨)

11. give away the store/give the store away, to
定义: 倾囊相授, 把东西全送给人家, 作太多的让步. (注: 经常用于否定语气, 例如作好人可以但不要把东西全送给人家)
例句: You don't have to give away the store to make a customer happy. A fair deal and some empathy go a long way. (你不须要作太多的让步来使客户满意. 公平的交易和一些同理心就足够了)

12. give away, to
定义: 送礼; 赠与; (岳父母或女方代表)把新娘在婚礼上交与新郎; 背叛; 无心的泄露秘密或故事剧情; 比赛求公平所计算出的让分, 让球, 让点.
例句: His accent gave him away as a northerner. (他的口音让人听出他是北方人)

13. give back, to
定义: 归还; 还原; 恢复; 撤退; 退休.
例句: I was feeling down earlier and your words of encouragement gave me back my smile. (我早先还闷闷不乐, 你的鼓励话语让我恢复了愉快心情)

14. give bad marks to ..., to
定义: 给予...坏的分数或评价.
例句: I prefer this product because all the reviews that I have read at retail sites, have never given bad marks to it. (我比较喜爱这个产品是因为我在零售网站看到的所有的对它评价都没有人给它恶劣的评分)

15. give birth to, to
定义: 生产婴儿; 产生, 形成.
例句: Then, three major companies of the food industry joined their hands and gave birth to a new company dedicated to offering restaurant services to travelling people. (当时, 食品工业主要的三家公司联手共同成立一家专门提供旅客餐饮服务的新公司)

16. give chase, to
定义: 追逐, 追捕.
例句: The police gave chase to the man who robbed the store. (警方追捕抢劫商店的男子)

17. give credit where credit is due, to
定义: 归功于有功者, 该赞扬有功者就要大方地赞扬.
例句: "Jane, that was a wonderful meal." "I must give credit where credit is due; Alan helped with all of the cooking." ("珍, 这真是美味的一餐." "我必须归功于有功者; 艾伦帮助做所有的烹饪.")

18. give effect to something, to
定义: 产生某种效果, 感受或气氛; 执行, 执法, 实行, 实现.
例句: The court refused to give effect to that part of the document. (法院拒绝执行这份文件的那部分条款)

19. give evidence/signs, to
定义: 显示迹象或征兆.
例句: I believe the blue smoke coming from your exhaust pipe is giving the signs that your engine is on its last legs. (我相信你的排气管所排出的蓝烟乃是你的引擎快要报销的征兆)
图片
排气管排出的蓝烟

20. give fair warning, to
定义: 给予适时的警告, 给予有充足时间准备的警告.
例句: I'm giving you fair warning that you had better not discuss politics at dinner tonight. (我现在给你适时的警告, 你最好别在今晚晚餐上讨论政治. 注: 意指在欢乐时光别提起有争议性或不愉快的事情)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 335 访客