royl
帖子: 1770
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 461

帖子 royl » 周一 10月 28, 2013 11:04 am

二十笔实用成语 461

01. give one's ears for something/to do something, would
定义: 愿意付出任何代价去取得某物或去做某件事.
例句: I would give my ears just to stay with you even for one hour. (我愿意付出任何代价哪怕只跟你相聚一个钟头)

02. give one's eyeteeth for something/to do something, would
定义: 愿意付出任何代价去取得某物或去做某件事.
例句: Many people would give their eyeteeth for an opportunity like this. (许多人愿意付出任何代价来取得一个像这样的机会)

03. give one's head for washing, to
定义: 俯首称臣, 屈服受辱, 逆来顺受.
例句: I will never give my head for washing to anyone. (我永不向任何人俯首称臣)

04. give one's word, to
定义: 做出承诺.
例句: If you gave your word, do whatever you promised. A person is only as good as his word. (如果你做出承诺, 你必须履行. 人无信不立)

05. give oneself away, to
定义: 无意中透露自己的秘密; 露出马脚; 表露出心虚.
例句: She tried not to look too pleased with the beer he'd given her, but she gave herself away when she consumed the whole thing. (她试图表现出她并不喜欢他给她的啤酒, 但她露出了马脚当她把整瓶啤酒喝光)

06. give oneself over to, to
定义: 受到...强烈影响或控制或支配; 全神投入或献身于某工作.
例句: During my 30s, I gave myself over completely to my work. (在我三十多岁的时候, 我全神投入在我的工作上面)

07. give oneself up, to
定义: 失去抵抗意志, 沉沦于; 投降; 放弃; 投入; 献身.
例句: He gave himself up to despair. (他沉沦于绝望中无法自拔)

08. give or take
定义: 大约估计的正负误差. (注: 估计数字或数量大约限于一个正负数的误差)
例句: I think that he is about 45 years old give or take 5 years. (我看他大概在四十五岁左右正负误差五年)

09. give out, to
定义: 宣布, 发表, 发出, 宣读; 发出气味; 抛锚, 失灵, 失败; 疲倦, 崩溃.
例句: We gave out more than 600 free baseball caps at the shopping center. (我们在这个购物中心散发了六百顶免费棒球帽)

10. give over to, to
定义: 交给, 交出, 委托; 受到...强烈影响或控制或支配; 全神投入或献身于某工作; 专用于某个目的.
例句: One of the upstairs rooms is given over to storage. (楼上房间中有一间是专用来作储藏用的)

11. give over, to
定义: 停止, 结束, 放弃.
例句: They eventually gave over bothering me and let me alone. (他们终于停止烦扰我, 让我清静下来)

12. give pause (for thought), to
定义: 停下来好好地想一想/思考.
例句: Surviving a serious car wreck is an experience that really gives you pause. (从一场严重车祸幸存下来是一个令人停下来好好地思考人生的经验)

13. give place to, to
定义: 被取代, 被接替.
例句: I saw astonishment giving place to horror on the faces of the people when they saw the stock market crash. (当人们看到股市崩盘之后, 我目睹他们脸上的表情从惊讶被恐惧所取代)

14. give preferential treatment to, to
定义: 给予某人优先或特殊待遇.
例句: When you give preferential treatment to minorities in admission or hiring practices, you're in effect saying "You're too stupid or incapable of achieving on your own, so let me help you." (当你给予少数民族在入学或雇用上的优先待遇, 你实际在说"你们太愚蠢或无法凭自己本领达到目标, 所以让我来帮你.")

15. give rise to, to
定义: 导致, 引起, 造成.
例句: The problems with the heating system gave rise to a lot of other problems that we had to solve. (我们不得不要解决供热系统所引发的许多其他问题)

16. give shape to, to
定义: 形成, 具体化, 阐明.
例句: I'm trying to find the right words to give shape to my ideas. (我正努力地寻找适当的字眼来阐​​明我的想法)

17. give short shrift, to
定义: 漠视, 漠不关心.
例句: I've been given short shrift every time I asked for a raise. (每次我要求加薪的时候, 我都遭到漠视)

18. give someone a bad name, to
定义: 给某人带来恶名, 抹黑某人.
例句: We are not here to give cops a bad name. We are making citizens aware of their rights and of the few cops that are abusing their duty to serve and protect our communities. (我们不是在这儿抹黑警察. 我们是让市民知道他们应有的权利以及一群少数罔顾他们对社会服务与保护责任的警员)

19. give someone a bell, to
定义: [英国]打电话给某人.
例句: Give me a bell when you get home so I know you're OK. (当你回到家的时候给我打个电话, 这样子我可以知道你安全到家)

20. give someone a bloody nose, to
定义: 给予某人挫败或羞辱; 将某人打得鼻出血.
例句: If the Democrats win in 2014 elections they will chalk up a victory for incremental control, if they get a bloody nose in the elections they may learn. (如果民主党赢得2014选举的话, 他们会取得逐步控制的胜利, 如果他们选举遭到挫败的话他​​们也许会学到教训)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 384 访客