royl
帖子: 1762
注册时间: 周一 12月 14, 2009 9:10 pm

二十笔实用成语 924

帖子 royl » 周三 10月 28, 2020 5:56 am

二十笔实用成语 924

01. red rag to a bull, like a
定义: 想要激起某人的愤怒. (注: 就像在公牛前晃动红布一样地)
例句: You do realize that bringing your new girlfriend to your ex-wife's house is like a red rag to a bull, right? (你应当明白带着你的新女友去你前妻家里无异是想要激起她的愤怒, 不是吗?)

02. red-carpet treatment, a
定义: 高规格的接待.
例句: She's one of our most loyal customers, so be sure she gets the red-carpet treatment whenever she comes into our store. (她是我们最忠诚的客户之一, 因此每当她来我们店里买东西的时候, 务必要给予她高规格的接待)
图片
以红地毯为象征的高规格接待

03. redeeming feature, a
定义: 可取之处, 尚有可弥补其他缺憾的优点.
例句: He has a lot of faults, but his loyalty is his most redeeming feature. (他有许多缺点, 但他最可取之处是他的忠诚个性)

04. redheaded stepchild, a
定义: 遭受冷落的人或鄙弃的人.
例句: For years, Clark says, country music "was treated as a redheaded stepchild," but now he says "country music's in." (多年来, 克拉克说, 乡村音乐"被视为受人冷落的继子女,"但是现在他说"乡村音乐正在大行其道.")
图片
这里所提到的Clark乃是在乡村音乐界极具代表性的Roy Clark

05. red-letter day, a
定义: 重大日子, 特别日子, 喜庆日子.
例句: My college graduation was a real red-letter day for my whole family. (我的大学毕业对我整个家庭来说是个意义重大的日子)

06. redneck, a
定义: [不尊重语]红脖子, 观念狭隘的人, 白人乡村工人阶层(尤其在美国南方), 没见过世面的, 保守的以及有偏见的白人.
例句: But now the rednecks are calling the shots, and the neocons are telling them how. (然而现今是由红脖子在当权, 那些新保守主义者则教导他们该怎么做)

07. reduce someone to silence, to
定义: 使某人无言以对或安静下来.
例句: I've had my vocal critics over the years, but I have faith that my next project will reduce them all to silence. (这些年来我受到多个对我大声抨击的批评者, 但我深具信心我下一个工作项目将会使这些批评者无话可说)

08. reduce someone to tears, to
定义: 把某人质问, 训斥或伤害到潸然泪下.
例句: The lawyer's hurtful questions soon reduced Karla to tears. (这名律师提出的令人痛苦难堪问题致使卡拉潸然泪下)

09. reduced circumstances, the
定义: 每况愈下, 日渐拮据穷困的地步.
例句: Our reduced circumstances have meant moving into a much smaller house in a rougher part of town. (我们日渐拮据的状况意味着我们不得不搬入更加吵杂喧哗和犯罪丛生的城区, 住进更狭小的房子)

10. reduced to ashes, be
定义: 被烧毁为灰烬.
例句: Paradise is just one town out of many that have been reduced to ashes, with more than 7,500 structures destroyed. (帕拉代斯只是许多被烧毁为灰烬的城镇之一, 镇上至少七千五百栋建筑物被摧毁)

11. reel off, to
定义: 长篇流畅地叙述或朗诵; 轻松做好一系列工作; 一连串地计算与记录下来.
例句: Rose can help you study – she can reel off all the elements on the periodic table like it's no big deal. (萝思可以帮你读书– 她能够流畅地一口气念出化学元素周期表上的所有元素,念完还当作没什么大不了的事)

12. reflect on, to
定义: 思考; 回想; 反省; 反映.
例句: Stuck in bed with a broken leg, all I could do was reflect on the accident that put me there. (由于撞断了腿被困在床上休养, 我唯一所能做的事便是反思一下这次把我弄成如此狼狈不堪的车祸是如何发生的)

13. refrain from, to
定义: 忍住, 克制, 自制, 控制.
例句: I wanted to slam the door in front of his face but I refrained from doing so. (我本想当他的面摔门但是我还是忍住了这个冲动)

14. refresh one's memory, to
定义: 重温; 回想; 唤起记忆; 提醒.
例句: I'm sorry, I don't remember our discussion about that. You'll have to refresh my memory. (抱歉, 我不记得我们对那件事的讨论细节. 你还得帮我重温一下我的记忆)

15. refrigerated food vs. frozen food
定义: [易混淆字或片语]refrigerated food是高于摄氏零度的冷藏食物; frozen food是低于摄氏零度的冷冻食物.

16. regain control, to
定义: 重夺控制权.
例句: As long as you have a will to do better, you will be able to regain control of your life and get things back on track. (只要你下决心要做得更好, 你将能够重新将你的生活纳入你的掌控之中, 并且让情况回归正轨)

17. regarded as, be
定义: 被认为, 被认定.
例句: The couple are regarded as having one of the strongest marriages in showbiz. (这对夫妇被大家视为在演艺圈中拥有最坚定不移婚姻关系之一的夫妻)

18. regardless of how/what/why etc.
定义: 不论如何, 不管怎样.
例句: The team meeting will proceed regardless of who is present or absent. Those absent members need to accept the decision of the team. (不论谁出席或谁不出席, 这个团队会议仍将如期举行. 那些缺席会议的队员则必须接受会议所做出的决议)

19. regardless of the consequences
定义: 不计后果如何, 不顾结局如何.
例句: True friends are those who stick by you regardless of the consequences. (真正的朋友乃是那些不计后果如何仍对你不离不弃的人)

20. regretfully vs. regrettably
定义: [易混淆字或片语]这两个副词都具有遗憾的意义, 但regretfully主要是指因为某人做了令人遗憾之事而表示懊悔之意, 而与前述之定义无关的regrettably乃是指说话者所提起的一件令人婉惜之事. 它和unfortunately意义相似.

回复

在线用户

正浏览此版面之用户: 没有注册用户 和 42 访客