royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 807

帖子 royl » 周四 4月 11, 2019 2:45 am

二十笔实用成语 807

01. odds-on bet, an
定义: 赢面大的赌注.
例句: For a 4 to 1 odds-on bet, often written ¼, and you place $4 on a horse and, if it wins, you win $1 and get your $4 back of course. (对于一场4比1赢面大的赌注, 经常被写为¼, 然后你下注四块钱在某匹马上, 如果你赢的话, 你便赢得一块钱, 当然你也会拿回你原来的四块钱赌本)

02. odds-on favorite, the
定义: 有胜算的优势.
例句: Who do you think is the odds-on favorite to win the World Cup? (你认为那一队享有赢得这次世界杯胜算的优势?)

03. odor of sanctity, the
定义: 神圣的优越特质; 装模作样地虔诚; 自以为道德高尚.
例句: The speaker puts off some audience members with his odor of sanctity. (这名演讲员摆出自以为道德高尚的模样遭到某些观众的厌恶)

04. of ... extraction
定义: 具有...血统, 某个族群后裔.
例句: The company is led by several naturalized American citizens of Chinese extraction. (这家公司是由几名具有中国人血统的归化美国公民所领导的)

05. of a mind to do something, be
定义: 想要或可能要做某事.
例句: I'm of a mind to call them up and ask for a refund! (我打算要打电话给他们并且要求退钱!)

06. of a piece, be
定义: 相似的, 前后一致的, 一贯的, 和谐的.
例句: These essays are of a piece with his earlier work. (这些论文跟他早期写的文章的论点是前后一致的)

07. of a sort/kind
定义: 相似的, 大同小异; 普通, 不怎么样, 较差的.
例句: They gave us meat of a sort; we could hardly eat it. (他们给我们一种类似肉的东西; 我们几乎无法下咽. 注: 意指他们所供给的肉食乃是一种来路不明的或经过加工的神秘肉品)
图片
神秘肉品

08. of age
定义: 年龄; 成年的, 符合法律上成人的.
例句: Just because you're of age doesn't mean you're suddenly versed in the ways of the world—you're still just a kid. (就因为你已经成年了并不意味你突然深晓世上的人情义理—你还是个小孩子啊)

09. of all (the) ...!
定义: 表达惊讶, 不满, 愤怒. (注: 请看of all the nerve! 好大的胆子!)
例句: Why did my car break down now of all times, when I can least afford it?! (不知为什么, 我的车子什么时候不坏却偏偏现在坏了, 尤其是正当我手头最紧的时候?!)

10. of all people
定义: 所有人里你最应该...; 令人想不到地; 某人居然会... (注: 意指在许多人中, 某人应该不会选择去做令人惊讶的事)
例句: You of all people should be sympathetic, having just had a similar accident yourself. (所有人里你是最应该具有同情心的, 因为你自己也曾经遇到一件类似的意外事故)

11. of all persuasions
定义: 各种信仰的.
例句: I hope that other colleagues of all political persuasions will join me and support this worthy cause. (我希望其他持有各种信仰的同事们和我共同支持这个令人敬佩的义举)

12. of all places
定义: 令人想不到地; 在许多地方中, 居然会在... (注: 意指在许多地方中, 某人居然会选择去某地方)
例句: She met her future husband in a grocery store, of all places. (有那么多的地方可以去, 但她居然在一家杂货店里遇见了她的未来丈夫)

13. of all the nerve!
定义: 好大的胆子!
例句: Of all the nerve! Asking me to do a thing like that! (你好大的胆子! 居然要我去做那种事情!)

14. of all things
定义: 令人想不到地; 在许多选择中, 某人居然选择... (注: 意指在许多选择中, 某人居然会选择去做令人惊讶的事)
例句: After spending his childhood in and out of detention centers, he became, of all things, a cop. (经历了童年时代进进出出青少年感化中心之后, 有那么多的职业选择, 他居然成为一名员警)

15. of all time
定义: 有史以来.
例句: You could call that round the biggest fluke of all time. (你可以称那回合的比赛为有史以来最大的侥幸事件. 注: 意指某人的胜利是纯因侥幸才取得的)

16. of any importance, be
定义: 具有重要性. (注: 这个片语经常跟否定语not一起使用, 其结果就会变成不重要的)
例句: Nobody of any importance wants anything to do with Tom except a few fading lightweights trying to revive their flagging careers. (除了一些走下坡的小角色还在力图振兴他们萎靡不振的生涯之外, 没有一个有身份的人愿意跟汤姆交往)

17. of average build, be
定义: 普通身材的.
例句: He was a man of average build with curly dark hair and an air of confidence about him that bordered on haughtiness. (他是个留着黑色卷发的普通身材男子, 他带有近乎傲慢的自信模样)

18. of consequence, be
定义: 重要的, 后果严重的. (注: 这个片语经常跟否定语not一起使用, 其结果就会变成不重要的, 不严重的)
例句: We only have a limited amount of time in which to conduct this meeting, so let's please stick to matters of consequence. (我们时间紧迫没有多少时间开这个会议, 所以请大家尽量捡重要的事项讨论)

19. of course
定义: 当然.
例句: Of course you can use my car if you want to. (你当然可以使用我的车子如果你想要的话)

20. of course not
定义: 当然不(是); 当然没有.
例句: "Are you angry with me for being late?" "Of course not!" ("你是不是因为我的迟到, 生我的气?" "当然不是!")

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 64 访客