royl
帖子: 1770
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 469

帖子 royl » 周六 12月 21, 2013 7:32 am

二十笔实用成语 469

01. give someone what for, to
定义: 责骂, 惩罚某人.
例句: When your dad gets home, he'll give you what for. (等你爸爸回家后, 他会好好的惩治你)

02. give someone/something a jump start, to
定义: 让某人迅速起步; 给与某人新动力; 帮别人启动车子引擎(因为他车子电池死了).
例句: I called the AAA for help and they gave my car a jump start, but the tow truck driver told me the life of the battery was used up and I definitely needed a new one. (我打电话给美国汽车协会求助,他们帮我启动车子引擎, 然而拖车司机告诉我电池的寿命已经用尽了, 我肯定需要一个新电池)

03. give something a fling, to
定义: (因为不在乎得失)尝试做某件事.
例句: I had always thought about starting my own business, and I decided to give it a fling. (我一直想要开创自己的事业, 我决定试一试)

04. give something a free/full rein, to
定义: 让某事自由发展而不去限制它.
例句: Creativity knows no limits. While creating your own music, give it a free rein to come up with some thing that will give you your desired break in the industry. (创造力是无限的. 在你创作音乐的时候, 你要充分地发挥创造力由此产生出一件你渴望在音乐界一举成名的作品)

05. give something a good clean, to
定义: 将某物好好清洗一翻.
例句: It's now time to give your car a good clean. For a few bucks, the local car wash station is an ideal place to clean the engine bay, door jambs and undercarriage with a pressure washer. (现在正是把你的车子好好清洗的时候. 只要花几块钱, 你附近的洗车站是个使用高压清洗机清洗引擎舱, 门框以及车底盘的理想地方)
图片
高压清洗机
图片
引擎舱
图片
门框
图片
车底盘

06. give something a lick and a promise, to
定义: 匆忙草率地做事或清洗.
例句: He gave the problem a lick and a promise and then moved on to the next issue. (他草率地处理了这个问题后马上又转移到下一个议题)

07. give something a miss, to
定义: 不参加某个活动.
例句: I had so much else to do that I decided to give the party a miss. (我有好多其他的事要做, 我决定不参加这个派对了)

08. give something a once-over, to
定义: 将某物很快的清理; 将某事迅速的检视一翻.
例句: We drove by the house and gave it the once-over. It looks nice to me. (我们开车到这栋房子, 快速地看了一遍. 我觉得还不错)

09. give something a shot, to
定义: 努力地尝试某事, 努力地试一试.
例句: I want to give boxing a shot. I've always dreamed of becoming a lightweight champion. (我想要尝试拳击. 我一直梦想要成为一个轻量级拳击冠军)

10. give something a whirl, to
定义: 试试看, 对某物作一个短暂或实验性的尝试.
例句: I thought I'd give acting a whirl. (我想要尝试一下演艺工作)

11. give something away, to
定义: 把东西送人; 把某事泄露或透露出来.
例句: When Larry bought his new computer he gave his old one away. (赖瑞买了新电脑之后他把他的旧电脑送人)

12. give something back to the community, to
定义: 回馈社区或社会.
例句: NOPD got into the Christmas spirit on Thursday, where they took a time-out from crime fighting to give back to the community. (新奥尔良警局于星期四也受到了圣诞节精神的鼓舞, 他们暂时放下打击犯罪的工作来回馈社会)

13. give something back, to
定义: 把东西还人.
例句: Can you give my textbook back? I need it now. (你能不能把我的课本还给我? 我现在需要用它了)

14. give something full play, to
定义: 充分利用某物; 让某事充分地发展.
例句: Imagination should be given full play in equipping a backyard playground. (在装备你后院的游乐场, 你要充分发挥你的想像力)

15. give something one's best shot, to
定义: 把你压箱底的工夫使出来, 尽你全力试试看.
例句: See what you can do. Give the assignment your best shot. (看看你能做些什么. 尽你全力试试看这个任务吧)

16. give something pride of place, to
定义: 放在最高/最重要/最显著的位置/地位.
例句: Parents in happy families give pride of place to their relationship and to the upbringing of their children. (快乐家庭的父母把他们之间的关系和儿女教养摆在最重要的地位)

17. give a/the thumbs-down, to
定义: 显示你否认, 拒绝, 不同意或谴责某事发生.
例句: When I asked my son if they won, he just shook his head and gave me a thumbs-down. (当我问我儿子他们赢了比赛没有, 他只摇摇头, 表示他们没赢)

18. give a/the thumbs-up, to
定义: 显示出你赞赏, 喜欢, 同意或鼓励某事发生.
例句: My mom gave me the thumbs-up after I scored the goal. (看到当我得分之后, 我妈妈给我一个赞许)

19. give something thought/consideration, to
定义: 考虑某事.
例句: We've given your proposal a lot of thought. (我们仔细地考虑了你的提议)

20. give something to someone on a plate, to
定义: 让某人不劳而获/轻易地取得某物.
例句: He was handed the job on a plate. (他轻易地得到这份工作)

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 391 访客