royl
帖子: 1770
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 462

帖子 royl » 周二 11月 05, 2013 1:24 am

二十笔实用成语 462

01. give someone a boost, to
定义: 给予某人帮助或鼓励; 提高信心或士气.
例句: Winning that award will give her a big boost and encourage her. (赢得那项奖品将会大大地提升她的信心以及激励她)

02. give someone a break, to
定义: 多给某人一点时间, 耐性, 帮助, 宽容或机会; 停止烦扰某人; 给某人一个自新的机会.
例句: Can you give me a break on the price? (能不能给我一个好价钱? 注: 此句话我们也可以重写为: Can you lower the price for me?)

03. give someone a bum steer, to
定义: 给予某人错误的, 无用的或误导的资料, 消息或建议.
例句: Tom gave me a bum steer and I ended up in the wrong town. (汤姆给我一个错误的资料,害我走错到另一个小镇)

04. give someone a buzz/call, to
定义: 打电话给某人.
例句: I'll give you a call when I have a minute. I have your number. (我一有空就会打电话给你. 我有你的号码)

05. give someone a chance, to
定义: 给某人一个机会.
例句: She promised me that she was committed to working things out with me so I decided to give her a chance. (她答应我她要努力跟我一起解决我们之间的问题因此我决定给她一个机会)

06. give someone a choice, to
定义: 给某人一个选择.
例句: I spent ten years with you. I didn't want to leave you but you didn't give me a choice. (我跟你在一起有十年了. 我并不想离开你但你让我别无选择)

07. give someone a cold shoulder, to
定义: 对某人故意地冷淡或冷漠.
例句: She has never made an attempt to get to know me but rather gave me a cold shoulder and a bunch of attitude from the day I first came to this office. (她从不想要了解我反而从我来这办公室工作的一开始就对我冷漠和摆个臭脸色给我看)

08. give someone a cushion, to
定义: (比赛中)使某人安心的领先; 给某人足够的资源不致匮乏.
例句: We went on a couple great runs in the second half to give us a cushion and it was a great win for us. (我们在下半场持续两三次漂亮地得分取得安心的领先, 对我们来说这是一个令人满意的获胜)

09. give someone a cut of ..., to
定义: 给某人...的一部分.
例句: I also told him that if we hit a certain target by the end of the year, I'd give him a cut of the profits. (我也告诉他如果我们在年底之前达到某个目标的话, 我会给他盈利的一部分)

10. give someone a dingle, to
定义: 打电话给某人.
例句: Give me a dingle sometime. My number is in the phone book. (有空给我打个电话. 我的号码可以在电话簿里查得到)

11. give someone a dirty look, to
定义: 给某人白眼; 愤怒或厌恶地看人一眼.
例句: Jennifer saw us walk in and gave me a dirty look. I remember feeling annoyed because Linda and I were just friends and she knew that. (珍妮佛看到我们走进来时愤怒地看了我一眼. 我记得当时我感觉很厌烦因为她明明知道琳达跟我只是普通朋友)

12. give someone a dose of their own medicine, to
定义: 以其人之道还治其人之身.
例句: She's always turning up late for me so I thought I'd give her a taste of her own medicine and see how she likes it. (她总是迟到所以我决定以其人之道还治其人之身,看看她受不受得了)

13. give someone a fat lip, to
定义: [俚语]打肿某人的嘴唇.
例句: Where'd you get the fat lip? Did somebody hit you? (你在哪儿被弄肿了嘴唇? 有人打了你吗?)

14. give someone a fit, to
定义: 使某人大吃一惊或大发脾气.
例句: Once I put a snake in the dryer and gave my mom a fit. (有一次我把一条蛇放在烘干机里让我妈吓了一大跳)

15. give someone a five percent raise/wage increase, to
定义: 给某人(员工)百分之五的加薪. (注: 这里百分之五只是一个例子, 读者可以放任何数字)
例句: The Superintendent talked about "being fair to the taxpayers." She did not seem to worry about "being fair" when she give herself a 15 percent raise. (这位教育局长谈到"对纳税人要公平合理."当她给她自己加了百分之十五薪资的时候, 她似乎并不担心自己是否"公平合理.")

16. give someone a foot in the door, to
定义: 给某人一个立足点, 工作机会以图未来的升迁.
例句: In terms of advantages, it gives you a foot in the door of a potential permanent employment. (就好处来说, 这个工作给你一个潜在的永久性职位的立足点)

17. give someone a fourpenny one, to
定义: [英国俚语]打人一拳, 一巴掌.
例句: I'm going to give you a fourpenny one if you don't behave. (如果你不乖的话我就要打你喽)

18. give someone a free hand, to
定义: 允许某人全权处理, 自由发展, 自行决定, 随心所欲, 为所欲为而不加予控制.
例句: My manager had given me a free hand to make whatever changes I felt necessary. (我的经理允许我全权处理让我做任何的改变如果我觉得有必要的话)

19. give someone a free pass, to
定义: 允许某人自由进出; 放纵某人, 不与某人计较或加予限制.
例句: They have given her a free pass on her unscrupulous behavior over the years. (多年来, 他们一直纵容她的胡作非为)

20. give someone a free rein, to
定义: 允许某人全权处理, 自由发展, 自行决定, 随心所欲, 为所欲为而不加予控制.
例句: He was given free rein in his new job to do what he wanted. (他被允许在这个新工作上自由发展让他想要做什么就做什么)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: Google [Bot] 和 370 访客